Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 05:05 PM

23 posts, read 52,442 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone, I am posting in these forums again, with questions about Sugar Land and Houston!

I have been looking to move to Sugar Land, and have asked a few things before regarding the city.

I'm planning on visiting the city with my family around the beginning to mid summer, and would like to know of some more places to check out in both Sugar Land and Houston.
We are probablly going to check out the malls and bookstores in both cities, go to the theater in Houston as well as check out the aquarium, and drive down to the pier in Galveston.
Any and all suggestions for places to go and thigs to do in Sugar Land and Houston would be great, both things targeted torwards tourist, as well as things locals do, and places to eat.

Now on to the weather.

I know its really hot and humid there and that it could be sunny one second and raining the next, I dont mind that at all, but how cold does it usually get in winter, and how long does it remain cold?

On to another weather related topic, last year it was all over the news that there was major flooding in the Houston area, plus flooding and power outages whenever hurricanes happen such as Ike.
My question about this is, how bad is the flooding and or wind damage usually in Sugar Land when storms like last year's, or even hurricanes happen, and if power outages occur durring these storm, how long do they usually last?
The hurricane part is really important to me, considering that next year will be 10 years after Ike, and that is usually when the next one hits.

Sorry for the long post, it probablly could have been shorter.
Thanks in advance to everyone that answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 08:23 AM

691 posts, read 824,472 times
Brazos Bend State Park is about 20 mins south of Sugar Land

Brazos Bend State Park

George Ranch Historical Park

http://www.georgeranch.org/

Museum Natural Science

HMNS at Sugar Land | Houston Museum Of Natural Science

Head to the beach on the Bolivar Peninsula.... take the ferry over from GALVESTON, may be combine it with a trip along the coast to Freeport beaches

https://www.bolivarpeninsulatexas.com/

Space Center

https://spacecenter.org/visitor-information/

Downtown Aquarium Restaurant for lunch... sit next to the big tank. right next to the theater district, Jones Hall Hobby Center

Downtown Aquarium - Houston, TX

Sugar Land doesn't really have a flooding problem, Richmond, on the other side of the Brazos has had a significant problem, but they dont have levees the way Sugar land does.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:25 AM

691 posts, read 824,472 times
Events in Sugar Land Town Square

Sugar Land Town Square

Houston Press events

Houston Events Calendar and Things To Do 2017 | Houston Press

Old 01-30-2017, 09:53 AM

99 posts, read 170,301 times
Last year, my family and I visited Houston for few days;

In Houston
Houston Zoo, a very nice and big too
Hermann Park
Waterwall Park
Discovery Green

Not to far from Houston
Kemah Boardwalk, very nice with a view of gulf
NASA space center
Galveston

BBQ restaurant
Goody Co

Grab a Houston City Pass has a lot of attraction and good pricing.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:14 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,007,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Wayne View Post
Hello, everyone, I am posting in these forums again, with questions about Sugar Land and Houston!

I have been looking to move to Sugar Land, and have asked a few things before regarding the city.

I'm planning on visiting the city with my family around the beginning to mid summer, and would like to know of some more places to check out in both Sugar Land and Houston.
We are probablly going to check out the malls and bookstores in both cities, go to the theater in Houston as well as check out the aquarium, and drive down to the pier in Galveston.
Any and all suggestions for places to go and thigs to do in Sugar Land and Houston would be great, both things targeted torwards tourist, as well as things locals do, and places to eat.

Now on to the weather.

I know its really hot and humid there and that it could be sunny one second and raining the next, I dont mind that at all, but how cold does it usually get in winter, and how long does it remain cold?

On to another weather related topic, last year it was all over the news that there was major flooding in the Houston area, plus flooding and power outages whenever hurricanes happen such as Ike.
My question about this is, how bad is the flooding and or wind damage usually in Sugar Land when storms like last year's, or even hurricanes happen, and if power outages occur durring these storm, how long do they usually last?
The hurricane part is really important to me, considering that next year will be 10 years after Ike, and that is usually when the next one hits.

In Houston you can visit
1) Zoo
2) Hermann Park
3) Downtown ( just walk around)
4) Galveston
5) Museum district
6) Galleria Mall( Some good restaurants around the Post Oak lane)
7) Galveston
8) Sylvan beach park( small beach and much closer than Galveston).

Only place to go in Sugarland is your home if you have one.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:50 AM

730 posts, read 767,624 times
Quote:

Now on to the weather.

Not unusual to measure length of time between freezes in years. Due to the proximity to the coast it will warm back up pretty quick after a cold front. Going from shorts to coats and back to shorts all within 7-10 days is common.

If you're concerned about how long it takes to get power back up buy a home in a master planned community that has the power lines buried.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:18 PM

390 posts, read 385,379 times
Quote:

Now on to the weather.

Things to do in Houston.
1. Spend a day downtown. Park your car and walk to discovery green to hang out. Then grab a bite to eat at one of the new restaurants across the street at the convention center. While downtown, you can hit up the aquarium and hit up bayou place or the market Square area.Take the rail down to the musuem district and check out some musuems. While in musuem district, take a stroll through Herman park for photos. When you are done with that area , hop back on the train and stop in midtown for happy hour. Then get back on train and go back to your car and head to Ipic theater in river oaks district near the galleria for a nice movie and reclining chairs.

2. Kemah boardwalk/moody gardens/pleasure pier in Galveston.
3.city centre /Chinatown/Buffalo bayou park/waterwall park.
4.Rice Village/the heights/the woodlands Pavillion area
5. If into nightlife midtown/downtown/Washington ave/montrose.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:50 PM

154 posts, read 147,155 times
"Only place to go in Sugarland is your home if you have one."

Written by someone who apparently hasn't been to Sugar Land recently, if ever.

For starters:

Professional baseball: Sugar Land Skeeters
Houston Museum of Natural Science at Sugar Land
Children's Discovery Center
Fabulous new performing arts center just opened--check out the upcoming shows: Smart Financial Centre
Nice new parks being improved: great jogging trails and dog park at Sugar Land Memorial Park
Good restaurants and even a couple of night clubs and wine bars
Farmers' Market at Imperial--year-round

I love and enjoy Houston, but to say there is "nothing" in Sugar Land is just silly.

http://www.sugarlandtx.gov/index.aspx?NID=197

Last edited by rbheeler; 01-30-2017 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 01-31-2017, 05:17 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,677,885 times
A park and restaurants! Hurry and book your Sugarland vacation today.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:06 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,007,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
A park and restaurants! Hurry and book your Sugarland vacation today.
You missed the top rated schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston