U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-04-2008, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
3,210 posts, read 5,046,710 times
Reputation: 2030
Default Okay to stay at hotel near Hobby Airport? (I-45 in SE Houston)

I know it's probably not the best area to live in, but I found a great deal at a hotel right on the Gulf Freeway very close to Hobby Airport. I will be coming down to spend a few days in just a few weeks.

I'm strongly considering a move to Houston, so don't be surprised if I post more questions on here in the weeks to come about things to do, where to live, etc.

Anyway, is the Gulf Freeway/Airport Blvd. area a decent place to stay for a few days? It's not like I would be in the room or around the hotel very much. Any help is much appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2008, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,679 posts, read 4,615,469 times
Reputation: 1960
When we came down a few weeks ago, we stayed at the Beachcomber Hotel in Galveston and just commuted to Houston, It's worth it if you're also interested in a mini-vacation while you look around. Also, it'll give you a better idea of traffic up I-45.

Two weeks ago, The Beachcomber was $35 a night and not a bad hotel.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
3,210 posts, read 5,046,710 times
Reputation: 2030
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
When we came down a few weeks ago, we stayed at the Beachcomber Hotel in Galveston and just commuted to Houston, It's worth it if you're also interested in a mini-vacation while you look around. Also, it'll give you a better idea of traffic up I-45.

Two weeks ago, The Beachcomber was $35 a night and not a bad hotel.
Thanks, FutureTexan (that should be my alias here but you took it, lol.)

I'll have to look into the Beachcomber. I just wanted to look into Houston as much as possible, since if I moved there I'd probably live in Harris Co. But, I've been to Galveston and it's not a bad little city.

By the way, I live three hours north of you in Kentucky. I've considered moving to Nashville and, while I like it, it just doesn't call out to me as much as Texas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 07:38 AM
 
Location: 77059
7,649 posts, read 17,004,001 times
Reputation: 3652
That stretch of 45 is a little rough, but not nearly as rough as a few other parts of town. Strip clubs, porno stores, Mexican restaurants, furniture warehouses, the crappy Almeda mall, and massive street flooding in rain are all this area is good for. At a hotel off the freeway, I'd be most concerned with car crimes in a hotel right next to the getaway route. If you have a rental, it'd be wise to get insurance on it to CYA. When you're out & about, watch for people riding their bikes/trikes on the freeway feeders and city streets. Many of these folks speak no English and have absolutely no respect for laws around here. And after 10pm be on the lookout for drunk drivers, especially on the weekends. Otherwise, you'll be fine. But honestly if I had to stay in a hotel, I'd stay closer to the airport.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
3,210 posts, read 5,046,710 times
Reputation: 2030
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
That stretch of 45 is a little rough, but not nearly as rough as a few other parts of town. Strip clubs, porno stores, Mexican restaurants, furniture warehouses, the crappy Almeda mall, and massive street flooding in rain are all this area is good for. At a hotel off the freeway, I'd be most concerned with car crimes in a hotel right next to the getaway route. If you have a rental, it'd be wise to get insurance on it to CYA. When you're out & about, watch for people riding their bikes/trikes on the freeway feeders and city streets. Many of these folks speak no English and have absolutely no respect for laws around here. And after 10pm be on the lookout for drunk drivers, especially on the weekends. Otherwise, you'll be fine. But honestly if I had to stay in a hotel, I'd stay closer to the airport.
This hotel is right at one mile from the airport and sits right on I-45. Pretty close to Hobby. Is that not close enough?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 07:56 AM
 
2,577 posts, read 5,232,195 times
Reputation: 1831
If you are going to stay near Hobby, I'd look into this one:

Hidden Oaks Bed and Breakfast - The wedding venue in Houston

For restaurants around there, 888 is great Chinese food, Pappas Seafood at Gulfgate or Chilos Seafood (45 near Bellfort) are both good, the latter being much cheaper. For comfort food Kelly's or Dot Diner (which is also owned by the Pappas'). George's Italian on Park Place. For breakfast Tel-Wink or Frank's on Telephone, Kelly's, or Dot all far surpass the IHOP. Naomi's breakfast Taco's on Park Place got a glowing write up from Chronicle food Editor, and the Houston Press voted the Kolache Factory on Telephone best kolaches. For Mexican food Taqueria Del Sol is really good too, also on Park Place.

Oh and FYI, there are a few little decent pockets to live in right around Hobby as well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 08:03 AM
 
Location: 77059
7,649 posts, read 17,004,001 times
Reputation: 3652
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
This hotel is right at one mile from the airport and sits right on I-45. Pretty close to Hobby. Is that not close enough?

The ''left exit ramp'' to the airport is more like 2 miles from the freeway, down Aiport Blvd anyway, which winds a little. There are about 4-5 traffic lights to deal with before you get there. There are hotels that are virtually across the street from that ramp, almost within walking distance from the airport drop off area.

I also second Taqueria Del Sol. One of my favorites. The panaderia next door is excellent if you have a sweet tooth!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,679 posts, read 4,615,469 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
By the way, I live three hours north of you in Kentucky. I've considered moving to Nashville and, while I like it, it just doesn't call out to me as much as Texas.
If you have any questions, just shoot me a DM.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
3,210 posts, read 5,046,710 times
Reputation: 2030
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I hope they keep comin' in!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
6,233 posts, read 8,705,998 times
Reputation: 3567
Personally I wouldn't stay near Hobby airport - I don't think it is a very safe area. I would probably go a bit further up the freeway toward Clear Lake or back into town toward downtown.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top