Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2008, 10:06 PM

22 posts, read 63,792 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to the area in about a year. I've seen some people talking about the low cost of housing being deceiving as the property tax rate can make up the difference in the house payment. Are there certain areas that have an exceptionally bad tax rates that I should avoid? Are there some with exceptionally low tax rates? I've found houses in Tomball, Pearland, and Sugar Land that I really like. I've also found a lot of beautiful houses in Montgomery and Conroe but I'm afraid of the drive so I doubt I'll end up there. What are taxes like in these areas? Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 10:31 PM

637 posts, read 3,226,522 times
The tax rate is all over the board around here, it really depends on the individual neighborhood but you can expect the best case scenario to be 2% and the top end to be around the 4% mark. You are right about Montgomery as we have some subdivisions with tax rates right at 2% but you would not want to live here if you had to make the trip to Houston everyday because you would spend about 2 1/2 hours on the freeway everyday... When it comes time to start looking tell your realtor what you want and let them know you don't want to live in an area where the tax rate is higher than what your willing to pay

Old 03-01-2008, 10:51 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,837,838 times
If you really want to know, Do what I did...

Go to HAR.com

Find a house you think you might like or be interested in.

Then, take the address and input it into this site...

HCAD Record Search (broken link) ( Harris County )

Records ( Montgomery County )

Waller County ( Waller County )

http://www.fbcad.org/Appraisal/PublicAccess/ ( Fort Bend County )

Brazoria County Appraisal District ( Brazoria County )

http://www.galvestoncad.org/Appraisal/PublicAccess/ ( Galveston County )

Try those

Old 03-02-2008, 12:34 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,317,461 times
Remember the search feature is your friend...

Old 03-02-2008, 08:32 AM

Default Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
If you really want to know, Do what I did...

Go to HAR.com

Find a house you think you might like or be interested in.

Then, take the address and input it into this site...

HCAD Record Search ( Harris County )

Records ( Montgomery County )

Waller County ( Waller County )

http://www.fbcad.org/Appraisal/PublicAccess/ ( Fort Bend County )

Brazoria County Appraisal District ( Brazoria County )

http://www.galvestoncad.org/Appraisal/PublicAccess/ ( Galveston County )

Try those

Thanks FutureTexan! This is exactly what I needed. Good luck in your move. (BTW - I grew up in Memphis).

Old 03-02-2008, 09:02 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,370,070 times
If you want lower taxes,little commuting, and are unsure about areas within ACTUAL Houston, just ask here. Everyone has an opinion.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
If you want lower taxes,little commuting, and are unsure about areas within ACTUAL Houston, just ask here. Everyone has an opinion.
Actually that is what I want. I can tell that there are some "Inner Loopers" that despise people like me but I do prefer suburbs. That's how I grew up and that's how I want my children to grow up. Oh yeah - I like lower taxes and I don't mind a commute as long as it is less than an hour or so.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:20 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,370,070 times
There are urban-suburban burbs around Houston that are about 10 miles away from "the loop." Surburb lifestyle with city flare,tax structure,exceptionals schools and culture.

Just saying, you don't have to drive an hour. But it does depend on your price range as well.

I don't depise anyone. I just think its tough to drive 2 hours a day and live so far from city life. I did it, now I don't.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:37 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,564,242 times
Yesman, remember that tax rates are a little lower in the actual city but property values are higher. An example I gave before went something like:

2.5% of 300,000 is still more than 3.25% of 200,000.

Anyway a lot of people got a fairly large tax cut for 2007. My area (Clear Lake) is one area that blend suburban w/ urban ''flair'' (on a smaller level), is in the city of Houston with a tax rate of 2.9%. Then again, property values are higher here than the true burbs around us. I could trade my 1 story 2200 sq ft house here for a 2 story 3200 sq ft house in League City. It's all relative, and looking at tax rates alone can be deceiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston