U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2017, 12:03 PM
 
48 posts, read 54,583 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

Hi,

I live in harris county and my DL expired while i was abroad 10 days ago.
Should I redo the whole process including the written and road tests to get a new license or can I renew my expired license as its not even 2 weeks since expiry?

Please share your experience.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2017, 12:26 PM
 
15,633 posts, read 23,241,653 times
Reputation: 22799
Did you knwo that you can renew your Texas driver's license a full year befoe it expires? I did that online last year and my license doesnt expire until this year.

The following is excerpted from the DMV website:

Expired Drivers License

You'll need to visit your local driver license office in person and:
Apply for a new TX driver's license.
Pass a written knowledge test.
Pass a driving test.


Texas Drivers License Renewal Guide | DMV.org
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2017, 12:34 PM
 
7,445 posts, read 10,951,333 times
Reputation: 3906
Go to the Richmond Rosenberg dps you will be in and out in 30min or less other dps locations you will wait 90min to 2hrs

Rosenberg Texas DPS & DOT Office Locations & Hours | DMV.org
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2017, 01:19 PM
 
48 posts, read 54,583 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Did you knwo that you can renew your Texas driver's license a full year befoe it expires? I did that online last year and my license doesnt expire until this year.

The following is excerpted from the DMV website:

Expired Drivers License

You'll need to visit your local driver license office in person and:
Apply for a new TX driver's license.
Pass a written knowledge test.
Pass a driving test.


Texas Drivers License Renewal Guide | DMV.org
Yes, I knew. But I was not eligible(as per the requirements, as I am not a citizen etc) to renew online. In-person was the only way I had to renew. I guess I have to take the tests again as per what you mentioned. Some states have some grace period but looks like TX has none.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2017, 01:41 PM
 
10,212 posts, read 3,927,630 times
Reputation: 14247
From the DPS website https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/renewal.htm

Renewing Expired License
NOTE: The expiration date and renewal requirements for individuals 79 years of age or older are different.
Driver licenses or ID cards that have been expired for more than two years cannot be renewed. To obtain a driver license or ID card, the individual:
  1. Must apply in person as a new applicant at a driver license office, and
  2. Meet all of the requirements for a new ID card or driver license (including taking the knowledge and driving tests).
Individuals who have not provided documents to verify their U.S. citizenship or lawful presence status must do so before renewing. (Some individuals who renewed in person after October 2008 may have already met this requirement.)




You may be able to renew online
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2017, 01:42 PM
 
10,212 posts, read 3,927,630 times
Reputation: 14247
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Did you knwo that you can renew your Texas driver's license a full year befoe it expires? I did that online last year and my license doesnt expire until this year.

The following is excerpted from the DMV website:
snip
DMV.org is not an official website, and should generally be ignored in favor of visiting the DPS site that has the actual State of Texas information.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2017, 05:59 PM
 
48 posts, read 54,583 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
From the DPS website https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/renewal.htm

Renewing Expired License
NOTE: The expiration date and renewal requirements for individuals 79 years of age or older are different.
Driver licenses or ID cards that have been expired for more than two years cannot be renewed. To obtain a driver license or ID card, the individual:
  1. Must apply in person as a new applicant at a driver license office, and
  2. Meet all of the requirements for a new ID card or driver license (including taking the knowledge and driving tests).
Individuals who have not provided documents to verify their U.S. citizenship or lawful presence status must do so before renewing. (Some individuals who renewed in person after October 2008 may have already met this requirement.)




You may be able to renew online
I did go through https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/renewal.htm but found it unclear whether I need to take the tests again to renew the expired license.

FYI, I am now in Houston and don't have a problem to go in-person for renewal but if I need to take the tests again, I need to plan well ahead as road test slots usually are not available immediately.

To sum up, I am just asking whether we can renew DL within a month of expiry without taking the road test.

The DPS website said as below but didn't elaborate-

Did you know that your Texas driver license or ID can be renewed?

Up to one year before the expiration date, or
Up to two years after the expiration date.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2017, 06:00 PM
 
48 posts, read 54,583 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Go to the Richmond Rosenberg dps you will be in and out in 30min or less other dps locations you will wait 90min to 2hrs

Rosenberg Texas DPS & DOT Office Locations & Hours | DMV.org
Thanks. Will check this when I plan to go.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2017, 07:29 PM
 
10,212 posts, read 3,927,630 times
Reputation: 14247
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderful View Post
I did go through https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/renewal.htm but found it unclear whether I need to take the tests again to renew the expired license.

FYI, I am now in Houston and don't have a problem to go in-person for renewal but if I need to take the tests again, I need to plan well ahead as road test slots usually are not available immediately.

To sum up, I am just asking whether we can renew DL within a month of expiry without taking the road test.

The DPS website said as below but didn't elaborate-

Did you know that your Texas driver license or ID can be renewed?

Up to one year before the expiration date, or
Up to two years after the expiration date.
You only have to retake the test, etc if your license has been expired over two years. Realistically, no state is going to make you start over for a license that expired less than two weeks ago.

Try renewing online, unless you are at the 12 year mark and have to take a new picture.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2017, 10:00 AM
 
48 posts, read 54,583 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You only have to retake the test, etc if your license has been expired over two years. Realistically, no state is going to make you start over for a license that expired less than two weeks ago.

Try renewing online, unless you are at the 12 year mark and have to take a new picture.
I hope so! Will again try the DPS number and will post here what I learn.
Thanks for the help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top