U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 641 times

Advertisements

Anyone commute from the Heights or Montrose area up to Spring?

My fiancé and I are looking to upgrade from a small apartment in Westchase to a townhouse in the Heights , Garden Oaks area. My commute now from west chase to cypress station is about 30 min each way up beltway 8 and not a bad drive (no stop and go).

I was wondering how the commute would be from the heights to spring area from the Heights. I assume the quickest route would be on 45.

Also, anyone have any experience with Intown Homes in cottage grove or any other of their locations in the heights area / rice military area?

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 09:39 AM

6,963 posts, read 4,197,216 times
In my opinion, the concept of reverse commuting is kind of overrated in Houston. There are residential and employment centers all through the metro center. You'd think heading downtown at 5 or 6 would be easy, but I get stuck in thick traffic every time.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:24 AM

775 posts, read 897,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
In my opinion, the concept of reverse commuting is kind of overrated in Houston. There are residential and employment centers all through the metro center. You'd think heading downtown at 5 or 6 would be easy, but I get stuck in thick traffic every time.
Agreed. Unless you are doing something like "Sugar Land to Needville" and parts beyond, reverse commuting isn't as much of a thing here as it would be in other major cities.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:51 AM

13,160 posts, read 15,983,943 times
Reverse commute going through Spring/The Woodlands doesn't help
There's always traffic there

Old 02-08-2017, 11:03 AM

892 posts, read 1,565,711 times
You can take the Hardy Toll Rd

Old 02-08-2017, 01:18 PM

4,170 posts, read 10,232,914 times
I know several people who live in Oak Forest/Garden Oaks and work up at the Exxon campus. You can take Shepherd up until it merges into 45 so you are already almost to 249 before you have to deal with highway traffic.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:49 PM

381 posts, read 211,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1590 View Post
Anyone commute from the Heights or Montrose area up to Spring?

My fiancé and I are looking to upgrade from a small apartment in Westchase to a townhouse in the Heights , Garden Oaks area. My commute now from west chase to cypress station is about 30 min each way up beltway 8 and not a bad drive (no stop and go).

I was wondering how the commute would be from the heights to spring area from the Heights. I assume the quickest route would be on 45.

Also, anyone have any experience with Intown Homes in cottage grove or any other of their locations in the heights area / rice military area?

thanks in advance.

Use Google Map in the morning to find out what the exact commute time is.
A lot of young professionals do this commute to the Woodlands so it's not intolerable. On most days it's a 30-45 minute drive in the morning and 40-60 minute drive in the afternoon.
You're probably closer to Greenspoint than The Woodlands since you're saying it's only 30 min from Westchase so my guess is there would not be a lot of difference in terms of commute time if you make the move.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:27 PM

352 posts, read 141,080 times
The drive to Spring is not at all bad from the Greater Heights. Like another poster said, go up Shepherd to 45, and Spring is another 10 or 15 minutes in the morning. Slightly longer in the afternoon. My friends who work in the Woodlnds tell me the drive to the Heights in the afternoon is about 40 minutes. It's longer than expected because traffic in The Woodlands is somewhat slow.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:10 PM

675 posts, read 341,366 times
Reverse commuting from Houston to Katy is pretty good actually. I-10W has no issues after 610 loop.
And probably from Houston to Pearland.
So in some cases it works.
But from Montrose to Spring it might be pretty tough. Should be much better from Heights though.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Use Google Map in the morning to find out what the exact commute time is.
A lot of young professionals do this commute to the Woodlands so it's not intolerable. On most days it's a 30-45 minute drive in the morning and 40-60 minute drive in the afternoon.
You're probably closer to Greenspoint than The Woodlands since you're saying it's only 30 min from Westchase so my guess is there would not be a lot of difference in terms of commute time if you make the move.
You're right , I work near I-45 / 1960 , so the time for commuting wouldn't be so different from what Im doing now. Although, I do think driving the beltway is much more relaxed than dealing with I-45.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston