Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 01:29 PM

184 posts, read 205,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
stay away from geico, they are horrible in an accident/claims situation.

We have Texas Farm Bureau and couldn't be happier.
And we've had nothing but outstanding service with GEICO for accident/claims. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 01:51 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,277,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Every couple of years, our insurance rate spikes, I make an angry phone call to my agent, and he shops around to find us a better rate. We've never had any auto claims, and only had one home claim right after we bought our house almost 4 years ago. As such, I don't know how helpful our current insurance company (or at least a couple of our previous ones) would perform if we needed them.

For 300k home coverage with 5% deductible we pay a bit under $900/year (Homeowners of America). At one point, one of our previous insurers raised our rate to nearly triple that.

For full coverage on two 2016 vehicles (two drivers), we pay around $1850/year. Travelers.

From my experience, if an insurance company constantly runs TV, youtube, and print ads, then they have high overhead costs that they pass on to consumers.
How is Homeowners of america? We have them too for similar coverage. Hopefully we never get to file a claim with them but just want to get some feedback about them

Old 08-29-2016, 01:54 PM

1,502 posts, read 1,756,838 times
I just switched to them, so (thankfully) no claims or direct interactions with them yet, other than writing the check.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:11 PM

675 posts, read 921,167 times
If you are eligible, get USAA. They have the best customer service, and their rates are usually the best also. I have them for both home and auto, and they have always been great to deal with when I have had claims, including 2 accidents that were not my fault. I have had auto through them for over 12 years now.

If you cant get USAA, then get Amica. I have heard great things about them also, but their rates were somewhat higher when I was getting quotes when I bought my house not too long ago.

Stay away from Progressive, they were horrible to deal with when I got hit by another driver who had them. They were trying to deny the claim and say it was my fault, even with both a police report and witnesses. Thankfully USAA took over because of how terrible Progressive was being (even with the police report saying their driver was at fault) and covered all of my cars damages, plus a rental and then went after Progressive and the other driver to recoup the costs. My rates did not go up at all.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:34 PM

112 posts, read 146,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeme View Post
If you are eligible, get USAA. They have the best customer service, and their rates are usually the best also. I have them for both home and auto, and they have always been great to deal with when I have had claims, including 2 accidents that were not my fault. I have had auto through them for over 12 years now.

If you cant get USAA, then get Amica. I have heard great things about them also, but their rates were somewhat higher when I was getting quotes when I bought my house not too long ago.

Stay away from Progressive, they were horrible to deal with when I got hit by another driver who had them. They were trying to deny the claim and say it was my fault, even with both a police report and witnesses. Thankfully USAA took over because of how terrible Progressive was being (even with the police report saying their driver was at fault) and covered all of my cars damages, plus a rental and then went after Progressive and the other driver to recoup the costs. My rates did not go up at all.
After reading this, I rushed out and got a USAA auto ins. quote. It wound up being 50% higher than I what I am paying Ameriprise (through Costco). Ameriprise $1313. USAA $2056

Compared USAA homeowner's rates to Ameriprise and it was more than twice as much: Ameriprise $1133. USAA $2478

Last edited by sugargenius; 08-31-2016 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: Added homeowner's quote

Old 08-31-2016, 11:35 PM

132 posts, read 90,899 times
Saw this thread and couldn't resist posting the article below as I read it earlier today.

Houston in top 3 list of cities with most auto insurance fraud

Old 09-01-2016, 11:05 AM

672 posts, read 838,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysoul View Post
Saw this thread and couldn't resist posting the article below as I read it earlier today.

Houston in top 3 list of cities with most auto insurance fraud
When I moved from Atascocita (Harris County), to New Caney (Montgomery County), my auto iinsurance premium dropped by almost $200. The Liberty Mutual Rep told me that it was because they have more "issues" in Harris County than they do in Montgomery County lol

Old 09-01-2016, 02:39 PM

32 posts, read 63,039 times
Thank you all. I'll have to at least do some enquiries. With All State, my house ins is 3000, one small claim last year for 2500. My car insurance is 5,000. Four vehicles, one driver at 17. vehicles are a 98,05,10 and 15 all family level vehicles, no Lexus Merc etc etc.. The 98 has basic cover only, the others have full cover. The 98 and 05 are on limited mileage as they don't go anywhere to speak of. One small claim about 4 years ago, door ding by one of my kids friends not being careful when he opened the door. It looks horrendous to me but maybe I will find out it's not too bad when I start shopping around.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:42 PM

32 posts, read 63,039 times
I'll circle back with Amica again for sure. I nearly went with them a few years ago, at the time I think they had the JD Power satisfaction. I was a bit wary as they don't have offices, it's all phone follow up.
USAA I believe are excellent but I think you need to have served in the forces?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston