Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2016, 01:44 PM

309 posts, read 424,956 times

Advertisements

I had an appointment with my orthopedic doctor for my back about two weeks ago. Based on my MRI results, he suggested taking 6 sessions of physical therapy for my thoracic and lumbar back to gain some strength, increase flexibility, etc.

The PT clinic he referred me to charge about $150 a session, which seems like a lot to me. (I have BCBS of Texas insurance but have a deductible of about $3000.) Does anyone on this forum have experiences with taking Physical Therapy in Houston for cheaper rates? I'd really appreciate any and all feedback. I live in the Galleria area.

Thanks as always!

-RJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 08:17 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,519,252 times
I did 4 sessions after I threw out my back earlier this year. Each session was $300 before insurance, $80 was my out of pocket. This was at the affiliated hospital physical therapy branch. So it was quite expensive to go that route. I'd probably try to find a small independent physical therapy clinic, I'm guessing you could get a session for $50-$80 or so but I haven't looked into it. If I have to do it again I'll definitely go that route.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:59 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,883,127 times
I have United Healthcare Healthselect as a state employee, and am currently doing physical therapy for excruciating sciatic nerve pain. My copay is about $38. I'm also going to get an injection, but I don't know yet how much that will be. I'll pay anything to take care of this pain. It's a major quality of life situation.

When I go to P.T. sessions, I realize just how many people there must be in the same situation with back-related pain. One lady today was sobbing while trying to do exercises. But with time, the pain does tend to get a lot better.

Hope all goes well for you.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:17 PM

309 posts, read 424,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
I have United Healthcare Healthselect as a state employee, and am currently doing physical therapy for excruciating sciatic nerve pain. My copay is about $38. I'm also going to get an injection, but I don't know yet how much that will be. I'll pay anything to take care of this pain. It's a major quality of life situation.

When I go to P.T. sessions, I realize just how many people there must be in the same situation with back-related pain. One lady today was sobbing while trying to do exercises. But with time, the pain does tend to get a lot better.

Hope all goes well for you.
Thanks a lot everyone.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:20 PM

277 posts, read 304,612 times
Awesome YouTube physical therapist exercises available for free! I have had over 40 PT visits due to as car accident, Google thoracic lumbar physical therapy and stick with kinesiologists or PT groups..excellent ones out there..

Old 12-17-2016, 06:23 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma23peas View Post
Awesome YouTube physical therapist exercises available for free! I have had over 40 PT visits due to as car accident, Google thoracic lumbar physical therapy and stick with kinesiologists or PT groups..excellent ones out there..
I'm so glad I found this thread. I have to start physical therapy for my shoulder next week and I can't afford it. The doctor wants me to go to 3 sessions/per week at $40/session for 8 weeks. Who can afford $120/week on physical therapy? I spoke to a patient at my office and she said she couldn't afford her therapy either. She went to one therapy session and her husband devised a pulley system at home for her. She worked at home by herself to improve her mobility and now her shoulder is fine.

It helps that I have had a similar shoulder surgery on both shoulders before, so I know what to expect. I think I will take a couple of sessions, buy some of the equipment like the bands and squeeze balls, and try it myself at home. I'll look on YouTube for videos so I can do the exercises that apply to my specific injury/surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: