Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 11:23 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

Venezuelans in Houston - Is the community growing?

I lived in Missouri for many years and I knew almost every venezuelan that lived there (a hand full)
Came to Houston 5 years ago and was amazed at the number of venezuelans here.

Is it me, or the venezuelan population is growing at a rapid pace?
Seems like I run into one almost everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 11:36 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
It is the 2nd largest Venezuelan population in the US after Miami though its very far behind Miami.

You can find out exactly how many in the INS report.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:18 PM

So looking at INS data, Miami had the most Venezuelan immigrants in 2015 at 3,828. Houston had the 2nd most at 687. NYC third at 524.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:24 PM

581 posts, read 615,210 times
They don't call Katy, Katyzuela for no reason. A high percentage of the PDVSA exiles that came to work in Houston all reside in Katy.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
They don't call Katy, Katyzuela for no reason. A high percentage of the PDVSA exiles that came to work in Houston all reside in Katy.
True. Oil was, at the beginning, the only reason Venezuelans moved here. Now you have that, plus people moving to be with friends and relatives.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:11 PM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
So looking at INS data, Miami had the most Venezuelan immigrants in 2015 at 3,828. Houston had the 2nd most at 687. NYC third at 524.
I don't beblieve the numbers for either of the 3 cities. I know the. Venezuelan community very well and there is no way in h**** the immigrants for each city are that low this year. The INS needs to do a better job

Old 12-19-2016, 08:14 PM

Dopo, you're supposively a native Venezuelan and you shouldn't have to ask these questions. Houston's Venezuelan scene at one point was just a few restaurants, the newspaper, a bakery, a small festival and the consulate general.

Now there are literally Venezuelan specific Karaoke bars, church groups, etc etc etc and an extremely profitable Venezuelan festival that brings big name artists to it.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I would also like to point out that Miami is the easiest entrance for Venezuelans, but a huge amount of Venezuelans in Miami go to Houston (and rarely the other way around).

But even that being said, again there is no way in hell those numbers are that low and the INS is spitting out very innacurate numbers. Not here to spill beans but it is the truth.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I would also like to point out that Miami is the easiest entrance for Venezuelans, but a huge amount of Venezuelans in Miami go to Houston (and rarely the other way around).

But even that being said, again there is no way in hell those numbers are that low and the INS is spitting out very innacurate numbers. Not here to spill beans but it is the truth.
If you dont have numbers to back it up or at least some sort of evidence that is not anecdotal, you might as well be making it up. There is no way on earth people will believe a random guy on the internet over official government data. The latest census data has there being around 20k Venezuelans in the Houston area. While that is the 2nd largest in the nation, its far behind the 150k it says there are in Miami.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
If you dont have numbers to back it up or at least some sort of evidence that is not anecdotal, you might as well be making it up. There is no way on earth people will believe a random guy on the internet over official government data. The latest census data has there being around 20k Venezuelans in the Houston area. While that is the 2nd largest in the nation, its far behind the 150k it says there are in Miami.
That's the problem there. You believe government data is accurate to the last digit. And it is not. First of all, if Houston's Venezuelan population grows so slow, then How come Venezuelan businesses in Houston nearly doubled in 2015 and again grew at the pace in 2016. That's not from 687 Venezuelans that moved here. The same can be said to Miami. I'm sure you zero to no knowledge about the Venezuelan community in America, as if you did, you can see how wrong these numbers are.

Second of all, even if those numbers were accurate, they aren't counting the ones moving from Florida to Houston. Miami is the easiest gateway into the USA and MANY MANY Venezuelans go through Miami with the intentions of continuing to Houston. A Texas-Florida Venezuelan migration is rare.

Now, like I say, if you believe every single thing the government tells you, that's your own problem, as this case is straight false facts, and anyone with medium to high knowledge of the Venezuelan community knows that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston