Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 02:12 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,230 times

Advertisements

Since the city of Houston will likely not have a skyscraper boom anytime soon to the extent that we had this decade, are you content with how our skyline has developed? I think the most impressive improvement was uptown, driving from bellaire to the galleria on 610north is seriously breathtaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 03:38 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
Skyscrapers don't really impress me. What I am impressed by are all the bars and restaurants that have popped up over the past decade. Those I can actually enjoy.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:38 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Since the city of Houston will likely not have a skyscraper boom anytime soon to the extent that we had this decade, are you content with how our skyline has developed? I think the most impressive improvement was uptown, driving from bellaire to the galleria on 610north is seriously breathtaking.

You don't think Chevron will build it's new tower downtown, eventually ?

SkyriseCities

Old 08-14-2016, 06:20 PM

693 posts, read 1,107,891 times
I literally have zero fs to give about the skyscraper situation in Houston. Crime, terrible highway construction plans, rampant illegal immigration... yeah those all impact Houston way more than some buildings.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:41 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
I literally have zero fs to give about the skyscraper situation in Houston. Crime, terrible highway construction plans, rampant illegal immigration... yeah those all impact Houston way more than some buildings.
Are you complaining about the plans for the downtown highway ring? Not taking sides, but asking you to elaborate.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:47 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Given construction costs and the desired efficiency of office floorplates these days, most office buildings over 40 stories aren't going to make economic sense. So those who think urban prestige should be based on "supertalls" need to readjust their metrics.

Houston's office rents - and residential rents for that matter - aren't as high as in some other cities like NYC and London. This is a definitely a good thing in my opinion (I know some disagree with that). So the architectural extras and excessive height you see in these other expensive cities are simply not justified here. I think Houston has done just fine despite the lack of new distinctive tall buildings.

Frankly I'm more interested in how our city is experienced on the ground level. We're getting better, in my opinion, but still have a ways to improve. Of course, there are those who think our urban qualities are measured by how much surface parking is available and easily seen from our city streets, and such folks are getting more pessimistic these days as that kind of development becomes rarer in the middle of town.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:10 PM

958 posts, read 2,573,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Given construction costs and the desired efficiency of office floorplates these days, most office buildings over 40 stories aren't going to make economic sense. So those who think urban prestige should be based on "supertalls" need to readjust their metrics.

Houston's office rents - and residential rents for that matter - aren't as high as in some other cities like NYC and London. This is a definitely a good thing in my opinion (I know some disagree with that). So the architectural extras and excessive height you see in these other expensive cities are simply not justified here. I think Houston has done just fine despite the lack of new distinctive tall buildings.

Frankly I'm more interested in how our city is experienced on the ground level. We're getting better, in my opinion, but still have a ways to improve. Of course, there are those who think our urban qualities are measured by how much surface parking is available and easily seen from our city streets, and such folks are getting more pessimistic these days as that kind of development becomes rarer in the middle of town.
We're probably at the tail end of the sky scraper growth for a generation (20yrs).

Old 08-15-2016, 09:27 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
I think Houston will continue to build scrapers but you won't see many over 800 feet. Maybe one or two proposals every 10 years or so. But those that are in the 400-600 feet range I think will continue to get built in Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post

good

Old 08-15-2016, 12:18 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Skyscrapers don't really impress me. What I am impressed by are all the bars and restaurants that have popped up over the past decade. Those I can actually enjoy.
Now we know contributor either disdains architecture and cityscapes or is not noticing of them. So what. Why should we care that bars are one of contributor's preferred art forms. This thread is architecture and major construction related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
Oh OK maybe you can define "skyscraper situation" for us. I can agree on your illegal immigration point, but I've got news for you, the Houston highway planning/building historically was considered in the trade magazines to be a benchmark for the rest of the country. Except now with the 7 year and counting 290 construction, that may have changed. That said about 290 I am pleased that they are getting expansion done at all given the small right of way and minimal eminent domain employment.

Last edited by groovamos; 08-15-2016 at 12:40 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 12:46 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
Skyscraper boom? Skyscrapers have been a part of the Houston skyline for decades. Also, I don't see any boom or noticeable increase in them in this decade. The title and content of the original post seem to be at odds with each other.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 08-15-2016 at 12:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: