Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:22 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times

Advertisements

Are you talking about the city of South Houston (a separate municipality from Houston)?

Baytown and Dickinson are both blue-collar type towns for the most part. Dickinson's sort of suburbanizing though as League City has grown. A lot of refinery workers live around there, and the house prices are in line with what those people can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 10:37 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,829,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Are you talking about the city of South Houston (a separate municipality from Houston)?
Thanks for answering me. I have no idea! I looked at listings in Houston and put in my price range and that's what came up. I guess I need to do a little more research.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:40 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,568,556 times
If it says "South Houston" it is likely its own city. It's close to 610/Old Galveston (Hwy 3). At businesses there are more Mexican flags displayed in that area than American. It's basically an extension of the industrial part of Pasadena. Flood city. Learn Spanish if you move there, too.

Dickinson is starting to resemble more of a suburb as League City grows south but there is still a large, empty space between the two. Dickinson is still very country, but I-45 resembles a couple miles of I-45 in Houston - unzoned gas stations, fast food, strip malls, and one large, centrally-located strip club. Also, a few years ago word was if you were in Galveston county and needed some dope, go get it in Dickinson. Not sure if it's changed as I'm thankfully away from that crowd now.

Baytown, hmm -- very stinky around the San Jacinto river. Refinery city. Much of the town is aesthetically unpleasant. IIRC, someone in this board has been trying to sell her $275k Baytown home, and it sounds like a very nice home... but that's going to be a hard sell in Baytown.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,268 times
Hello My wife and i are also looking to move to the houston area right after christmas from Illinois We are looking at houses from 100 to 125 range any good areas in that price range We have no kids thanks

Old 07-02-2008, 07:38 PM

6 posts, read 33,253 times
Ok we were a young couple w/ no kids a year ago, and I've lived all over Houston and surrounding areas. Trust me, move to the Woodlands. It's fun, classy, great shopping, no trash, fantastic schools for future reference, and I could go on and on. We'll be moving there as soon as we sell our house in Champions. Now if it's out of your price range, then I recommend Champions, Spring (close to I45), and Copperfield. They're all affordable, and 15 minutes from the Woodlands. Example: our house is 2500 sq ft, w/ pool and jacuzzi (you'll need it w/ our 105 degree heat), and updated with granite etc, and we're selling it for 150, and there's even cheaper here. So drive around some neighborhoods and get the feel for them before you settle into buying anything. It's a huge investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston