U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 01:06 PM

14,361 posts, read 14,148,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecity View Post
Check out Pomona in the Pearland area. It's technically Manvel (the road along which it's located creates the separation between the two), but it has many of the check boxes you're looking for. It's all new construction and there are several high-end builders to choose from. They have the square footage you're looking for, excellent schools and most are within your price range.

Here's a link: New Homes in Manvel, Homes in Pearland TX, Pomona
Note that this is NOT in Pearland. It is in Alvin ISD for schools and in the city of Manvel. They will probably build a new elementary school, but right now would be zoned to Red Duke Elementary school, not sure which jr. high they would be zoned for (possibly Nolan Ryan jr. high) and then to the new Shadow Creek High School (not sure).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 03:58 PM

920 posts, read 980,395 times
Your budget for your requirements is in the middle area where you likely are priced out of desirable inner city neighborhoods, but large enough that you can pick any suburb. Therefore, I'd stick to the Katy area or Sugar Land. Those two and the Woodlands are a clear notch above the other area suburbs, but the Woodlands would be too far from work.

I'm partial to the older neighborhoods in each so take a look at Green Trails and Kelliwood in Katy and First Colony, New Territory, and maybe Telfair for slightly newer housing stock in Sugar Land. All should have well remodeled homes with your other requirements in your budget. Decent commute and excellent schools K-12 for all of the neighborhoods.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:57 PM

4,185 posts, read 10,303,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
Decent commute
lol

Old 03-16-2017, 07:11 PM
fnh

1,761 posts, read 2,091,161 times
chris_ut has a valid point. Abandon ye any thought of a decent commute from these far-flung suburbs. Richmond???? Lol! If you need a spanking new tract home on a tiny lot barren of trees with a brutal commute, then these suburbs are exactly right for you. If not, there are plenty of closer options.

Life is short. Be well.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:14 PM

168 posts, read 82,330 times
Live in the BAYAREA now, moved here from Houston this summer, where is your house located I may be interested were in the market.

I would stay as close to your job as possible with good schools it also depends on what you want to be close as in entertainment.

Of course in the BAYAREA it's so much to do, Houston has its share but it's a difference with the traffic to get to the core

I can give you good comparisons shoot questions at me

Old 03-16-2017, 09:23 PM

168 posts, read 82,330 times
Please keep in mind the property taxes when moving to Houston, as you know a lot of places in the BAYAREA have taxes of 1% it can be 3-3.5 easy in Houston

you have ALOT of options for a brand new home, you will be amazed coming for the east bay of the quality, however the thing that can be tricky is the commute. I see you commute from east bay to south San Jose.

Don't underestimate this Houston traffic when it hits its traffic everywhere just like the BAYAREA, it's more highways in Houston and larger ones but there is no BART type transportation.

If you get a older home make sure it come with some upgraded energy features, the heat here can run your energy bill up here very high.

That's why a lot of people like to go with the new homes, they're insulated to be VERY efficient

Old 03-16-2017, 10:17 PM

17 posts, read 7,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonview View Post
Please keep in mind the property taxes when moving to Houston, as you know a lot of places in the BAYAREA have taxes of 1% it can be 3-3.5 easy in Houston

you have ALOT of options for a brand new home, you will be amazed coming for the east bay of the quality, however the thing that can be tricky is the commute. I see you commute from east bay to south San Jose.

Don't underestimate this Houston traffic when it hits its traffic everywhere just like the BAYAREA, it's more highways in Houston and larger ones but there is no BART type transportation.

If you get a older home make sure it come with some upgraded energy features, the heat here can run your energy bill up here very high.

That's why a lot of people like to go with the new homes, they're insulated to be VERY efficient
Thanks - I was sort of shocked at first. We pay $8500/yr in bay area but our house is appraised at $705. At least Texas doesn't have a state income tax so it balances out a little bit.

The most aggravating thing about the Bay Area is it is impossible to drive into San Francisco across the Bay Bridge at any time of the day any day of the week. I have sat in traffic to cross the bay bridge for over an hour to go 5 miles on a Tuesday at 11 AM with no accidents. I'm sure its bad - but it can't be that bad

Old 03-17-2017, 09:01 AM

4,185 posts, read 10,303,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingerb View Post
I'm sure its bad - but it can't be that bad
It can get pretty bad. The worst in general I think is 610 loop in front of Galleria area and 290 in general which has a ton of construction. The guy who suggested you commute down 290 to 610 to to Galleria must hate your guts for some reason.

They say a commute over 30 minutes a day is as bad for your health as smoking a pack a day. With your budget you can certainly live near work and not have to suffer through that.

Also on the tax front keep in mind that the lowest taxes are in Houston and the highest in the suburbs. Suburban developments can have almost double the property taxes than City of Houston if they are in a newish MUD so a $400,000 house in the burbs may have a similar monthly payment as a $500,000 house in Houston.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:34 AM
fnh

1,761 posts, read 2,091,161 times
OP, if you use HAR.com in your real estate search, there is a Drive Time feature for each listing. You can enter the destination address and see typical commute lengths at different times of day.

Curious, I looked up drive times for random homes in Cypress, Richmond, Sienna Plantation etc, and the lengthiest commute is from Sienna Plantation. I didn't bother with Pearland which is not going be any faster.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:31 PM

17 posts, read 7,096 times
had a chance to visit Houston last weekend with the wife. Based on that trip we are trying to decide between the Westpark corridor and the 288 corridor.

Westpark is tolled, but has more affordable houses, lower property insurance and lower property taxes. Pearland/Manvel has shorter and free access highways, better shopping, but higher taxes and insurance.

A few of our top neighborhoods:

Richmond
Lakes of Bella Terra
Long Meadow Farms
Aliana
Fieldstone
Grand Lakes/Cinco Ranch

Pearland/Manvel
Shadow Creek Ranch
Southern Trails
Sedona Lakes
Pomona

I'm leaning towards Richmond, particularly Long Meadow Farms for affordability even if it costs me a couple minutes more in commute. I'll be leaving the house at 5:30 AM and leaving the office in the Galleria at 3-3:30 PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston