Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:20 AM

5 posts, read 6,238 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I bought a vacant lot in Kingwood (Bear Branch) in October. Some background: the lot is in an established neighborhood. There are houses built in the 1970s/80s on all sides -- the house that used be on our lot burned down, the house was razed, the lot was cleared, and then we bought the lot.

The previous owner moved away and didn't bother cutting the grass or trimming the shrubs and trees. When we bought the lot, we cleaned up a lot of brush and garbage. I've had a lawn guy coming by every three weeks to cut the grass (of which there isn't all that much in the first place).

I've been getting warning after warning from the HOA telling me I need to "maintain the lot". All the deed restrictions say is that the property should be kept in a "healthful, sanitary, and attractive condition" and that the "owner ... shall keep all weeds and grass ... cut". That's pretty vague language. I went by to check on the property on April 16 and thought the grass was under control. I just got another letter, dated April 18, saying I needed to "maintain the lot".

Kingwood folks: is this part of the course for the HOA? This is a vacant lot. It's not overgrown. It's not unsafe. I'm preparing to spend a ton of money to build a house. If they're upset about my vacant lot not having a perfectly manicured lawn, I can imagine they're going to blow their top when construction starts in earnest. In all honesty, they're scaring me off, and I feel like maybe I need to sell this lot and spend my money somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 08:41 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,092 times
It's best to cut your grass every 2 weeks in Houston.

If you wait 3 weeks it starts to look bad especially if it's not being treated for weeds.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:44 AM

I totally get that. What blows my mind is that it actually had been two weeks since the last mowing when the deed restriction folks came by.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:44 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
Have you tried contacting the compliance people at the HOA? It's a lot easier to maintain standards if you actually know what they are directly from the people enforcing them.

Of course it's probably easier to pout and threaten to take your ball and go home than have a real interaction with people.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:49 AM

Mikey - way to make assumptions. I've already been in contact with them by phone and email, to no avail. We also went around and knocked on our neighbors' doors to introduce ourselves. We're planning to build a house, move here, and send our kid to the neighborhood elementary, so I'm not looking to start anything.

I pointed out to the HOA that their standards were vague and all I got back was "you'll just have to mow a bit more often".

I have an HOA in my current neighborhood and haven't had any trouble whatsoever. My only question is whether this particular HOA is known for being a particular PITA.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:54 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,991,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
It's best to cut your grass every 2 weeks in Houston.

If you wait 3 weeks it starts to look bad especially if it's not being treated for weeds.
We move ours weekly in the spring summer early fall fast growth months.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:23 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,731,452 times
It's probably a neighbor who they are trying to placate. Just now weekly until you build the house.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:40 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dries View Post
Mikey - way to make assumptions. I've already been in contact with them by phone and email, to no avail. We also went around and knocked on our neighbors' doors to introduce ourselves. We're planning to build a house, move here, and send our kid to the neighborhood elementary, so I'm not looking to start anything.

I pointed out to the HOA that their standards were vague and all I got back was "you'll just have to mow a bit more often".

I have an HOA in my current neighborhood and haven't had any trouble whatsoever. My only question is whether this particular HOA is known for being a particular PITA.
Apologies for the assumptions, I was just going on the information presented.

The next logical answer is that unless they're threatening actual fines, you're pretty safe. There's a neat rule, in that you generally have 10 days to remedy whatever the issue is before an HOA can issue a violation notice and fine. So if you're getting the grass done every two weeks, it's pretty much impossible for them to actually find you in violation. You're just moving from complaint to complaint. The next thing is, most HOA's usually won't do anything unless people complain. If they're having a spring blitz or something to clear up issues from over the winter, that's one thing, but usually it's one of the residents complaining that prompts the action. My guess is you're about to have that one ****ty neighbor.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:09 PM

447 posts, read 487,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dries View Post
Hi all,

My wife and I bought a vacant lot in Kingwood (Bear Branch) in October. Some background: the lot is in an established neighborhood. There are houses built in the 1970s/80s on all sides -- the house that used be on our lot burned down, the house was razed, the lot was cleared, and then we bought the lot.

The previous owner moved away and didn't bother cutting the grass or trimming the shrubs and trees. When we bought the lot, we cleaned up a lot of brush and garbage. I've had a lawn guy coming by every three weeks to cut the grass (of which there isn't all that much in the first place).

I've been getting warning after warning from the HOA telling me I need to "maintain the lot". All the deed restrictions say is that the property should be kept in a "healthful, sanitary, and attractive condition" and that the "owner ... shall keep all weeds and grass ... cut". That's pretty vague language. I went by to check on the property on April 16 and thought the grass was under control. I just got another letter, dated April 18, saying I needed to "maintain the lot".

Kingwood folks: is this part of the course for the HOA? This is a vacant lot. It's not overgrown. It's not unsafe. I'm preparing to spend a ton of money to build a house. If they're upset about my vacant lot not having a perfectly manicured lawn, I can imagine they're going to blow their top when construction starts in earnest. In all honesty, they're scaring me off, and I feel like maybe I need to sell this lot and spend my money somewhere else.
Same thing is happening to me in TW, I guess HOA loves to harass people everywhere:-) I have empty lot, cutting grass every 2 weeks, letter after letter. I told them about side from my property that it's not mine, but my neighbors, etc. Talked to them so many times, had to bring my survey into it. We'll see, I decided to remove myself and family out of TW. No privacy anymore.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:13 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,451,198 times
Is this actually the HOA corporation or is it perhaps an HOA management company (claiming to be acting on behalf of the HOA)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: