Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2017, 09:55 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,868 times

Advertisements

Ask the mayor.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:44 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Well the city is 70% Hispanic & black...
That might have something to do with it.

I don't know of one neighborhood in the city limits that is 90% white and poor (or even middle class) but there are many 90% black or 90% Hispanic and poor neighborhoods. The white neighborhoods are on the outskirts that no one passing through would see anyway. The city is actually quite segregated and by some measures it is written as the most segregated big city in Texas not only by race but by income as well.

Also blue collar does not mean poor at all. The blue collar towns on the east side are much more solidly middle class than most people realize. Some people with only a high school diploma make more than college graduates in town and in the "better" suburbs but don't want that lifestyle. And in a way I can't blame them at all. Just look at the snobbery in here for example.
What measure shows that because one look at racial dot map proves otherwise.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:49 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,242,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
What measure shows that because one look at racial dot map proves otherwise.
This shows Houston is #2 most segregated while Dallas is #1 in Texas:

Houston is both one of the most diverse and most segregated US cities - Houston Chronicle

This shows black-white dissimilarity indexes, which shows Houston as the most segregated big city in Texas for blacks vs whites & vice versa:

CensusScope -- Segregation: Dissimilarity Indices

Only Beaumont / Port Arthur scores worse in that one but that is not a big city and we already know what kind of place that is.

One look at a racial dot map makes it clear the city limits of Houston have black sections, Hispanic sections, small Asian pockets, and white sections--- that are generally unaffordable. And that unaffordability thing is the point in many of those places... to keep certain people out.

Let's not fool ourselves what's really happening here. We may be the nation's most diverse city but we are also one big salad bowl, not a melting pot. The Alief area (where I grew up) is the only exception really, but absolutely no one here touts it as some even remotely good place to be now do they?

Old 04-15-2017, 01:17 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
90% one ethnicity is a stretch. I could see it being 70 maybe 80 tops but there is enough diversity between all the races in certain parts to make room for the poor white people I was talking about. I dont look down on them at all, just like I don't look down on working class minorities I was just pointing out that I think it's hypocritical of people in here to say that places are ghetto because of the people of color. And I don't get the point of differentiating between blue collar whites and working class minorities. Many also don't make that much. I just knew that guys like detachable arm think a Joe Dirt looking guy as just a hard working guy but a hard working Mexican or black guy is just ghettoing up an area

Old 04-15-2017, 02:12 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,242,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
90% one ethnicity is a stretch.
No it isn't:

91% black zip code

93% Hispanic zip code

How many areas are like this in the city, or even the suburbs with white people?

Black neighborhoods for black people, Hispanic neighborhoods for Hispanic people, and white neighborhoods for everybody!

I suggest you use this site to research even more areas in the city of Houston that are just like those examples, and then get out and explore for yourself, Katyboi.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:29 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
No it isn't:

91% black zip code

93% Hispanic zip code

How many areas are like this in the city, or even the suburbs with white people?

Black neighborhoods for black people, Hispanic neighborhoods for Hispanic people, and white neighborhoods for everybody!

I suggest you use this site to research even more areas in the city of Houston that are just like those examples, and then get out and explore for yourself, Katyboi.
But the point is that you think these areas are ghetto because they're ethnic and I was saying that despite the majority being one race, the presence of more white people wouldnt make it any less "ghetto" because the white people I saw were no less working poor looking. Yet someone like you might think the Joe Dirt looking guy is just a hard working guy while the person of color is adding to the hoodness of the area. And I was getting at more areas in the north of Houston closer to Spring have lots more white people.

I grew up more in the Katy Fulshear area.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:47 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
There are wealthy neighborhoods that are solidly white, generally around River Oaks, the Memorial Villages, etc.

Don't forget black and Hispanic neighborhoods in central Houston are getting white people! But that's because people want to be there!

Nobody wants to be in places like Clinton Park or South Park or Manchester or Settegast which make up many of those 90% black/Hispanic areas.

Where it gets diverse are newly-developed parts of west Houston.

Quote:
No it isn't:

91% black zip code

93% Hispanic zip code

Old 04-15-2017, 03:02 PM

Travor Phillips, I don't believe that everyone in the low class feels that way, or even proportionally more so than the high class.

If anything the high class can certainly get away with "I can do whatever I want, YOU OWE ME" attitude a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorphilips View Post
I've grown up low-middle class, and trust me, the low class have the "I'm entitled, I can do whatever I want, YOU OWE ME" attitude.

People that don't accept that they have to WORK HARD for a better life are trash, just like the trash they throw in the street.

I have NO RESPECT for them.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The closer you get to Spring.
In that case, there are older lower class White people left in far north Harris County (not in the city of Houston but outside the city limits). The school enrollment shows that there are some white kids, but fewer and fewer.

The northern parts of Aldine ISD that are in the Houston city limits are heavily minority now.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:38 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorphilips View Post
I've grown up low-middle class, and trust me, the low class have the "I'm entitled, I can do whatever I want, YOU OWE ME" attitude.

People that don't accept that they have to WORK HARD for a better life are trash, just like the trash they throw in the street.

I have NO RESPECT for them.
You have bought into the myth that hard work is going to bring success. It doesn't always work that way. There is a lot more that goes into having a better life than just hard work. The myth that we can achieve anything we want if we just work hard enough is a myth. The hard work is accepting that everyone and everything has limitations. And finding ways to accept that limitations are just part of being human – not signs of failure. Also, discrimination does play into this. We have found that if you take the same resume and send it to apply for a job with a black sounding name and a white sounding name, the white sounding one is much more likely to get interviews and call backs. For women musicians, it has been demonstrated that if the audition is conducted having a candidate behind a screen, the women are much more likely to get the position than they are when the judges know they are women. Education also plays a part in this. A good education is invaluable. It doesn't have to be college, it can be an education for a trade, but you have to get good training.

https://www.allbusiness.com/news-fla...5451965-1.html

Quote:
You also need to learn how to work smarter, how to prepare your money to work for you, and how to network and make connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston