Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:09 AM

9 posts, read 61,583 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Hi Everyone,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I'm from Michigan and am considering moving to Houston. I know the cost of living in Houston is low compared to other cities, but I am from a small town and need to figure out whether or not I could afford to live here. I'm primarily concerned with the cost of renting an apartment. I would work at Westheimer and Fountain View Drive, and would like to live as close to work as possible. Being a young single female, safety is also key for me. I'm not concerned about size, a would be perfectly happy in a tiny studio as long as its safe and close. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]What range would you say I can expect to pay? I'm thinking my budget is about $700 per month, could I find something in that range? Also, what area is Westheimer/Fountain View conisdered to be a part of? The Galleria?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Thank you for any help you can offer![/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 11:18 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Yes that part of town is the Galleria. But for safe and nice, with gated parking and security, your're looking at 800 and up.

Some of the apartments on Fountain View have been redone, they're nice but more expensive now. Some are seedy. There's a new Alexan a little farther down San Felipe, but I think it's going for 950 and up.

The Mirage is a good one for that area.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:34 PM

44 posts, read 163,007 times
You can rent a house in northern Westbury (about a 10-15 minute drive from the galleria) for about $1200 a month. That whole Galleria area is a major business district with heavy traffic. Even in an apartment with gates and security you have professional criminals that do their business of breaking into cars and apartments. There is also a very high population density there so no one really knows anyone and there is great potential for crime.

If you don't know anyone in the city then rent there for over $800 (for a 600 sq ft box) like the other person said but find a roommate and rent a house further to the south in Westbury once the lease is up. Northern Westbury is pretty much all residential and lacks the low rent high crime apartments and you do see a few homes for lease there. Just make sure you work out with the landlord who will cut the grass, do repairs, pay the water bill, etc...

Find a roommate and you can get a garage space for your car and private backyard for $600 a month in a 3 bdrm house that is 1800-2000 sq ft.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:18 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,107 times
Do you drive and have a car? If so, you might want to consider living further away for safer and cheaper apartment.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:15 PM

Thank you all for your help! Its nice to at least have a number in mind, even if it is higher than I would like.

Yes, I do have a car. What other areas would you recommend I look into for safer and cheaper apartments?

Old 03-02-2008, 05:34 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cauliflower18 View Post
Thank you all for your help! Its nice to at least have a number in mind, even if it is higher than I would like.

Yes, I do have a car. What other areas would you recommend I look into for safer and cheaper apartments?
How old are you?

Have you look into Medical Center and Pearland?

Old 03-02-2008, 06:51 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Med center is not going to be any safer than Uptown. Just look at crime maps online and you'll notice that both have more than their fair share of crime.

For safe on that budget, I would really look into a place in Bellaire or West U with a roommate. Or maybe something inside 610 like Upper Kirby/Greenway areas. That way you're centrally located to basically everything. I think you could find a safe & nice 2 bedroom for about $1300-1400.

But a 1 bedroom for $700 is cutting it close in that general area, which is relatively high-rent to begin with. Without a roommate, I'd up my budget to about $900.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:00 PM

I'm 23 so if I could move someplace where there are younger people that would be ideal, although cheap, safe and close to work are most important.

I think pearland is still too far away, but I'll look into medical center a bit more... thanks!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:03 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
* CHEAP
* CLOSE TO WORK
* SAFE

More often than not you're gonna have to choose 2 of the above and leave one behind.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Med center is not going to be any safer than Uptown. Just look at crime maps online and you'll notice that both have more than their fair share of crime.

For safe on that budget, I would really look into a place in Bellaire or West U with a roommate. Or maybe something inside 610 like Upper Kirby/Greenway areas. That way you're centrally located to basically everything. I think you could find a safe & nice 2 bedroom for about $1300-1400.

But a 1 bedroom for $700 is cutting it close in that general area, which is relatively high-rent to begin with. Without a roommate, I'd up my budget to about $900.

Opps I posted before I read your suggetions... thank you, I think I'll look into the areas you suggested.

I don't know anyone in houston so I'd really prefer to find a one bedroom but that might not be possible... do many people find roomates online through places like craigslist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston