Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 11:45 AM

130 posts, read 134,839 times

Advertisements

One of the rooms in the house I want to buy look curved/warped instead of flat. The sellers (who didn't do an inspection according to the disclosure papers) said the walls were already like that when the builders sold the house to them and since it doesn't bother them, they didn't ask to have them fixed.

What causes warped/non flat walls? I don't remember seeing walls that looked like that before. Could this be a sign of a major problem or is it just cosmetic? Would it bother you? I personally don't care as long as it's juts a cosmetic problem but I worry that some buyers might make it an issue at resale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 12:10 PM

675 posts, read 1,452,891 times
If you saw it as an issue, others for sure will. I would have the wall opened up and see what is causing that issue. Walls are supposed to be FLAT.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:57 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Default How far out?

Often the framers get lazy, they put a 2x4 slightly out of alignment, usually 1/8 won't show up too much, but 1/4 could if it is the only one.

I think you are right to ignore it, it is no big deal and like the previous owners, you will always know, but over time, it won't matter much at all. Besides that one wall, if you like it, you should not let that stop you. It probably costs more than it is worth to fix.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:54 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
Take a look at the pics at the end of this post. Be familiar with wall ghosting. It's caused mostly by the light coming into the room. Drywall is not flat. Drywall has tapered edges. This allows for the tape and float which is a human applied product and it requires a lot of technique to apply it where ghosting is not an issue when the light comes across it. Drywallers do not sand a house to make the walls perfect. Any cosmetic irregularities are governed by standing in the middle of the room, can you see the imperfection. That's the industry standard. Considering it's Houston area, I'm not surprised the walls are an issue. Some of the worst houses I've seen were in Houston.
https://www.google.com/search?q=wall...HRhfDd0QsAQIKg

Depending on the plan and where the issue is, assess if putting up drapes that would cut the light out, help with the issue. If possible, look at the house at night and see if the walls appear straight. If they look straight at night, ghosting is the issue, not crooked studs.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:08 PM

860 posts, read 1,584,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbc0815 View Post
One of the rooms in the house I want to buy look curved/warped instead of flat. The sellers (who didn't do an inspection according to the disclosure papers) said the walls were already like that when the builders sold the house to them and since it doesn't bother them, they didn't ask to have them fixed.

What causes warped/non flat walls? I don't remember seeing walls that looked like that before. Could this be a sign of a major problem or is it just cosmetic? Would it bother you? I personally don't care as long as it's juts a cosmetic problem but I worry that some buyers might make it an issue at resale.
Since the sellers didn't have the property inspected, you should have it done! It's money well spent.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:55 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
WE bought a new townhouse in 1998. Many of the walls were not flat, because the drywall people did a crappy job of taping and floating. Other walls weren't flat because a stud was out of line. All of the issues were cosmetic, but it took the builder several months to fix, and involved a lot of new drywall. In one spot, after the sheetrock was removed, there was a note written in black marker "Fix this before sheet rock".

Our inspector said there were no structural issues, it just all looked bad.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:12 PM

130 posts, read 134,839 times
I appreciate the replies. I just realized that I wrote "the room looks curved" when what I meant is the walls look curved but I know everyone figured that out . Actually, they don't just "look" curved, they are in fact curved.

I know it's not just ghosting because the warping is very noticeable. It has a horizontal crown molding in the center and even it is curved too. If you slide your hand from top to bottom of the wall, you will definitely feel the "bump" in the middle part. If this was a result of lazy framing, would it even be possible to put a straight crown molding on a non flat wall?

The owners still live there so I don't think they will be happy if someone were to open a wall in their home or even make a cut on it. There are 2 walls in the same room that are warped in the center.

I could not find a picture on the internet that looks anything like what I described, so I altered a photo of a perfectly flat wall in Photoshop to make it look like the walls at the house I'm buying . The curvature looks a lot like this.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:03 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Default Ha!

That is hilarious. 'But is it really that deformed? If so, yes, it would bother the hell out of me. I'd get bids on fixing it, then ask them to deduct that much from the price. If it is indeed as bad as you make it to be, others are going to wonder what the heck is wrong.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:07 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
That's pretty much what our walls in the townhouse looked like before the builder fixed them. If a stud is nailed out of line, and not fixed, that's what happens. Or, some studs aren't very straight, and you get a curve.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:10 PM

61,651 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
Since the sellers didn't have the property inspected, you should have it done! It's money well spent.
^^^ This! You are just about to make a biggest purchase in your life, and you absolutely need to know what you are buying. Get an independent inspector and let him check the whole house. You need to know everything about it BEFORE the purchase.
BTW: I don't trust seller inspections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston