Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 10:33 AM

450 posts, read 1,203,100 times

Advertisements

Well anyone want to dispute...good points
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
OTOH, Lee graduated from Yale with a BA in Political Science with honors and got her law degree from University of Virginia. She has a lot of character flaws, but she did not get accepted into these schools as a legacy like Bush did. Her high school (Jamaica High School in Queens) was highly rated. In 1985, it had the third lowest drop-out rate in the city and was named the best secondary school in America by the U.S. Department of Education. It counted a number prominent writers, lawyers and others among its graduates, including novelist Paul Bowles, President Richard Nixon's Attorney General John Mitchell, author Art Buchwald, poet Alan Dugan and director Francis Ford Coppola.

Bushes grades at Yale were mediocre and he received one D in an astronomy course. He did have an MBA from Harvard Business School. Of course, he was in the bottom 10% of his Harvard class. He was not academically smart, but he was popular and was a leader even at those schools. Bush, of course, attended the elite private academy - Phillips Exeter - where his academic record was pretty undistinguished. It was his *people skills* that propelled him to success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 10:54 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
OTOH, Lee graduated from Yale with a BA in Political Science with honors and got her law degree from University of Virginia. She has a lot of character flaws, but she did not get accepted into these schools as a legacy like Bush did. Her high school (Jamaica High School in Queens) was highly rated. In 1985, it had the third lowest drop-out rate in the city and was named the best secondary school in America by the U.S. Department of Education. It counted a number prominent writers, lawyers and others among its graduates, including novelist Paul Bowles, President Richard Nixon's Attorney General John Mitchell, author Art Buchwald, poet Alan Dugan and director Francis Ford Coppola.

Bushes grades at Yale were mediocre and he received one D in an astronomy course. He did have an MBA from Harvard Business School. Of course, he was in the bottom 10% of his Harvard class. He was not academically smart, but he was popular and was a leader even at those schools. Bush, of course, attended the elite private academy - Phillips Exeter - where his academic record was pretty undistinguished. It was his *people skills* that propelled him to success.
This was explained perfectly but of course people are still going to ignore what you've said and continue to assume she's dumb because they don't share her politics.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:22 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,558 times
yea well when she asked if the pathfinder mission took a picture of the flag neil armstrong planted on mars. that doesn't make you look very well educated. She has many other stupid comments like that over the years.

Just because your highly educated and you have a lot of book smarts doesn't make you well rounded. She probably has no common sense what so ever. Most PHD's lack any common sense what so ever and they have been through lots of schooling like her.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:07 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
I think that "mars" quip was just a simple mistake. A lot of times when people that speak often (and lord knows she does), they make mistakes especially if they're not reading from a teleprompter or a written speech.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:08 AM

100 posts, read 129,098 times
I agree that she is well educated and kudos to her for that. But it's also fair to acknowledge she has difficulty with either public speaking, the English language or both.

It is important to note that I could not find anything of substance that she's done in Washington, and the few things I could find illustrated that she is a terrible boss and congresswoman.

But please show me otherwise.

Oh PS. Ted Cruz is a bible thumping dolt.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:15 AM

46 posts, read 44,552 times
I have met Sheila Jackson Lee on a couple of occasions. I didn't know anything about her before and still don't know much. However, I must say that I was impressed with her interaction with the crowd on both events. It was very clear that she really cared. Both times, after she made her speech, she walked around the crowd, and talked to the people. She was very keen in discussing local issues. She was very humble and knowledgeable.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:47 AM

5,613 posts, read 4,937,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearningTheRopes View Post
I have met Sheila Jackson Lee on a couple of occasions. I didn't know anything about her before and still don't know much. However, I must say that I was impressed with her interaction with the crowd on both events. It was very clear that she really cared. Both times, after she made her speech, she walked around the crowd, and talked to the people. She was very keen in discussing local issues. She was very humble and knowledgeable.
I think this is at the heart of her re-electability. She is a good "retail" politician with her constituents. Also, she is perceived as "bringing home the bacon" which is still looked upon favorably within her district (they're not the anti-tax type, they generally want redistribution of wealth through taxation). Not saying those things are good or bad, just saying that's why she's successful in elections.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:50 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:

Assuming that any of what you've spewed is actually relevant, where are the examples of Sheila Jackson Lee not being a complete buffoon now? She's proven time and time again that she's one of the most ignorant members of our government. She's made a fool of herself countless times, she's made racially divisive statements which cause level headed people to cringe and she's embarrassed the people of our state over and over again.

I'm sure some people may care how well her NY area high school ranked 20 years after she graduated but most of us care a lot more about how she performs currently.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:57 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
This was explained perfectly but of course people are still going to ignore what you've said and continue to assume she's dumb because they don't share her politics.
Pardon me but I don't share her belief that there are "2 Vietnams", I don't share her belief that US Astronauts have planted a flag on Mars, I don't share her belief that the United States has operated under the Constitution since 1614, I don't share her belief that she is a freed slave... I don't share many of her ignorant and obnoxious beliefs.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:40 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I don't share her belief that she is a freed slave... I don't share many of her ignorant and obnoxious beliefs.
what you dont believe she is at least 151 years old? come on......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston