Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:21 AM

833 posts, read 1,884,895 times

Advertisements

If you make less than 47k a year then you qualify for overtime even as a salaried employee I believe. If you make more than that then is just part of the job.

However I would always suggest to make sure to discuss expectations of overtime when accepting any job so you know what you are getting into. For example my current job I actually make more per hour because I only work 40 hours even though my last job I made a higher salary but worked 60+ hours a week.

For the OP I would have specifically asked for a definition in writing of what is excessive overtime as that is a relative term. Does that mean 10 hours extra or 30 hours extra.

But really what matters is are you getting paid decent(pay, benefits, environment) for what you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 12:42 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,240,209 times
Everyone from clerks to middle managers or subject matter experts get overtime to some degree at my company (1.5x or 1x OT). The only ones who don't are the ones in upper management.

The rest of us are still considered exempt and have a salary but that is based on a mandatory minimum of 40 hours/week. The extra hour here or there is expected as a middle manager, but can easily be avoided if you are an efficient subject matter expert. Sometimes we get on a mandatory 48-50 hour work week and with that comes an extra 20-25% in overtime money.

As a matter of fact I ruffled some feathers in here when the issue came up, insinuating I was some kind of peon because I get OT. That's fine with me- my bosses leave me alone because I already know what to do, I have helped get incompetent bosses fired, I get to go home the same time every day, make $175,000/yr and I'm not even 40. For that, I am glad to be called a peon.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:43 PM

111 posts, read 294,786 times
The overtime thing wasnt something I figured I would need to be thinking about, and I needed a job ASAP, so I grabbed what I could, to be completely honest. But I will keep it in mind in the future. As mentioned, it was less about the actual overtime, and more about it being unusual for me. I had hourly rate jobs prior to moving to Norway, and my salaried positions in Norway had overtime pay, so it threw me for a bit of a loop. I figured that it might be something of a norm, but as the industry isnt in a great spot right now, and I really need the job, I didnt want to rock the boat by asking anyone.

Unfortunately, the position is only paying 43k a year, but as I said, I needed something right away, and as a zero experience chemical engineer with a foreign degree and no certifications, it was rather difficult.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:35 PM

391 posts, read 424,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latsabb View Post
Unfortunately, the position is only paying 43k a year
Then beginning December 1 of this year you will no longer be classified as an exempt employee (ineligible for overtime) as I understand the new Federal rules (I'm not a lawyer). I imagine you'll be receiving a raise to at least the new Federal minimum of $47,476.

https://www.dol.gov/featured/overtime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston