Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 02:29 PM

672 posts, read 846,715 times

Advertisements

This should help explain why we have the EC.
Attached Thumbnails
Houston joins Trump protests around the country-electoral-college-explanation.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 03:09 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,724,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
I don't understand how empty space should have a say in elections. If half of all people live in a small amount of space, should their votes count for less than a full vote? If so, why? The electoral college proposes dominion by virtue of living in open space. If you live in open space, your vote kind of counts more. That's garbage.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:35 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
Trump allowed the phrase "Trump that B*" to be a common part of his campaign... on bumper stickers, t-shirts, etc. He never spoke out. I can't get past that. He insulted everyone from women to disabled people to Mexicans to I don't even know... I lost track.

But he is now the leader of our country (or will be in a couple of months). All of you saying that everyone needs to just shut up and suck it up and act like grownups, please tell me, when is this leader going to act like a grown-up, and start being a leader? When is he going to say that it's not okay to call women b* or c*, and apologize to Mexican Americans, and disabled people, and everyone else he has denigrated? Until he does, he is #notmypresident. He hasn't earned it.

Old 11-11-2016, 04:01 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelsTX View Post
They're liberals. Facts are irrelevant.
You're apparently an ignorant conservative who has to drop to the level of insulting people since you have no point to make.

Old 11-11-2016, 04:07 PM

670 posts, read 1,441,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
You're apparently an ignorant conservative who has to drop to the level of insulting people since you have no point to make.
Just like Post 15?

Old 11-11-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Because when the Framers of the Constitution set up our government, they were trying to avoid creating too large and centralized a seat of power. What they wanted was a Republic with representative government, not a direct democracy or nationalized system.

States were much more important, and diverse in their establishment, cultures and beliefs than they are today. In order to protect individual states interests, and especially to preserve the interests of the smaller states and/or rural areas, the Electoral College was created and the number of electoral votes of each state based on population. It's the same reason all states, no matter how small, have the same number of Senators.

I can see how an argument can be made for tweaking the Electoral College so the votes are awarded based on proportion of the popular vote, but to scrap it altogether is not the best option, IMO. If only the popular vote is counted, then candidates would spend all their time campaigning to the needs of people in CA and NY and the nobody else would even matter.

Incidentally, I believe this is the 5th election where the winner of the popular vote had fewer electoral votes. Bush v Gore in 2000 was the most recent, and prior to that, all were in the 19th Century.

Edit: Posted as the same time as the video above
A well worded response, thank you. That said, there are many things from that era that simply did not stand the test of time. I too would be more in favor of tweaking the electoral college system since this may now be the 2nd time in my not-too-ancient adult life where the electoral college deviated from the wish of the people.

Old 11-11-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
Just like Post 15?
Post 15 was wrong too, but it doesn't excuse the post I was originally addressing, or are we now preschoolers who defer to the argument of "she started it!"?

Old 11-11-2016, 04:57 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
A well worded response, thank you. That said, there are many things from that era that simply did not stand the test of time. I too would be more in favor of tweaking the electoral college system since this may now be the 2nd time in my not-too-ancient adult life where the electoral college deviated from the wish of the people.
Thank you. My Undergrad degree is in Political Science.....and everyone said it would be worthless, LOL

Old 11-11-2016, 06:20 PM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
I've heard that so many times and it doesn't make sense.

Obama didn't do anything to warrant the following mistreatment:
So he decided to be divisive because he felt mistreated? Riiiight.

Quote:
Birther movement & having to produce his birth certificate
Yes, this was mistreatment.

Quote:
Being called a Liar on National tv during the State of the Union Address
But he did deserve it, because he did lie. Illegal aliens did get Obamacare for an extended period of time because there was no provision as passed to weed out people who are here illegally before signing up being granted the insurance. I provided proof of this with a link in one of my posts on another thread.

Quote:
Having a finger waved in his face as if he were a child by a Governor
She was completely justified. ....if the shoe fits...

Quote:
Being called a Kenyan repeatedly when he was born in Hawaii and raised by a white mom & grandparents
Yes, this was mistreatment because he was born in Hawaii and not raised in Kenya. The race of his mother and grandparents is irrelevant.

Quote:
Leader of Senate saying his #1 priority is to ensure Obama is a one term president...
Yes, this was mistreatment.

Quote:
Debt ceiling shenanigans
Nope. Obama could have compromised just as easily as the other side.

Quote:
Supreme court justice shenanigans
Nope. Show me where in the constitution there is a time limit on or a specific definition of advice and consent. You can't because neither exists.

Quote:
All of you conservatives claiming to ride your high horse and be the adults in the room just need to look back at the actions of your leaders and recognize you're not better than those liberals who are having a hard time accepting the results of the election. Heck, liberals had to listen to your bellyaching for 8 years.... and now you are here gloating? Real mature.
This isn't second grade. Everything isn't US vs. THEM. Everyone critical of Obama or Hillary or both isn't a Trump supporter, a conservative, a Republican, or someone who has 'leaders' who have virtually any positions of power.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:49 PM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
Interesting. Our county is kind of an anamoly though (I live in The Woodlands), as we are one of the 'highly populated counties' colored in on the map yet also one of the most conservative counties in Texas, and also the country. At last look, 74% of the vote in our county went to Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston