U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:57 AM

53 posts, read 92,376 times
Smile Katy, Sugarland, Missouri city, which one to choose?

I am a single African American female with 3 teenage daughters looking to relocate from MI to TX, trying to escape the cold weather. Types of areas that I am interested in (ideally): excellent public school system, diverse ethnic population, very low crime rate, not bordering any high crime areas. I am currently living in Beverly Hills MI bordering Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills. Anyone familiar with that area? Looking for somewhere similiar in TX. I've spoken with a few realtors who have suggested Katy, Sugarland and Missouri City. According to property that I have viewed on the internet housing seems to be very affordable in comparison to MI. Which area has best property taxes? Best public schools? Lowest crime. Looking for 4/5 bedroom newer home approx 3000 sq ft or better for not more than 250,000. Do the homes have basements? Would like to lease at first to get familiar with areas. any thoughts, suggestions, feedback would be appreciated. Also I am a Network Engineer (CISCO) in the IT field. CCNP certification. Currently doing contract work for major telecommunication CO. How it the IT field job availability in the area. Been in the industry for about 10 yrs. Any one know average pay scale for CCNP certified Network Engineers with VoIP exp. Also experience in corporate training would love to do that again. Have to escape this cold weather we have been experiencing 1 snow storm per wk. (no exaggeration)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 12:32 PM

I would also be interested in other similiar areas. Also if possible can you give zip codes? which one desirable, which ones to avoid, as far as crime concerned.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:34 PM

3,701 posts, read 10,634,526 times
You really, really need to know where you will be working before you make decisions on where to live. The above three neighborhoods are nice and fit your qualifications but there are a number of other areas that would work too. The problem is the commute. The City of Houston proper is about 35 miles across between the beltways, add in the outer beltway areas and the suburbs your looking at 50 to 70 miles across (Spring/Tomball to Clear Lake/League City). Not a fun thought during rush hour.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:45 PM

44 posts, read 107,495 times
Of those 3 I would pick Missouri City just because the homes are more affordable and it has better access to the city. Katy is on the west side of metro-Houston and I-10 is the major freeway that leads to it. This freeway is contantly under construction and is a nightmare no matter what. It crawls at least 3-4 hours during both the PM and AM traffic times.

Sugarland is just over priced and has lately seen a sharp rise in crime. It was once Pleasantville but in the past few years there have been home invasions and professional criminals following people home from stripmalls to rob them at gunpoint in their own driveway. This city also has tons of population density and traffic lights on major roads have to cycle 3-5 times before you can pass them during peak traffic hours.

Missouri City is right next to Sugarland but not considered as prestigious. Like Sugarland it was developed and built starting in the late 70s/early 80s but boomed from the 90s to present. Newly reconstructed HWY 90 is not yet a traffic nightmare and can get you from the city to Missouri City in good time. There is also the new Fort Bend Tollway that is a back way in if need be. A few areas of MO City are older construction which IMHO is superior to the homes that were thrown up in the past 10 years when housing boomed.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:52 PM

Thanks. so u think i would more than likely be working in Houston rather than finding employment in my field in any of the suburban areas? I currently commute just under 100 miles each way to work for a 4 day wk and even though all highway I hate it, especially on icy snow covered roads. Economy in MI horrible along with ugly weather for the majority of the yr especially if you love sunshine as I do. Hate long commutes and rush hour traffic, but then again doesn't everyone. would love to be able to work and live in same area. But definitely do not want to live in city. Based on experience living in Detroit which has some nice areas as far as houses go, but very high crime rates and horrible school system. Not sure how Houston is, but living in Detroit has turned me off of city dwelling, even though i like to be able to drive to city without it being a road trip :-). Any large companies located or have branch offices on outskirts of Houston?

Old 03-02-2008, 12:54 PM

8,801 posts, read 14,372,567 times
I bet you could find a good IT job in the Energy Corridor, so Katy would be a great fit. And you could say goodbye to those 100 mile commutes. It would be more like a 3-10 mile commute.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:02 PM

definitely trying to avoid high crime like the ones Poltracker describes. That sounds like Detroit if you throw in getting carjacked at the gas stations when trying to pump gas. My 15 yr old daughter and her boyfriend carjacked and she was chased at gunpoint by a car full of men trying to abduct her. Thank God she was able to get away by running down street barefooted and hopping fences, while they followed in car and some got out and chased her on foot. She hopped fence and took her chances with a big dog rather than the thugs. They didn't want to deal with the dog and turned around while she hid until the homeowner came out and helped her. Definitely want to avoid areas where this type of incident likely to occur. Area where we live now very safe looking for something comparable. Although crime is everywhere some places where violent crimes like those descibed less likely to occur.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:06 PM

44 posts, read 107,495 times
Houston does not having zoning laws so it is not uncommon to find a highrise next to a single famliy house in many areas. Sugarland (a few minutes drive from Missouri City) has tons of business office buildings in it. I can't say I know that they are in the IT field but I'm sure some are. Look for work in zip codes 77459, 77478, or 77479 as a starting point.

Downtown Houston was pretty much an abandoned ghetto with over 50% vancant office space after the energy bust of the early 80s. It turned a corner in the 90s and came back big and I would attribute a big chunk of that to Enron Corporation before it went bust. Downtown is still being reshaped and tons of condos/lofts have been built in the past 5-8 years. However, that does not mean all of the jobs are going there.

Zip Codes 77057 and 77056 are in the Galleria area of town. This is also a major business area with tons of various companies setting up shop in the area.

I can understand why you want to leave Detroit. I have been there in 01 and 07 when I crossed into Windsor. The difference between the two cities is shocking. The 6-8 inch deep potholes in the freeway are what I most remember about Detroit.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:14 PM

Easily amused that sounds very encouraging! That sounds like my kind of commute. I will research that area u called Energy Corridor. Thanx

Old 03-02-2008, 01:17 PM

8,801 posts, read 14,372,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_176 View Post
The 6-8 inch deep potholes in the freeway are what I most remember about Detroit.
Yeah, we just have those all over town, not on the freeways though.

Katy is about as safe as you can get with still having some diversity.
Sugarland is good as well, but I really don't know much about it.
The Woodlands, isn't very diverse and is having growing pains.
Pearland might be another good option and it's an ok commute into downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston