Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 11:22 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
The people who really, really need to think about relocating are those who can't stand to see so many people who are different from themselves. Are their whining isn't going to change a thing, especially in Houston. I have a few family members like that.
#1 on that list, is all the people that complain about Houston's heat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 10:36 AM

363 posts, read 557,603 times
I always find it curious that Houston and Texas as a whole keeps being boosted as a Jobs state when I lived there it was impossible to find work. I feel like Houston has jobs for industries that service Oil & Gas. It's also an industry that's incestuous and only wants people with Oil, Chemical & Gas experience whether you're in Marketing or Finance.

I work in the marketing/advertising industry for decades and every Texas recruiter informed me I was in the worst state for my profession. As soon as I moved back to California I land a job right away.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:37 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
I always find it curious that Houston and Texas as a whole keeps being boosted as a Jobs state when I lived there it was impossible to find work.
I constantly hear people saying that jobs in Houston don't pay crap

Old 03-10-2017, 03:47 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
I always find it curious that Houston and Texas as a whole keeps being boosted as a Jobs state when I lived there it was impossible to find work. I feel like Houston has jobs for industries that service Oil & Gas. It's also an industry that's incestuous and only wants people with Oil, Chemical & Gas experience whether you're in Marketing or Finance.

I work in the marketing/advertising industry for decades and every Texas recruiter informed me I was in the worst state for my profession. As soon as I moved back to California I land a job right away.
I'd figure Dallas would be a good city for that.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:53 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I'd figure Dallas would be a good city for that.
Dallas is overwhelmingly focused on consumer goods and services, mainly serving the oil & gas folks in Houston and the rest of Texas with the personal consumption part of the economic cycle.

I know you can't wait to get out of L.A., C.A. and move back to Houston or somewhere in Texas (particularly Dallas).

Old 03-10-2017, 10:12 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,241,757 times
Quote:
I always find it curious that Houston and Texas as a whole keeps being boosted as a Jobs state when I lived there it was impossible to find work. I feel like Houston has jobs for industries that service Oil & Gas. It's also an industry that's incestuous and only wants people with Oil, Chemical & Gas experience whether you're in Marketing or Finance..
If you knew anything about the oil, gas and chemicals industry you would know how high tech it truly is. "Marketing and Finance" will get you nowhere.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:34 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
If you knew anything about the oil, gas and chemicals industry you would know how high tech it truly is. "Marketing and Finance" will get you nowhere.
Careful, every company, even "Energy", needs corporate support functions such as Marketing, Finance, HR, etc.!!! (Well the good 'ol boy incestuous relationships probably inhibits any need of marketing in the oil industry.)

Old 03-10-2017, 11:19 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,241,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
I figured this was a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Careful, every company, even "Energy", needs corporate support functions such as Marketing, Finance, HR, etc.!!! (Well the good 'ol boy incestuous relationships probably inhibits any need of marketing in the oil industry.)
Well finance is Enron-lite style that you can't learn in school.

HR is a beauty pageant. They are the front line who deals with guys who get fired for saying the wrong thing to the wrong VP, and their pretty faces and bubbly attitudes keep those guys from going nuclear.

Marketing is non existent because everyone needs to go to work (oil). Everyone needs natural gas for electricity in their homes. And everyone likes their iPhones and other plastic toys made from polyethylene. So I just did your marketing.

What else do you want to know?

Old 03-11-2017, 02:26 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Joel Kotkin, while he has written some interesting books in the past, is at this point, basically nothing but a paid promoter for Houston who ignores any and all issues that the city may have.

I know Houston often feels like it gets piled on unnecessarily and I personally like the city a lot, but its self consciousness and resistance to criticism is the reason the city got so far behind on improving itself in the past, its good to see the rail and new bus system though!

Old 03-11-2017, 04:57 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Joel Kotkin, while he has written some interesting books in the past, is at this point, basically nothing but a paid promoter for Houston who ignores any and all issues that the city may have.

I know Houston often feels like it gets piled on unnecessarily and I personally like the city a lot, but its self consciousness and resistance to criticism is the reason the city got so far behind on improving itself in the past, its good to see the rail and new bus system though!
Houston gets piled on because it has not been self conscience enough if anything. There isn't a city in the country that has relied more upon spontaneous development, and a laissez faire governmental attitude than Houston.

Dallas is the city that is much more self-conscience and manicures and controls it's image, if at all possible, not Houston...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston