U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:00 PM

602 posts, read 1,011,436 times
When I waqs looking for a home, I considered a gated community. I was surprised to find out the streets behind the gate belongs to the subdivision. Therefore, any and all road repair is the responsibility of the subdivision = higher HOA fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 06:12 PM

655 posts, read 651,466 times
Just have a good fence and a 12 gauge. And cameras of course.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:14 PM

6,251 posts, read 8,776,841 times
Like my Dad says - it will protect you some - it just won't protect you from the home-grown thieves meaning those who live behind the gates with you or those behind the gates who have bored kids who want to vandalize or break into cars for crimes of opportunity.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:32 PM

15,832 posts, read 18,414,882 times
It kind of makes the neighborhood more of a target; I prefer not to live in a gated community because of the feel of being trapped and secluded. I like being mixed in with everyone else.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:50 PM

1,918 posts, read 2,197,829 times
My best friend lives in a golf course gated community in Hackberry Creek, Las Colinas/Irving and for 20 years of visiting them I still get ID at the main entrance gate by their security. If you're not registered in their system as permanent guest or visitor they won't let you in until you're confirmed by the person you're visiting. 100% safe and no incidents in 20 years. Does it cost more, heck yeah, so much more but is worth every penny

Old 01-10-2012, 10:30 AM

987 posts, read 906,105 times
What's so great about a "gated community"? And is that supposed to be the new American ideal; living behind a gate in an exclusive little world, afraid of the big bad world outside? It's like a country club the size of a neighborhood.

Might as well live in a cocoon underground...

Old 01-10-2012, 11:02 AM

636 posts, read 593,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
What's so great about a "gated community"? And is that supposed to be the new American ideal; living behind a gate in an exclusive little world, afraid of the big bad world outside? It's like a country club the size of a neighborhood.

Well said!

Old 01-10-2012, 11:06 AM

318 posts, read 269,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post

Well it certainly appeals to me. All my "living" doesn't come from the house in which I reside, so your point is moot.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:26 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,364,318 times
We've always chosen to avoid them, but have lived near many and have several friends that live in them. Unless it's a manned gate, it's pretty simple to get into many of them. I've seen people "piggyback" through gates more than once. We lived near one in Houston where a couple of the Rockets lived. On more than one occasion, my teenaged sons would drive through just to check it out. If 2 curious teens can get through then I'm sure someone intent on doing harm could easily do so. Also, I've seen plenty of them that leave the gates open during morning and evening commute times. So how is that safe? Anyone can drive through. I was in one just yesterday where the owners have the ability to unlock the gates to the open position if they are having some kind of event at their home. After a couple of hours, my hostess slipped out and walked down her street to close the gates so as she put it, "the neighbors don't get angry".

Old 01-10-2012, 04:14 PM

6,251 posts, read 8,776,841 times
I looked at gated but here is my issue - the majority leave the gates open all day and close them at night. If I buy gated, I want them closed 24/7 - I'm not paying for an open gate during the day -- what good does that do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston