Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 07:28 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,109,106 times

Advertisements

Are there any Waldorf-style schools in the Houston area for older grades (middle school and up)? The 2 I see in Houston and Tomball are for 2nd grade and younger it seems.

Just looking for alternative schools for my child who will be in middle school who has some learning disabilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 03:57 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,796,869 times
I would not suggest Waldorf schools for anyone, but especially not for children with learning disabilities.

Ten Things You Should Know About Waldorf/Steiner Schools – The Quackometer Blog

Quote:
1. Claim: Rudolf Steiner was a philosopher, child psychologist and scientist.
Rudolf Steiner was a follower of the occult belief system of Theosophy. He split with other Theosophists in around 1912 after most accepted an Indian child named Krishnamurti as the new “World Teacher” and reincarnation of Christ.

2. Claim: Curriculum and methods are based around theories of child development.
Anthroposophical child development is different from what you might think of as child development. In line with with Steiner’s mystical religious beliefs, his theories of child development are based around the process of reincarnation.

5. Claim: Delayed reading benefits children.
One of the main signatures of a Waldorf Education is that children do not start to learn to read until much later than other schools. Parents are often told there is good research to delay reading. But the reason for delaying reading is not based on educational evidence but for occult reasons.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:24 AM

I wasn't really asking if others thought if Waldorf styles were good or not for my child. I was asking if and where these kinds of schools might be located around Houston. I know of 2.

Regarding "delayed reading"... Norway kids don't even start school until the age of 7. They don't read or write that first year either. They play. Yet these same kids have the number 1 education in the world.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,796,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I wasn't really asking if others thought if Waldorf styles were good or not for my child. I was asking if and where these kinds of schools might be located around Houston. I know of 2.

Regarding "delayed reading"... Norway kids don't even start school until the age of 7. They don't read or write that first year either. They play. Yet these same kids have the number 1 education in the world.
That's NOT Waldorf. If you want your child indoctrinated in Anthroposophy, then Waldorf is fine, but I thought you ought to know what you are getting into.

They do not teach good science and math - especially science.

Eugenie Scott is one scientist who speaks about their *odd science.*

Waldorf Schools Teach Odd Science, Odd Evolution

Quote:
if schools follow Steiner's views on science, education will suffer. Steiner believed that materialism was insufficient for the understanding of nature. He believed that science needs to "go beyond" the empirical and consider vitalistic, unobservable forces, a perspective also common in 20th century New Age healing approaches. Anthroposophical medicine, similar to homeopathy but even less scientific, claims that disease is caused only secondarily by malfunctions of chemistry and biology, and primarily by a disturbance of the "vital essence." Anatomy and physiology a la Steiner are unrecognizable by modern scientists: the heart does not pump blood; there are 12 senses ("touch, life, movement, equilibrium, warmth, smell," etc.) corresponding to signs of the zodiac; there is a "rhythmic" system that mediates between the "nerve-sense" and "metabolic-muscular" systems. Physics and chemistry are just as bad: the "elements" are earth, air, fire, and water. The four "kingdoms of nature" are mineral, plant, animal and man. Color is said to be the result of the conflict of light and darkness. Typical geological stages are Post-Atlantis, Atlantis, Mid-Lemuria, and Lemuria.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:29 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,026,646 times
I don't think we have many Waldorf schools in the Houston area. Liberal folk in the inner loop usually just send their kids to HISD schools.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:28 PM

175 posts, read 367,718 times
We have only those two Waldorf schools in Houston. Wonderful schools, by the way. I know plenty of parents whose kids went there. Most kids transition to Montessori after they finish elementary. Particularly to School of the Woods. We have some Waldorf kids there. Some who also moved from Austin. Austin has better choices.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:50 PM

509 posts, read 550,954 times
A quick google search will tell you that there are a few "Waldorf inspired" schools. Bayou Village seems to come up the most.

Waldorf schools can be great or they can be junk; same as any other type of schooling, HISD included.
If it's what works for you and your family that is great. good luck.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
A quick google search will tell you that there are a few "Waldorf inspired" schools. Bayou Village seems to come up the most.

Waldorf schools can be great or they can be junk; same as any other type of schooling, HISD included.
If it's what works for you and your family that is great. good luck.
Yeah, I was just seeing if anyone here had any experience with them.

No idea if that type of school would be good for my daughter or not. I just know traditional school isn't. Now, for my youngest, traditional school is perfect. But at this point I'm probably going to have to homeschool my oldest when we get back.

Looking for alternative schooling options around Houston, and not finding much for older kids.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:51 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,026,646 times
If you're in HISD some public schools may be relatively experimental or have "creative" emphases. At the HS level HSPVA and/or Carnegie might be the best bets for the oldest if homeschooling isn't feasible, but they may be hard to get into.

Quote:
Yeah, I was just seeing if anyone here had any experience with them.

No idea if that type of school would be good for my daughter or not. I just know traditional school isn't. Now, for my youngest, traditional school is perfect. But at this point I'm probably going to have to homeschool my oldest when we get back.

Looking for alternative schooling options around Houston, and not finding much for older kids.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:46 AM

175 posts, read 367,718 times
Quote:

I specialize in alternative schooling. If you are interested in other options besides Waldorf, PM me. We can chat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston