Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 11:57 AM

126 posts, read 193,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Another resident, Miriam Sam, said a new fast food restaurant would not be a good fit for an "affluent and educated community."

"Our residents are not going to work at Chick-fil-A," Sam said.

Whats next blaming your weed-smoking teenager to fast food restaurants...
Most people around that area don't want the change because their house values will go down.
The rest of Friendswood would love a CFA in the area.
Around the corner from that location there are empty business offices, so the change would be beneficial for developers/city revenue.
Panera and CFA have not committed to the site, they have only shown interest so at the end they may pull out and BK may move in..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 04:00 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locotl View Post

Whats next blaming your weed-smoking teenager to fast food restaurants...
Most people around that area don't want the change because their house values will go down.
The rest of Friendswood would love a CFA in the area.
Around the corner from that location there are empty business offices, so the change would be beneficial for developers/city revenue.
Panera and CFA have not committed to the site, they have only shown interest so at the end they may pull out and BK may move in..
I hope they do pull out and instead a Cash Advance store opens up there.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:30 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
So Miriam Sam is implying there are no teenagers in Friendswood? Because the Chick-Fil-As I frequent (Bella Terra, Greatwood, Rosenberg, Cinco Ranch) seem to be staffed largely by high school-aged individuals.
I have to agree. Guess who are the customers at the Cinco Ranch Chick-Fil-A? Affluent and educated nearby residents. That's pretty much their customer base nationwide.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:59 PM

403 posts, read 462,348 times
There is already development nearby and the residential neighborhood already has a sound wall. Put some trees in between the development and the road and maybe a sidewalk and we should be alright. The many who live in the area that want an extra place to eat nearby probably outnumber the residents in the nearby residential neighborhood. Growth is necessary, you don't like it you move further out, you don't make others suffer because of your selfishness.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:00 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I hope they do pull out and instead a Cash Advance store opens up there.
Lol. Cash advance or cash store would be so funny. Out of all the fast food places chick fil A is the best and most desirable to have close by. At least Sundays will be slow.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:00 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
Or you don't move there if you are looking a Pearland type growth. Kind of like moving next to a railroad track and expecting the train to stop running. You know what you are getting when you move to friendswood. Friendswood is a sleepy town with amenities all around it. It probably makes the list of great places to live because of schools first and then second the small town environment. They've never been big on chains there. As far as their kids not working there -- maybe, maybe not. That might depend on families income brackets. So many parents now don't dare want their little darlings having to work while going to high school. Apparently parents claim kids cant take the stress of working 12-20 hours per week while studying and from comments I frequently read -- their kids won't grow up to work in those professions so working in high school At low wage jobs doesn't prepare them for anything. Kind of makes sense that they'd say that their residents wouldn't work there.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:39 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,241,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Or you don't move there if you are looking a Pearland type growth. Kind of like moving next to a railroad track and expecting the train to stop running. You know what you are getting when you move to friendswood. Friendswood is a sleepy town with amenities all around it. It probably makes the list of great places to live because of schools first and then second the small town environment. They've never been big on chains there. As far as their kids not working there -- maybe, maybe not. That might depend on families income brackets. So many parents now don't dare want their little darlings having to work while going to high school. Apparently parents claim kids cant take the stress of working 12-20 hours per week while studying and from comments I frequently read -- their kids won't grow up to work in those professions so working in high school At low wage jobs doesn't prepare them for anything. Kind of makes sense that they'd say that their residents wouldn't work there.
It prepares them for the real world by being forced to interact and work with people from a more economically diverse range of people. A lack of that makes for kids who will be socially awkward outside of a soulless corporate environment. Which is exactly how their parents are now, go figure. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

BTW I was in Friendswood Saturday to make a Craigslist purchase and run a couple of errands while I was there. It is a quaint area that still seems like a small town with a lot of lazy traffic. Some of it left me wondering if there is some kind of skinhead element there. Again it is nice but not nearly as nice as some folks seem to think. Chik Fil A would make a killing there.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:04 PM

403 posts, read 462,348 times
In The Woodlands our next door neighbors posted a Facebook post they thought we wouldn't see when we had family visiting with an RV. They took a picture of the RV and said that "The family from Christmas Vacation is visiting next door".

Old 04-19-2017, 06:19 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casor-Greener View Post
I agree with you 100%. A co-worker of mine told me it would be the perfect place to live since we were house hunting. I drove around and told her although it was nice, not a place I envision living or that imagine would be welcoming to me. A month later this article pops up and these particular residents fit the stereotype I was expecting.

"Our residents wouldn't work here"; "we don't want this becoming east Pealrand" - that's clearly code speak for something far more sinister
Nothing sinister. Pearland friendswood has always been a rivalry. I grew up in Pearland and that has always existed. The only thing sinister is an affluence snobbiness which isn't that big a deal and easy to ignore.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:39 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,241,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casor-Greener View Post
You may be right. To me that is clearly code speak for: minorities work in fast food and we don't want minorities here.
Eh... "Miriam" is not a white lady's name. And doing a tiny bit of google searching on that name from the article confirms it. And doing a bit more google searching on addresses and street views confirms the people who think this area is "affluent" are completely, positively, 100% delusional.

If you want to construe it another way, it could be that whenever there is a Chik Fil A, there is a line of brothas out the door. And since there aren't any brothas in Friendswood, a Chik Fil A would effectively turn it into an east Pearland. Or better yet, north Alvin.

Actually what it is, is a Chik Fil A is going to land square in someone's backyard that was already a busy street, and someone went to the media to make a big jackass out of themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston