Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Houston's downtown look more Sub-Tropical in foilage and palms it can support?
No, downtown Houston is fine a it is 5 12.50%
Yes, more tropical plants would be awesome in aesthetic appeal . 24 60.00%
No, but downtown should plant more greenery not nessesarily tropical plants, trees. 5 12.50%
Yes, tropica foilage and flowers but not really Plm trees. 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 03:47 PM

77 posts, read 76,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Those look like sabal minor, which is native to the region.
None of those are sabal minor. The middle view is sabal palmetto, while the first and last views are escaped Washingtonia (albeit not fully grown).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 03:52 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Acious View Post
None of those are sabal minor. The middle view is sabal palmetto, while the first and last views are escaped Washingtonia (albeit not fully grown).
Hmm, you're probably right. I'm no palm expert afterall.

But Washingtonias are ugly trees.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:53 PM

77 posts, read 76,483 times
Quote:
Hmm, you're probably right. I'm no palm expert afterall.

But Washingtonias are ugly trees.
I've never understood why they are used to much in Houston; sabals, biskarmias, queens, and livistonias all are more suitable the humid climates.

Washingtonias filifera can look quite unattractive with the "skirt" of dead fronds:

Washingtonia robusta is the more attractive of the two, as it grows much taller, and is more slender/graceful in appearance. They are the tall palms that grace the LA landscape:

Old 10-31-2016, 07:32 PM

214 posts, read 307,082 times
I think that the old large oaks are very 'Houston'--to me a street lined with old oaks is very Southern--think St Charles in New Orleans or parts of Inner Loop Houston. Add in some azaleas too. I think that too much 'tropical' foliage looks kitschy if it's not native to the area. Palms look great in Cozumel but don't fit in what I think Houston is. In fact, as Houston grows larger and becomes more and more of a world-class city, I think that it should play-up it's Texas-ness. When I think of Texas, I think of Hill Country. I personally would prefer if Houston looked more like Austin--lots of cedar and Texas Oaks. Of course, we're too wet and too flat and our soil is different...but...just sayin'

Old 10-31-2016, 11:48 PM

398 posts, read 394,703 times
I'd be happy with streets that resemble a third world country first.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:34 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo2000 View Post
I think that the old large oaks are very 'Houston'--to me a street lined with old oaks is very Southern--think St Charles in New Orleans or parts of Inner Loop Houston. Add in some azaleas too. I think that too much 'tropical' foliage looks kitschy if it's not native to the area. Palms look great in Cozumel but don't fit in what I think Houston is. In fact, as Houston grows larger and becomes more and more of a world-class city, I think that it should play-up it's Texas-ness. When I think of Texas, I think of Hill Country. I personally would prefer if Houston looked more like Austin--lots of cedar and Texas Oaks. Of course, we're too wet and too flat and our soil is different...but...just sayin'
There are palms that are as native to Houston as those cedars are. Houston is a coastal city that has never been like the rest of Texas, so why does it need to look like Austin?

Live oaks are standard in just about every Lower South city. What you don't see a lot of is magnolia species. To me, they are the ultimate Houston tree and would definitely make the city stand out.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:59 AM

403 posts, read 462,348 times
Build palm trees in the coastal areas and oak trees on the more inland areas.

Old 11-04-2016, 02:18 AM

108 posts, read 98,381 times
Quote:
There are palms that are as native to Houston as those cedars are. Houston is a coastal city that has never been like the rest of Texas, so why does it need to look like Austin?

Live oaks are standard in just about every Lower South city. What you don't see a lot of is magnolia species. To me, they are the ultimate Houston tree and would definitely make the city stand out.
On top of that, the cedar you will see in Houston is of a coastal variety found only elsewhere in the SE US (in red):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_virginiana

Old 11-04-2016, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Build palm trees in the coastal areas and oak trees on the more inland areas.
Many of Houston's oaks (especially the Southern Live Oaks) are, naturally, coastal trees. Palm trees can grow inland provided the climate is suitable.

Last edited by Samurai_Key; 11-04-2016 at 02:38 AM..

Old 11-04-2016, 03:37 AM

The answer, in the end, is a resounding yes. Who wouldn't want this in downtown Houston?
https://www.google.com/maps/@-27.597...7i13312!8i6656
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston