Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2016, 11:16 AM

3 posts, read 4,997 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move within the next year. I have a child in middle school so school district is important. We are currently in Katy (renting at the moment) but I am a little hesitant on buying in the area (again). I've owned houses in Katy before and they both took a while to sell with very little profit. I know there's a lot of competition in Katy especially with new construction/builders so I feel like houses in area do not appreciate well. So what's the smarter play... buying a house in Katy (zoned to Seven Lakes/Cinco Ranch) or rent a house in Memorial/Spring Branch/Spring Valley (zoned to Memorial)? Buying a home in the Memorial/Spring Branch/Spring Valley area is a little tougher since homes are a lot more expensive than the suburbs but maybe an option down the road. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 12:15 PM

833 posts, read 1,872,522 times
Stay renting until you are ready to settle down and know you will stay in the same house for the next 20 plus years. Too many people buy a home and expect it to appreciate enough for short term living. Another problem with so many homes are on the market. Buying a house is a long term investment.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,997 times
Very true jtothemak. I was in my first house for about 7 years and my second for 4 years (both in Katy and sold both for completely different reasons). Unloading a house in Katy is tough. I don't mind renting until the time is right but I'm in an apartment right now and want to be at least be renting a house with a yard. I can totally afford to buy another house in Katy but I don't want to be stuck with it for 20 plus years (don't want to be in the burbs forever). I will need to save up a little more to afford a house in the Memorial area hence why I would rent there first. So I guess the ultimate question would be should I rent in Katy or rent in in Spring Branch/Memorial? Some people feel like renting is like "throwing away money" so then I guess my question is... where's the better area to be throwing away my money?

Old 10-17-2016, 12:38 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,759,371 times
Rental prices are more driven by the quality of the house, than the location, compared with sale prices. If you don't mind an older/smaller house, you could probably get into the memorial high school catchment zone for a reasonable rental rate. I imagine that now is the time to look, too. School has already started, so families who are looking to rent in the area for the schools have already made their moves, and the prospective renter pool for the remaining homes is much smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston