U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:49 AM

14 posts, read 14,116 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm researching a relocation to the Houston area and this forum has been immensely helpful (thank you!)

I see a new home development in the 77584 zip code names Southern Oaks. Looks to be a Beazer MPC of less than 100 homes. Could anyone tell me if there is a community pool?

If not, could you tell me what trend in the area is for those communities without a pool? Is there an outdoor public pool in the Pearland area? Or an hoa that opens their pool up to non-residents with a fee? I cant imagine not having access to a nice pool in the summer oppression, but perhaps I'm thinking about this all wrong?!?

I have been looking at Silverlake, Shadow Creek Ranch etc, and I see those all have community pools, but the homes are older in the PISD/AISD locations.

TIA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 02:28 PM

As a follow up, I was able to determine that there is NO pool in this community.

So what say the locals regarding subdivisions w/out pools? I just can't imagine that in the Texas summer!

Old 03-20-2017, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 910 times
Have you thought of looking into a country club that has a pool? Might be better/less crowed than a public pool or even community pool. And you usually get some other perks from a country club as well.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:37 PM

97 posts, read 141,170 times
It comes down to preference. If a pool is important to you, you should look to purchase a home in neighborhoods with pools or you can buy a home that has a pool or has room in the yard for you to add a pool. I live in a neighborhood that has a community pool and we almost never use it. My kids have friends with pools in their backyards so that's where they do most of their swimming.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTexRaised View Post
Have you thought of looking into a country club that has a pool? Might be better/less crowed than a public pool or even community pool. And you usually get some other perks from a country club as well.
No, I hadn't, I will look into that. thank you!

Old 03-20-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentrywoods View Post
It comes down to preference. If a pool is important to you, you should look to purchase a home in neighborhoods with pools or you can buy a home that has a pool or has room in the yard for you to add a pool. I live in a neighborhood that has a community pool and we almost never use it. My kids have friends with pools in their backyards so that's where they do most of their swimming.
Sentry woods-what would be an average cost to add a pool? Not really something that is widely done where I am from, so I have no idea. Are we talking $20k, $40k or more? We don't really use the community pool here either, but the water never really gets warm enough for my taste and if it does, its only for a few weeks out of the year.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:19 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,845,138 times
Pearland has an indoor natatorium that was very nice when we used to live there that is pretty affordable for city residents. But we lived there a long time ago so I'm not sure if it's still nice. Can't recall exactly where it is but pretty centrally located within Pearland. You can use it year round.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:36 PM

17,170 posts, read 21,540,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
Pearland has an indoor natatorium that was very nice when we used to live there that is pretty affordable for city residents. But we lived there a long time ago so I'm not sure if it's still nice. Can't recall exactly where it is but pretty centrally located within Pearland. You can use it year round.
I go almost every day for aqua-aerobics (M to F). It is still nice. It's only 10 years old as a building, btw, so you could not have been there that long ago. It has several gyms, pickle ball courts, a walking track, a room with weight machines, etc. and the pool with a zero entry activity pool and a lap pool. They do have frequent swim meets and other things during the school year and it can be quite crowded with kids on school breaks and in the summer.

We have had some issues with things that need fixing. And, the construction right now is awful. They are widening Bailey Road and doing some work on Veteran's Drive as well. Hopefully, that will be done soon.

The address is 4141 Bailey Road. You can get there from Magnolia on Veteran's Drive. I don't drive on Bailey over there because of all the construction, but you can get in from Bailey as well.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:46 AM

97 posts, read 141,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krysib View Post
Sentry woods-what would be an average cost to add a pool? Not really something that is widely done where I am from, so I have no idea. Are we talking $20k, $40k or more? We don't really use the community pool here either, but the water never really gets warm enough for my taste and if it does, its only for a few weeks out of the year.
It's hard for me to quote a price to add a pool but 20K-30K would probably be a good range for most basic pools and then the price would go up from there depending on what extras you want.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:50 AM

480 posts, read 1,621,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krysib View Post
Hi All,

I'm researching a relocation to the Houston area and this forum has been immensely helpful (thank you!)

I see a new home development in the 77584 zip code names Southern Oaks. Looks to be a Beazer MPC of less than 100 homes. Could anyone tell me if there is a community pool?

If not, could you tell me what trend in the area is for those communities without a pool? Is there an outdoor public pool in the Pearland area? Or an hoa that opens their pool up to non-residents with a fee? I cant imagine not having access to a nice pool in the summer oppression, but perhaps I'm thinking about this all wrong?!?

I have been looking at Silverlake, Shadow Creek Ranch etc, and I see those all have community pools, but the homes are older in the PISD/AISD locations.

TIA
You should be aware that this little development (Southern Oaks) shares a border with unincorporated land that is not part of the city of Pearland. As a consequence, anyone living there must be prepared to put up with the following activities from the 'neighbors' living there:

1. Firearm discharges, often late at night.
2. Fireworks
3. Loud noise/music, often late at night.
4. Pets roaming freely (sometimes aggressive dogs).
5. Some criminal activity, mostly property theft.

I share this because I live nearby and for the last 9 years I've monitored these activities coming from that area. I'd advise any buyer to carefully consider if they want to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston