Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:50 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
The mall concept, with very few exceptions, seems to be on the way out. Ultimately Sharpstown will probably go the way of Gulfgate, Northline and Meyerland and be turned into more of a standard center.
It was hot outside today and very bright. I wouldn't go shopping at Premium Outlets or La Centerra today. My shirt would be soaked if not for the air-conditioning at the Galleria today. Lifestyle centers may work in other places but definitely not in Houston. (Why the tacky recreation of a town center? La Centerra's developers could've revitalized Katy-town--unless the city council doesn't want to change the town's image into a yuppy-ville. Wouldn't be surprised!).

BTW Meyerland, Gulfgate, and Northline aren't the places to be anyway. Meyerland seems to be sliding back to dilapidation.

Quote:
As for the Galleria, it doesn't seem as pretentious as it once was. It is now sporting a pay less shoes, and the Galleria III, that lone orphan section on the far side of Sak's 5th Ave, looks like a slice of a dying mall. I think they over expanded it.
The old Lord & Taylor wing is right for a Bloomingdale's (or their SoHo concept with a full-line store somewhere else in the city). About Galleria III, the old Macy's needs to be closed and the whole thing torn down for an extension of Galleria II and a new Saks store on the former Macy's site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 06:17 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
My favorite part of the Galleria now is Galleria III. I never go to the main part and all of my favorite stores are in the new or just over into Galleria II. Parking is never a problem next to Nordstroms.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:53 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Interesting article in the times about Malls:

Rethinking the Mall - Allison Arieff Blog - NYTimes.com

Old 06-02-2009, 03:41 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
Something that nobody's mentioned is that while there is indeed a very ghetto'ized, low-income group in the more delapidated apartments near the mall, there are also a lot of middle and upper-middle Asians in the house communities - including the relatively upscale Terrace and Estates subdivisions (4-5 bedroom, over 3000 sq ft) - as well as professional whites, blacks and hispanics.

Everybody says that air-conned malls are dead, but only falling apart crappy malls that only sell grills are dead. Houston's tropical, humid weather is best delt in a mall, not walking and driving all over the place in the heat to individual box stores. Also, I for one, enjoy walking the airconditioned concourses running into neighbors and coworkers for a chat .

Why not re-invent the mall for the best element of the surrounding population in the manner of the very nice, even exciting indoor shopping malls of Hong Kong, Singapore, and Kuala Lumpur. Not only a nice range of discount to luxury stores but they make them a neighborhood "happening" with karaoke bars, beauty pageants in the main open area, bingo, table-tennis clubs, etc. Now one thing they do there that might not meet with the politically-correctness police but would sure straighten out Sharpstown, is having uniformed para-military guards armed not only with nightsticks or a walky-talky but with military-issue rifles. A much smaller scale version just down Bellaire Blvd in Alief seems to be doing quite well in the Hong Kong Market Plaza, with it's giant supermarket with food court and local shops in an indoor area in front.

I think the bare-bones structure might still do. Given that the money probably just isn't there for a complete demolition and new construction why don't we support this $20 MM TIRF mentioned in the article? Certainly can't make the place any worse and sounds like it could make the mall and soon the whole surrounding area a lot better, or at least a lot more fun (if done as I describe).

Old 06-02-2009, 04:02 PM

84 posts, read 205,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

Meyerland seems to be sliding back to dilapidation.
In the words of Ludacris, "who's yo weed man and how you smoke so good?"

Old 06-02-2009, 06:47 PM

958 posts, read 2,574,120 times
Quote:
I think the bare-bones structure might still do. Given that the money probably just isn't there for a complete demolition and new construction why don't we support this $20 MM TIRF mentioned in the article? Certainly can't make the place any worse and sounds like it could make the mall and soon the whole surrounding area a lot better, or at least a lot more fun (if done as I describe).
If a private development cannot survive on its own it should not exist, it should not depend on public money to stay alive. It only delays the inevitable.

Have we learned nothing from the GM and Chrysler fiascoes?! Geesh

And this is coming from a Professional Asian family living in the 77036 area shouting distance from sharps town.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:03 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
Everybody says that air-conned malls are dead, but only falling apart crappy malls that only sell grills are dead.
Malls are pretty much dead or dying everywhere..

Here in Nashville, We've had two malls die (Harding Mall, 100 Oaks Mall) We have two that are dying (Rivergate Mall, Hickory Hollow Mall), and only three that are surviving (Opry Mills Mall, Green Hills Mall, and Cool Spring Galleria) The first is in a huge tourist area and the other two are in two of the most wealthy neighborhoods in Tennessee.

With the large stores like JC Penny, Macy's, ect, ect moving out of these malls it's just a matter of time before they die and honestly, Only the people with money to burn would shop at those stores and buy $100 jeans when they could get them at Ross or TJ Maxx for $30.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:24 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
With the large stores like JC Penny, Macy's, ect, ect moving out of these malls it's just a matter of time before they die and honestly, Only the people with money to burn would shop at those stores and buy $100 jeans when they could get them at Ross or TJ Maxx for $30.
Huh? I got $30 jeans at Macy's. Ross and TJ Maxx are too expensive compared to Macy's sales. I guess you don't know how to shop! Macy's is the same price and a much better environment to shop in.

Lifestyle centers won't work in Houston weather, so shopping malls are here to stay.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:49 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Huh? I got $30 jeans at Macy's. Ross and TJ Maxx are too expensive compared to Macy's sales. I guess you don't know how to shop! Macy's is the same price and a much better environment to shop in.

Lifestyle centers won't work in Houston weather, so shopping malls are here to stay.
I doubt it. Lifestyle centers will and are working here in Houston. It isn't exactly breezy and comfy weather in Miami, but look at all the people out there walking.

Lifestyle centers are forming all around TX and you'll be hard-pressed to find any enclosed malls being built lately.

There are ways to prevent heavy sweating and fainting.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:20 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
Default Lee Iaccoca

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
If a private development cannot survive on its own it should not exist, it should not depend on public money to stay alive. It only delays the inevitable.

Have we learned nothing from the GM and Chrysler fiascoes?! Geesh

And this is coming from a Professional Asian family living in the 77036 area shouting distance from sharps town.
What are you talking about?! Chrysler's bail out in the late 70's gave Lee Iaccoca a chance to get them back into profitability and another 30 years of existence. Both GM and Chrysler will survive in 2009 with a little help to shed the onerous legacy pension and medical charges and some goverment help. I will admit that sometimes I wonder if they'd do even better if they just shut down and turned their better factories over to Toyota.

I'm curious, Asian Couple in 77036, were you born in the US or in Asia? I'm wondering what your opinion of making Sharpstown into a more freewheeling Asian kind of mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston