Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 11:37 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,665,848 times

Advertisements

An extra 20 minute commute equates to 170 extra hours a year sitting in traffic or 22 8 hour work days of traffic. No lot would make me put myself through that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 02:08 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,097,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
An extra 20 minute commute equates to 170 extra hours a year sitting in traffic or 22 8 hour work days of traffic. No lot would make me put myself through that.
I hear ya!

When we lived in Atascocita, his commute was 45-50 minutes on a typical day of he left before 6:30a. Sometimes over an hour of he left later. He really can't take park and ride when working downtown because there are days when he has to drive out to the east side to the refineries for meetings and whatnot. He doesn't always know ahead of time for those.

His commute now is about 25 minutes, all highway driving. I'm not sure he would go for longer than 30 minutes for a commute anymore if he could help it.

There will definitely have to be compromise, and I will probably have to give up the space I'm wanting. But that's okay - it'll just give me or leverage to get a cabin in the woods somewhere!!

Old 01-17-2017, 05:48 AM

97 posts, read 153,174 times
Of course your budget is a major factor here but you may not have to have a crazy commute time. There's land that can be purchased and then you can build on it. I just helped some clients purchase a little over 2 acres in Pearland and they are getting ready to build on it. They got a sweet deal and it wasn't on MLS.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:49 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,097,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentrywoods View Post
Of course your budget is a major factor here but you may not have to have a crazy commute time. There's land that can be purchased and then you can build on it. I just helped some clients purchase a little over 2 acres in Pearland and they are getting ready to build on it. They got a sweet deal and it wasn't on MLS.
Not sure what the budget will be when it's time to move. If we finance, I would like to stay less the $600k.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:15 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,439,628 times
Quote:
I didn't do much in the loop either when I lived in Kingwood but now I do all the time since its convenient. Another thing to consider is appreciation. Just in the 3 years I've lived in Oak Forest property prices are up around 25%. You aren't going to see that in any far flung suburb community. Anything you buy in Garden Oaks will likely be worth quite a lot more when you sell it.
That also means your property taxes will rise.

If you're in a home for the long haul, appreciation above inflation isn't necessarily your friend.

Quote:
Once again, it goes back to lifestyle.

If you are into activities that you no longer need to drive to get to, you make that commute up.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:39 AM

97 posts, read 153,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Not sure what the budget will be when it's time to move. If we finance, I would like to stay less the $600k.
Prices are moving in an upward directions so I can only say for certain that as of right now, $600K will probably get you what you want.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:59 PM

41 posts, read 100,439 times
Quote:
I get to read a lot of audiobooks during that extra commute time, so I don't consider it time wasted.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:19 PM

7,532 posts, read 11,507,153 times
There is a 13k sqft cleared lot for sale on Braseheather ct in Meyerland ready to build a 6 to 7 ft home raised off the ground $350k.

28k sqft lot east end close to Harrisburg and 69th for $340k

Old 01-17-2017, 04:13 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,241,671 times
Quote:
Everything is a trade off....I save at least 20 minutes a day not cleaning up the house, or having to break up my kids fighting over petty stuff inside because I have a 1 acre lot large enough for the kids to spread out and actually play like kids are supposed to play and not just with ipads.

I absolutely loathe rainy days because my kids are normally outside more than 80% of the time they are awake....

I lived in the heights on a 6600 sqft postage stamp before moving to the memorial area for an acre....The quality of life improvement is immeasurable for me, even when you consider the additional 15-20 minutes it adds to my daily commute...

Lot size was the highest priority when we began looking...that and schools. 15-20 minutes of additional driving every day also equated to saving over $1,000,000 in not paying for private school for 3 kids...I can buy a lot of happiness with $1,000,000 in the bank.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:14 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,439,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Everything is a trade off....I save at least 20 minutes a day not cleaning up the house, or having to break up my kids fighting over petty stuff inside because I have a 1 acre lot large enough for the kids to spread out and actually play like kids are supposed to play and not just with ipads.

I absolutely loathe rainy days because my kids are normally outside more than 80% of the time they are awake....

I lived in the heights on a 6600 sqft postage stamp before moving to the memorial area for an acre....The quality of life improvement is immeasurable for me, even when you consider the additional 15-20 minutes it adds to my daily commute...

Lot size was the highest priority when we began looking...that and schools. 15-20 minutes of additional driving every day also equated to saving over $1,000,000 in not paying for private school for 3 kids...I can buy a lot of happiness with $1,000,000 in the bank.
I think you can buy me some as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston