Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 03:43 PM

814 posts, read 760,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
You know one thing no one mentions and this might be off topic but doesn't Houston have great Greek food? I mean we have to have some of the best outside of NY and Chicago.
My favorite gyro is actually at a gas station called EKKO on Richmond and sage. I like their gyros better Nikko Nikko. I've seen several upscale Greek restaurants, but never eaten at any. There used to one in Sugar Land called the great Greek grill, but shutdown over a year ago.

I think CiCi's is run by some potheads. "Dude, you know what would kickass on pizza? Macaroni and cheese!!!!"

Brothers is pretty good. I understand they're the real new York style pizza. I guess good pizza is subjective. Call me crazy, but I think a lot of the imitations taste better than the real stuff. Like pepperoni's, it says new York style on the box, but I don't think it is. That being said, I'll take pepperoni's over Brothers.

Edit: oh yeah and I've seen another one in midtown. It looks Niko Niko, but spelled Nico. It's the same thing with bench table's outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 03:46 PM

I don't like Barry's, fuzzy's, or Russo's.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:09 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycich View Post
My favorite gyro is actually at a gas station called EKKO on Richmond and sage. I like their gyros better Nikko Nikko. I've seen several upscale Greek restaurants, but never eaten at any. There used to one in Sugar Land called the great Greek grill, but shutdown over a year ago.

I think CiCi's is run by some potheads. "Dude, you know what would kickass on pizza? Macaroni and cheese!!!!"

Brothers is pretty good. I understand they're the real new York style pizza. I guess good pizza is subjective. Call me crazy, but I think a lot of the imitations taste better than the real stuff. Like pepperoni's, it says new York style on the box, but I don't think it is. That being said, I'll take pepperoni's over Brothers.

Edit: oh yeah and I've seen another one in midtown. It looks Niko Niko, but spelled Nico. It's the same thing with bench table's outside.
I am gonna try that place because if you say it's better than Niko Nikos I HAVE to try it. I go to Nikos every year I visit Houston.

I also miss the Turkish and Arab Mediterranean food in Houston. I used to go to this little hole in the wall place called Shish Kabob Café on Westheimer heading to the Galleria. Oh man is it authentic Egyptian style Arabic food.

Pepperonis doesn't look like NYC style pizza at all, they really advertise that? It's good but I thought Brothers was just the most amazing I've had. I will try more to not remain stagnant on my choices.

Now I don't know if you guys have ever tried the Pizza at Colina's Italian Café, but it is amazing. Please tell me it's still there!

Old 11-30-2016, 05:07 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Greek pizza at midnite slice in Seabrook is great.

People joke about cicis and little Cesar's but you know they stay in business so lots of people must go there and like it even if it's for family affordability. I can't insult it if it is someone's favorite. We all have our different tastes.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:20 PM

189 posts, read 224,431 times
Best to me, Grimaldi's hands down. Second best, BJ's Brewhouse pizza. Frank's third.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:30 PM

702 posts, read 1,236,429 times
I like Jet's deep dish. They only have a few locations around Houston.

Makes me want to buy their pizza tmr.....

and I can't eat a few slices, I'll end up eating the whole pie.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:21 PM

153 posts, read 144,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
and I can't eat a few slices, I'll end up eating the whole pie.

*pizza

Old 11-30-2016, 09:12 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Is Colina's Italian Café still around? I used to get their delicious gourmet pizzas all the time. Great for a date night.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I am gonna try that place because if you say it's better than Niko Nikos I HAVE to try it. I go to Nikos every year I visit Houston.

I also miss the Turkish and Arab Mediterranean food in Houston. I used to go to this little hole in the wall place called Shish Kabob Café on Westheimer heading to the Galleria. Oh man is it authentic Egyptian style Arabic food.

Pepperonis doesn't look like NYC style pizza at all, they really advertise that? It's good but I thought Brothers was just the most amazing I've had. I will try more to not remain stagnant on my choices.

Now I don't know if you guys have ever tried the Pizza at Colina's Italian Café, but it is amazing. Please tell me it's still there!
I think I know what place you're talking about. Let's say you're coming from the beltway headed towards the galleria, was it a little past hillcroft on the right side next a bagel shop?

If that's it, I ate there once a long time ago, we're talking maybe 10 years. I don't even remember what I had. I don't know if they're still open.

My favorite chicken shawarma is at Phoenicia. I don't know when you left Houston, but phoenicia has taken off, there downtown location has a bar you can sit at with craft beer on draft, fancy cappuccino. There's always pretty girls there. We get new Yorkers who think they have the best shawarma till they try phoenicia's chicken. Man, that's the stuff.

I looked up colina's, it says they have 3 locations open.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 963 times
Some good ones specializing in certain styles:

Chicago-style:
  • Gelazzi - offering Connie's Pizza
  • Gino's East (Woodlands)
  • Windy City Pizza (Atascocita)
  • D'marcos Pizzeria
  • J Christopher's (Kingland), Christopher's (Atascocita) (thin crust)
  • Kenneally's Irish Pub (thin crust)

New York-style:
  • Grimaldi's
  • Brother's Pizza
  • Russo's New York Pizzeria (some coal-fired)
  • Frank's Pizza

Neopolitan-style:
  • Dolce Vita Pizzeria Enoteca
  • Pizaro's Pizza Napoletana (VPN Americas member)
  • Cane Rosso (VPN Americas member)
  • Bollo Woodfired Pizza
  • Pizzeria Solario
  • Coppa
  • Piola

Sicilian-style:
  • Barry's Pizza
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston