Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 03:15 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,740,374 times

Advertisements

"Austin is younger and hipper"

The median ages in both cities are practically the same, and hipness is relative. For my money, it's Houston all the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 08:38 AM

177 posts, read 200,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
For heaven's sake, don't try to program your 18 month old dd into law school. You can't know what she likes yet much less whether or not she will be law school material. Please let her be a child.

Never mind the fact that even if you successfully coerce her into law, the city she is raised in has a high likelihood of having absolutely nothing to do with where she goes to law school.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:00 AM

60 posts, read 55,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadpro View Post
Hi everybody. We plan to move to Texas from Europe and I need some advice on which city we should choose and what kind of house should we buy.

We have a daughter (1.5 yo), I am lawyer but before practising here I need to get a masters degree (LLM) from a law school (and I would want my daughter study law too actually.) my plan is doing business here until I finish law school. And of course like everybody we want live and rise our child in safe place where the schools are really good.

When I make a comparison, both cities have top and bottom lines.

Houston is bigger, more crowded and has a bigger economy and business opportunities. Besides it has a bigger international airport with direct flights to Europe. But Houston has a worse traffic than Austin and also has higher crime rates.

Austin is smaller but nicer and safer city I think. And Austin has a better law school (UT) for both me and my daughter.

My questions :

1- I'd like get your opinions about these two cities first. Which one is better and more suitable for me? They say The Woodlands and Katy are the best places to live and grow child in Houston. Is that correct? And what about Austin? Where are the best places in Austin? Do you recommend ranch communities outside of the city like Santa Rita or Sienna Ranch?

2- As I said my daughter is only 1.5, so for me how important is living in place where high rank schools are located?

3- Where in Houston or Austin should I buy a single family home?

4- Of course I will buy a house for living but I also want to make a good housing investment and I want to buy a house that I can easily sell whenever I want. So what type of house should I buy? One or two stories, 3,4 or 5 bedrooms?

Many thanks...
I lived in both in Austin for 10 years. and in Houston for almost 4. My husband has lived in Houston for 15 years. I liked both. I feel Houston maybe bigger and open to more things to do. more cities around it. However Austin is very fun as well. I think it all depends on where you go to school and your personal needs. They both have similar type of communities, safety and criminal statistics would be unique for each.

I'm originally from Peru and one of the perks of living in Houston is that I can take a direct flight non stop to my country which is nice. Also I felt I could find a lot of doctors in Houston in case I needed first second or third opinion for anything, specially having a little one. Find out about your personal needs which one offers your the most for what you need I would start with your school and then find schools around your daughter's day care or school and compare which city offers you better alternatives then find out what you can get in regards of housing around those two main things in your life and compare pricing and decide which neighborhood and amenities you like the best. That is my best advise. Hope it helps.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:13 AM

691 posts, read 823,363 times
If you are thinking about a place with a large European Ex-pat Community, you may lean more toward Houston.

Because of the oil industry, there are a great many Europeans of all stripes here. Including enough children that there are British, Dutch, French and German Schools. There are festivals celebrating different cultures nearly every month.

I agree that Austin is a prettier city, with a better climate, but Houston has a significantly better business climate, and has enough options, that you can generally avoid traffic if you want to.

You should also look at Sugar Land. A very international community just south west of Houston. A lot depends on where you will go to school and work. You really need to be strategic in making the work/live commute easier.

Sugar land is a great place to live. We can be on an uncrowded beach in about an hour., drive our car right to the water line and have an easy family picnic. There are lots of local events including music and movies in the town square most Friday and Saturdays in the nicer weather. Sugar Land is now building a "dragon boat racing lake" in a riverfront park.

http://www.sugarlandtx.gov/DocumentCenter/View/4021

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/g...nd-6123410.php

https://www.google.com/destination/map/topsights?q=things+to+do+Sugar+Land&site=search&ou tput=search&dest_mid=/m/0101fv&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjkj_7ex9jRAhWjw1QKHWhTAlIQ6 tEBCCEoBTAA

Last edited by SugLandDAd; 01-23-2017 at 09:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston