U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 10:52 AM

292 posts, read 140,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Ok there is the "whole" quote. ^^^^^ The statement in question, is a single sentence paragraph that has no other context. So would you now answer the question, how could you make such a ridicules statement ? Do you really believe The Woodlands is larger than Nashville ?

Someone may be giving themselves away.....
I do not drink, Jack nor do I use any other recreational drug. Actually I do not need to use any pharmaceuticals

Just so we get that one straight...that is a brag, not a biotch.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:08 AM

292 posts, read 140,028 times
Since we have been accused of digressing from the original intent of this thread and the OP's query let's get back on track and correct the record completely

OP asked why Houston is so Ghetto?

The term ghetto has not been correctly used here, nor defined

Per Merriam-Webster dictionary

Definition of Ghetto. www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ghetto

1 :a quarter of the city in which Jews were formerly required to live.

2 :a quarter of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of legal, social or economic pressure.

3 a: an isolated group. a geriatric Ghetto.
b: a situation that resembles a Ghetto, especially in conferring inferior status or limiting opportunity.
The Pink Collar Ghetto

That is why in my first posting to this thread, I commented on Houston being a dirty city not trashy, or ghetto. Although there are areas in Houston that do qualify based on the above definition.

Those areas are in most large cities and metropolitan environs.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:15 AM

5,439 posts, read 5,264,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celiene61 View Post
I do not drink, Jack nor do I use any other recreational drug. Actually I do not need to use any pharmaceuticals

Just so we get that one straight...that is a brag, not a biotch.
Celiene, why are you dodging the question. Do you really think that The Woodlands is "larger" than Nashville ?

Old 02-06-2018, 05:33 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,403,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celiene61 View Post
Texyn, when you counter my statements, or anyone else's that you find erroneous perhaps you should back your opinions with fact. AND, make sure you copy AND post whichever opinion or comment that troubles you.
No need to tell me that which I do all the time.

Quote:
Pot, Kettle, Black? You often are not open to other posters countering your opinions, so do not go lecturing others.
Guess again. I allow others to argue their points on why they disagree with me, then I counterback if I feel the point isn't sound.

Quote:
We have personally engaged before regarding topics such as "Houston Weather and Air Quality " and the direction of "High Density housing in Houston" on prior threads.....you even went as far as suggesting that I agreed with you on all issues, even when I politely and succinctly stated otherwise in those threads.
That was just in the "High Density" thread, and it was because the concerns that you brought up in effort to counter me were the exact same issues that I called for to be solved in the first place (i.e. poor planning, shoddy developers, etc).

Quote:
Then you proceeded to move the conversation over to my PM, were you repeatedly sent messages stating that I actually agree with you on all your postings....

I finally ignored your last message as I felt that you might have had some sort of personal issues, stalking me via PM to continue your self righteous agenda.
No, you PMed me first.

Quote:
RE: Going off "Topic" on this or any thread? Just. Really?

The threads often go off tangent here on the Houston subsection of City Data, and one tends to follow the prevailing conversation as the thread goes along.
Your first post in this thread was a straight response to the OP's question, but already had that off tangent spiral.

Quote:
BTW, you have been guilty of such quite often
Nope, wrong again (as usual from you).

Old 02-07-2018, 05:27 AM

89 posts, read 62,022 times
I’m originally from Florida with stops in Tennessee and Louisiana before having made Houston my home. I would never intentionally try to put Houston down because at the end of the day it’s a great city that’s affordable and has a wide array of decent paying jobs.

That said, I’ve lived in Orlando, Tampa, Nashville, and Houston. I’ve had the opportunity to visit San Antonio, Dallas, and Austin during my time in Texas, but I can honestly say that Houston has been the dirtiest, worst planned, and most crime-ridden city I’ve ever lived in. I started out in Spring around Cypress Station and it was horrible. I moved out to Conroe for awhile but met a woman that I’d end up marrying and since she had a long lease and mine was up, I ended up moving in with her in East Houston near Galena Park and it’s terrible.

It became so terrible with nightly shootouts in our neighborhood that we abruptly left and moved to Florida (ironically right before Hurricane Harvey.) After about 7 months in Orlando we returned to our place in East Houston to find that the neighborhood has gotten even worse. Now it’s non-ending sirens, shootings, and police helicopters circling the sky.

We figured we’d give it another try (my wife is a Houston native and her family lives here) but rents in decent neighborhoods have skyrocketed so we’re looking to move permanently now.

We recently had a neighborhood watch meeting where a man brought up the topic of people shooting fireworks at all hours of the night and how people should have respect for those who work and for those that have children that go to school. Several people commented that if he didn’t like it, he shouldn’t have moved to the city.

What makes Houston ghetto? People make Houston ghetto.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:47 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,403,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBeachBum View Post
That said, I’ve lived in Orlando, Tampa, Nashville, and Houston. I’ve had the opportunity to visit San Antonio, Dallas, and Austin during my time in Texas, but I can honestly say that Houston has been the dirtiest, worst planned, and most crime-ridden city I’ve ever lived in. I started out in Spring around Cypress Station and it was horrible. I moved out to Conroe for awhile but met a woman that I’d end up marrying and since she had a long lease and mine was up, I ended up moving in with her in East Houston near Galena Park and it’s terrible.
You didn't live in Houston.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:09 AM

12,674 posts, read 8,947,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
You didn't live in Houston.
And there's the rub.

Population

CoH 2,180,000

others 490000

County 2,030,000

If one is not inside the loop, folks in the city are not aware of your existence. Unless you are in The Woodlands or Ft Bend county.

They forget that we are all inside the ETJ of Houston and cannot do jack without permission from the CoH.

My question has always been where would those cheerleaders for the city put all of us should we decided to move ITL?

Old 02-07-2018, 09:01 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,340,222 times
More trees. I've always tried to place my finger on what exactly made Houston so hard on the eyes, and I really do think it is the gross ratio of concrete to greenery in many parts. There's such a lack of uniformity across the area, with some neighborhoods being incredibly leafy while others seem barren by comparison. All those setbacks may just be future roadways in waiting, but can't they be a temporary home for some plant life in the mean time?

Old 02-07-2018, 09:05 AM

324 posts, read 309,172 times
I don’t think Houston is a badly planned city at all. It has a very efficient road system.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:50 AM

577 posts, read 378,315 times
I visited Houston for the first time a few weeks ago from Tampa, FL for work. I stayed at the Aloft downtown. I walked out at night and right away asked for money from a homeless guy. No big deal, Florida has that too. Found a cool bars after work.

I have to say the downtown is impressive when it comes to food options and nice skyscrapers. I hung out in Midtown and the heights. It has its nice areas, but Houston is not impressive to wrap it up. I would not call it ghetto in comparison to other big cities. It just has that feel, I would only come here for work. I guess coming from tourist world, I am being a little biased.

But its an overstretch calling it so ghetto. But if you get annoyed by the many homeless people and some of the neighborhoods looking less than grand, maybe yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or