Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:12 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Peter, I don't think anyone is saying that they'd deny rights to the lgbt. That's not what this is about. It's about believing that the HERO ordinance would be a boon for economic growth in Houston, even if it is just tech. That's silly. A city ordinance wouldn't make Houston string again.

I don't think a hero ordinance wouldn't hurt and it certainly could help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 11:13 AM

110 posts, read 295,000 times
Oil and gas drives wages, which drives local demand for goods and services which drives employment, which drives population growth. We need more businesses identifying and targeting new market segments with products or services that can be offered worldwide, instead of servicing existing ones.

Part of the problem is that Houston is not perceived as being as young and dynamic as competing cities like Austin, LA, or SF. So we attract more people who want a steady paycheck, instead of more entrepreneurial talent. We need an ecosystem that supports and nourishes risk-taking and entrepreneurial mindsets.

Oil money was easy money, so there was no incentive to take risks with other industries. But the downside is you're subject to huge swings in economic activity due to changes in commodity prices. I don't think the oil and gas industry is coming back. Fracking really opened up a can of worms, because it increased supply way too much. A tremendous amount of market consolidation is needed to get prices back up; but with so many producers and flat demand, there's only so much that can be done to limit supply.

Simultaneously, Tesla is opening a new era in clean energy with its cheaper batteries. World population growth is also slowing down, which will result in slow demand for energy growth, most of which can be serviced with cheaper renewable energy combined with storage, instead of massive infrastructure for fossil fuel plants and sprawling electric grids.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:14 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I'm not butthurt at all nor did I result to insults or doom and gloom. I'm not sure if you are confusing me with some other poster but you seem entirely off base in your response.
Well why were you pushing a narrative? In the end most businesses aren't leading and hurting NC. They don't plan to relocate or stay in NC only to change their minds due to a proposed bill that doesn't directly affect their finances.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghall00 View Post
Oil and gas drives wages, which drives local demand for goods and services which drives employment, which drives population growth. We need more businesses identifying and targeting new market segments with products or services that can be offered worldwide, instead of servicing existing ones.

Part of the problem is that Houston is not perceived as being as young and dynamic as competing cities like Austin, LA, or SF. So we attract more people who want a steady paycheck, instead of more entrepreneurial talent. We need an ecosystem that supports and nourishes risk-taking and entrepreneurial mindsets.

Oil money was easy money, so there was no incentive to take risks with other industries. But the downside is you're subject to huge swings in economic activity due to changes in commodity prices. I don't think the oil and gas industry is coming back. Fracking really opened up a can of worms, because it increased supply way too much. A tremendous amount of market consolidation is needed to get prices back up; but with so many producers and flat demand, there's only so much that can be done to limit supply.

Simultaneously, Tesla is opening a new era in clean energy with its cheaper batteries. World population growth is also slowing down, which will result in slow demand for energy growth, most of which can be serviced with cheaper renewable energy combined with storage, instead of massive infrastructure for fossil fuel plants and sprawling electric grids.

Houston doesn't have an issue with attracking younger folks, it's not Austin but still not problematic

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...worst-for.html

Old 08-10-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Well why were you pushing a narrative? In the end most businesses aren't leading and hurting NC. They don't plan to relocate or stay in NC only to change their minds due to a proposed bill that doesn't directly affect their finances.

Pushing a narrative? You mean posting about and discussing current events? Could you actually tell me or specifically by quoting what I said that points out what narrative I'm pushing?

Old 08-10-2016, 11:18 AM

270 posts, read 405,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post

Houston's leaders know that more diversification is needed. However, the problem is that O&G is like a super-effective intoxicant. When it's going good, it generates huge numbers of really well-paying jobs for educated / trained people. Who's going to say no to that? And our region took a big, big dose from 2011-2014. Problem is, this high-paying job growth just starts dominating and sucking up all the dynamism, seemingly not leaving much room for other industries to grow - they just can't pay as much for either direct labor (wages) or vendor contracts. So folks and businesses will tend to sit around waiting for upstream O&G to come back rather than do the difficult and less financially rewarding (in the short term) work of creating a more diversified industry profile.
This is very insightful. In one corner of the world I know (aerospace, which like O&G relies heavily on engineering) the competition during the boom for Mechanical and Electrical Engineers was intense. Aerospace paid solid engineering salaries in Houston (probably on the high side nationally when you consider cost of living) but there was no way they could compete with those during the peak of the boom, in particular fresh outs and those that weren't as familiar with the boom/bust cycle of energy. I'm sure it's similar in other engineering-heavy industries that may consider Houston.

I definitely know of projects that did not locate here because of that. They couldn't pay enough for the labor or were afraid of employees getting hired away for double the salary. For the same reason, much of the aerospace industry has moved out of California as well (before Silicon Valley was there, Palo Alto and Sunnyvale were NASA/Lockheed towns and those engineer's kids founded the tech industry).

Old 08-10-2016, 11:21 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times
Bit of a generalization to call oil money "easy money". The growth in unconventionals development and production that drove a lot of the good times in Houston was driven by newly-formed independent companies, and the rapid growth of many midsized ones.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:25 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
The answer is simple: diversification.

Oil is going to boom and bust. It always has and it always will. The economical stability of our city depends on our leaders doing everything they can to lure non O&G businesses to Houston.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:37 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
The answer is simple: diversification.

Oil is going to boom and bust. It always has and it always will. The economical stability of our city depends on our leaders doing everything they can to lure non O&G businesses to Houston.
True but the O&G highs (the booms) are SOOOO HIGHHH. So like an addict you keep looking for / waiting for that next boom, to feel that way again.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:41 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
So what has Dallas done to attract other business? It seems to be gaining tech companies and fosters more start ups too. What can Houston do to be more like Dallas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston