Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 682 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I just landed in Houston a month ago from Dallas. It seems like the job market is kind of rough around here with all the O&G folks laid off. Do you guys have any suggestions for job searching around here? I know to look on Indeed or LinkedIn. But rather any inside scoop such as companies or who is building a new complex, and similar things. I've been on 24/7 and nothing has worked so it's a been frustrating so any help would be greatly appreciated.

My experience has been in healthcare recruiting/management (AR/AP/Compliance/Payroll/Office Manager) for two years. Houston being the capital of hospitals and healthcare seemed like a good fit but I'm having a harder time here than in Dallas. I've applied to 200 posts, gotten about 5 calls and 4 interviews. Some friends work for competitors here but they are not hiring right now.

And yes, I have tried on my own and below are my findings:

The jobs over in the medical center require some things such as advanced degrees (MBA/MHA) or "certifications" like SPHR, CCS-P, etc. This makes my job hunting harder with hospitals (Methodist, MD, Texas Childrens) as my previous company did not require them. The other issue is experience, I have 2 years yet most jobs with similar title require 3 years. Yet when I apply to entry level positions I'm disqualified due to being "overqualified".

Also, compensation has been something I have to come to accept. My previous overall comp was ~64-69K with 2 years experience in healthcare management/recruiting. Most jobs are offering ~32-40K, at first I was not considering those jobs as the salaries are way low. I guess beggars can't be choosers and will have to take a lifestyle hit.

If it all fails, I might head to Midland and take a 14/7 frac job if I can't find a job here. Which will suck because I will be paying for an apartment I don't live in but it's better than not making payment on it and getting kicked out. My plan is to save up money and cancel the lease, my friend is in RE and is offering a 2/1 in Montrose for 700. I have enough savings to keep me going through the end of October, but the usual corporate recruitment cycle takes a month so I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket and run through my savings with no job. At least I can get hired in Midland the same day.

So eutx, why did you come to Houston without a job?
I was getting transferred to Houston and given some money to get an apartment, but 3 weeks before moving there was a compliance violation at work and my boss told me he took care of it. Later I was talking with another boss and she didn't know about it, he lied to me to keep it under the rug. His family member is a C-Level Exec so he is not to be touched; so instead of firing him, they blamed me for not reporting (despite being told it was taken care of and not worry about it) and fired me.

Thanks all!

Oh, and go Cowboys!

Edit: I have an interview lined up with a competitor in Dallas, guaranteed job offer plus a family member will let me stay with them. Then again, the issue comes up....I will be paying rent for an apartment I will not be occupying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 08:12 PM

92 posts, read 60,645 times
Have you called any recruiters and sent them your resume? Call all of them in Houston and have them all work for you to find a job, they may already have a position that would fit you. But I guess... do recruiters find positions for other recruiters though? :-/

Start up companies? TMCx, START Houston, Station Houston?

Craigslist... you never know what you'll find there. I have friends that have found amazing positions with smaller companies on CL.

Indeed, linkedin, individual company websites. Use the keywords that you mentioned above and search other related topics. Did you check city, country, state, govt positions?

Follow up follow up follow up. Don't forget to follow up with everyone you've already applied with

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston