Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 01:58 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
If you don't prop Houston and drink the Koop-aid, you must be miserable

If you live in Houston and think that Houston "sucks", then by extension, you are miserable..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 02:53 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
If you don't prop Houston and drink the Koop-aid, you must be miserable
Some people are miserable wherever they go and will find anything to moan about no matter what. They tend to be relatively vocal, and want to reaffirm its not them but the place.

BTW, it is them.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:51 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
I've lived in the Houston area all 31 years of my life, and I stay here for two reasons:

a.) family
b.) job

Otherwise, I would have left a long time ago.

BTW, for those who say that people who dislike Houston are miserable, I'm not. I just don't see what's attractive about the city besides the job market and cost of living. Okay, the museum district and zoo are nice, but that's about it. Otherwise, it's just a gigantic, sprawling concrete jungle with horrible traffic and quite often, a smog bubble surrounding the city. It is also a hot, humid, crime-ridden metropolis that is completely flat and devoid of natural beauty. Parts of the city (for example, the Third Ward) are riddled with gangs and inner-city violence problems.

Last edited by statisticsnerd; 09-07-2016 at 06:43 PM..

Old 09-07-2016, 10:56 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I've lived in the Houston area all 31 years of my life, and I stay here for two reasons:

a.) family
b.) job

BTW, for those who say that people who dislike Houston are miserable, I'm not. I just don't see what's attractive about the city besides the job market and cost of living. Okay, the museum district and zoo are nice, but that's about it. Otherwise, it's just a gigantic, sprawling concrete jungle with horrible traffic and quite often, a smog bubble surrounding the city. It is also a hot, humid, crime-ridden metropolis that is completely flat and devoid of natural beauty. Parts of the city (for example, the Third Ward) are riddled with gangs and inner-city violence problems.

CHICAGO — With a holiday weekend spate of violence that killed 13 people, the homicide toll in the nation’s third-largest city hit 500, a grim milestone that puts the city on track to reach a murder rate it hasn't seen since the drug wars of the1990s.

Chicago hits 500 homicides for 2016 after deadly Labor Day weekend

Things could be worse

I don't see how anybody can insist that they hate where they are in life but are somehow not miserable? Is it a matter of degree, is miserable just too extreme of a word ? Would just saying you are unhappy be a more palatable description ?

BTW where is your ideal Metropolis or location ?

Old 09-08-2016, 06:58 AM

In college, my roommate dated a girl from Denver. She constantly moaned about how Austin sucked and how great Denver was. I asked her what she didn't like, and she said it was boring and there was nothing to do. When I'd suggest Zilker Park, she'd say it was too hot. When I suggested Barton Springs, she'd say it was too crowded and she didn't want to pay. I'd suggest Lake Travis, and she'd say it was too far and no fun without a boat. Hike? Nope, hiking is only good with mountain views.

One extended weekend, her parents and brother came to visit. They came past our apartment to pick up my roommate for dinner. I mentioned to her brother how she didn't like Austin and missed Denver, and then he laughed and said all she seemed to do was complain about Denver.

Some people make a hobby out of misery.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:22 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
Again, why does not wanting to live somewhere anymore mean that you are miserable there? Sometimes it's just nice to change up the scenery.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:36 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

a.) family
b.) job

...I just don't see what's attractive about the city besides the job market and cost of living. Okay, the museum district and zoo are nice, but that's about it. Otherwise, it's just a gigantic, sprawling concrete jungle with horrible traffic and quite often, a smog bubble surrounding the city. It is also a hot, humid, crime-ridden metropolis that is completely flat and devoid of natural beauty...
Well, I lived in Houston even longer than that, and despite those two reasons mentioned above for staying, I threw it all away to relocate in a completely different area. Fast forward 4 years, and I can't wait to get back. Yeah, when you're in the midst of the big city, it can seem like crap, but it can also be an illusion that life is going to be automatically better elsewhere. I picked a place essentially opposite of Houston (dry climate, small town, easy mobility, four distinct seasons, etc.) and although it seemed good at first, the benefits and desirability didn't last long. The whole image of the very new and different place ended up being more illusion than anything beneficial and significant. I now see a lot in Houston that I can appreciate, while also not dwelling on issues that I made bigger than necessary. A different perspective changes everything!

Old 09-08-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Again, why does not wanting to live somewhere anymore mean that you are miserable there? Sometimes it's just nice to change up the scenery.
In many threads involving Houston, you tend to get people saying how horrible this city is. Although it hasn't happened in this thread, people still get a bit defensive due to the history of such posts.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:00 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
I'll add that viewpoints can change with the years. I grew up in the city and enjoyed it for many years. Later on, I got to the point that I hated Houston, and thought it was horrible. After moving away, I see the big picture clearly, and am back to liking it again. So you don't have to look farther than a single person to see varying views of positive or negative. It all depends on where we are. Sometimes we go through a season of unease and deep negative outlook.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 09-08-2016 at 12:11 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 01:01 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,202 times
I'm not a big fan of Houston--But, while living here, it has been the best time of my life. Dwell on that for a bit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston