Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 09:50 PM

84 posts, read 761,298 times

Advertisements

Although possible with extreme protection, I think a hard freeze of 28 or below will take out avocadoes. I have heard of them being grown, but it is only something that a determined person would probably attempt. I myself and attempting to grow mangoes and guava. I now have a mango tree that is about 6ft tall. This tree cannot survive under 28-29 degrees, so I am always ready to protect it if the need arises. I tried growing an avacado from seed and have twice failed. A larger tree, however probably could make it with care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 10:11 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmglab View Post
Although possible with extreme protection, I think a hard freeze of 28 or below will take out avocadoes. I have heard of them being grown, but it is only something that a determined person would probably attempt. I myself and attempting to grow mangoes and guava. I now have a mango tree that is about 6ft tall. This tree cannot survive under 28-29 degrees, so I am always ready to protect it if the need arises. I tried growing an avacado from seed and have twice failed. A larger tree, however probably could make it with care.
Actually there are two main varieties; West Indian and Mexican. A mature Mexican variety will handle 18 F while a West Indian (Carribbean) will only handle 25 F at the lowest. (according to my SL Gardening book)

Mexican I think is smaller and oilier than the West Indian kind.

My dad's uncle had an avacado tree in San Diego. My dad visiting him gave him his first chance to see and taste avacado. I've been eating it since before I can remember.

I suppose with either kind I would probably want some kind of protection for the tree north of Corpus Christi if I tried to grow one.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:15 PM

The most common avocado grown in Mexico / Southern California is the Hess. Are you sure these can really survive 18 degrees?

Old 12-21-2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
The most common avocado grown in Mexico / Southern California is the Hess. Are you sure these can really survive 18 degrees?
Probably the strongest and healthiest specimens have reported handling it. That's what I think they meant.

I also know that the lower Rio Grande they commercially grow them, so that must mean they have some kind of dependability there... (probably the Mexican varieties)

Old 12-29-2006, 07:54 AM

Default Guava trees in Houston ?

I have been able to successfully grow mango in Houston, however I have not yet tried to grow guava. I know here are two versions of guava, one pink the other yellow. I prefer the pink guava that is used to make juice. I have been buying Ceres guava juice (south African brand) since it is hermetically sealed and is only juice with no added sugars, etc.(tastes like the stuff you get in Hawaii). The juice however is expensive so I have began looking into growing a pink guava tree. Does anyone know if guava can be grown in Houston (zone 9a). I suspect it may not be hardy to 9a though.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I have been able to successfully grow mango in Houston, however I have not yet tried to grow guava. I know here are two versions of guava, one pink the other yellow. I prefer the pink guava that is used to make juice. I have been buying Ceres guava juice (south African brand) since it is hermetically sealed and is only juice with no added sugars, etc.(tastes like the stuff you get in Hawaii). The juice however is expensive so I have began looking into growing a pink guava tree. Does anyone know if guava can be grown in Houston (zone 9a). I suspect it may not be hardy to 9a though.
Probably not...

Then again, mango's aren't supposed to be able to grow there either.

I have a Southern Living Gardening book and it says they're both hardy in their "Tropical South" zone which is mostly 10a and up, but it also includes 9b.

Mango's are described as a fruiting shade tree for south Florida and south Florida typically has no records below 25 F.

I just checked Brownsville TX's records (should be the mildest climate in TX) and it shows records into the teens for December, January and February, but most of those records below 20 F were in before the 20th century.

However I saw one day in Brownsville it was 16 F in Decemeber of 1989.

Good Luck!

Old 04-25-2007, 09:04 AM

This year I was lazy and did not take in my Plumerias, they are now doing fine. However, my mango tree planted last spring has not made it. The one night we had toward the end of winter at 29 degrees finished the plant off. I do not sugget planting mangoes in zone 9 without significant protection

Old 04-25-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
This year I was lazy and did not take in my Plumerias, they are now doing fine. However, my mango tree planted last spring has not made it. The one night we had toward the end of winter at 29 degrees finished the plant off. I do not sugget planting mangoes in zone 9 without significant protection
Too bad your mango tree was zapped.

I'm not surprised though as Southern Living in their gardening book describes mangos for the warmer parts of the "Tropical South" which is pretty much just southern Florida, maybe zone 10b or higher. (for no protection)

How big did your mango tree get? What did it look like? I've never seen a mango tree.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:35 PM

Unfortuntly the Mango was very small about 3ft. tall. Had I protected it would have probably made it. It survived the first two freezes/ freezing rain, but I forgot to cover it that got down to 29 later in the season. Mango trees can get very large and have long slender green leaves.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:07 AM

Default Remeber to cut back dead tropical shrubs early spring

This year I was too busy and did not have time to cut back my Ixora, Hibiscus or varigated gingers. All the plants have been coming back nicely, albiet slowly. However, they have still not bloomed (even after fertilizer). In years past when I cut back these plants, i actually had more vigorous growth and excellent blooms by May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston