Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 03:09 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

https://www.nextnature.net/2009/10/h...ve-got-a-dome/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 07:30 PM

702 posts, read 1,236,654 times
Will the dome protect us from the crazy ants, hurricanes and floods? What happens if we need to evacuate?>

Old 12-05-2016, 08:30 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
No Zoning is reason why People in Houston run to MPC and areas that have some sort of deed restrictions in place. Is a horrible idea in this day & age that only benefits developers.

No way you can make this city beautiful lol, unless you convince yourself otherwise.
Zoning generally dictates use, height, density. We don't need that.

If you're looking for design standards, etc., you can implement those without zoning.

But, some folks think they have to tell Walmart where they can build (on here it always seems to be as far as possibly from my house). I don't see how that will make Houston better. Go to some lesser place like Collin County, or China, if you feel the need for that.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:39 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
For a fraction of the cost of a single rail line, we could add more-frequent local bus service and offer park and ride service to and from more business districts.
You are ignoring the cost of adding lanes to highways (I.e. Katy Freeway)
And cost of highway maintenance

Old 12-05-2016, 08:57 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,583 times
It's been a while since I've seen the domed-Houston image Dopo kindly posted. Upon seeing it this time, it reminded me of cover art for the Cities in Flight books by sci-fi author James Blish, in which some major American cities launched themselves into space.

However, the idea presented by the image does bug me a bit. Namely, how many of Houston's 6.5 million metro residents would comfortably fit in that little dome?

What with many of the major oil companies fleeing downtown, would we just launch a bubble filled with lawyers and people being processed by the criminal justice system? ;-)

Old 12-06-2016, 10:06 PM

814 posts, read 760,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I think most cities have blights. All of LA doesn't look like Santa Monica or Venice. A huge chunk of it, especially the more eastward you go, looks like a concrete jungle. Some areas look like a post Apocalyptic 80s dystopian movie ala John Carpenters 'They Live'.
I haven't been east, but I remember driving through Compton and long Beach and being astonished by how nice they looked. They look like our regular neighborhoods.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:02 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycich View Post
i haven't been east, but i remember driving through compton and long beach and being astonished by how nice they looked. They look like our regular neighborhoods.
bingo!

Old 12-07-2016, 01:02 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
I haven't been east, but I remember driving through Compton and long Beach and being astonished by how nice they looked. They look like our regular neighborhoods.
Long Beach I never thought of as ghetto. Compton doesn't look like a regular neighborhood in Houston if by regular you mean the burbs in Katy. It looks like any other working class area in the city of Houston. It's not "nice" even by an Angeleno's standard. It's decent and only nice if you were picturing a really bad ghetto from the 90s gang banger movies. Watts is proly what you're picturing. That reminds me of the Wards.
It also wasn't what I was referring to. I was talking of the tent cities in downtown, the Blade Runner level bazaars that happen near MacArthur Park and Alvarado St. Hollywood itself isn't glamorous. C'mon people zoning does not contribute to greatness and LA is a bad example.

Jeez, Compton as nice as regular burbs in Houston. You guys are too much.

Last edited by radiolibre99; 12-07-2016 at 01:17 AM..

Old 12-07-2016, 01:14 AM

814 posts, read 760,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Long Beach I never thought of as ghetto. Compton doesn't look like a regular neighborhood in Houston if by regular you mean the burbs in Katy. It looks like any other working class area in the city of Houston. It's not "nice" even by an Angeleno's standard. It's decent and only nice if you were picturing a really bad ghetto from the 90s gang banger movies.
It also wasn't what I was referring to. I was talking of the tent cities in downtown, the Blade Runner level bazaars that happen near MacArthur Park and Alvarado St. Hollywood itself isn't glamorous. C'mon people zoning does not contribute to greatness and LA is a bad example.

Jeez, Compton as nice as regular burbs in Houston. You guys are too much.
I didn't all that, I was just saying.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:20 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
I didn't all that, I was just saying.
Watts is proly what most people picture when they think of ghetto in LA. It reminds me a lot of the Wards.

Compton to me is a working class neighborhood. But then again most areas in LA look good because of the palm trees and the sunny blue skies. When it rains or is overcast, it doesn't look that great.

USC619, the area around USC reminds of UH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston