Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 10:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,030 times

Advertisements

Looking to migrate from Baltimore, MD with our 3 kids who are very involved in gymnastics, soccer, ballet, karate and swimming. We are looking to spend a max budget of $500K and would love to have a private pool. I would ideally like to be within ten to fifteen minutes from a shopping center of major recreational amenities for the entire family.

We were very impressed with the Lamar ISD and want to see if there were other areas that are just as competitive as Fort Bend County? Would Woodlands, Katy and Sugarland be compatible with the Richmond area?

All suggestions and feedback will be greatly appreciated. The move is scheduled to take in the Summer so we sre planning to fly out to the area in June to scope out the place so your input is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 04:27 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,545,038 times
Where will the job be?

You don't want to be driving across town every day.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:56 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,653,644 times
I agree with Pedro. You need to live somewhere based on commute to work. Traffic can be bad. That said, I am from Baltimore County. My family lives in Sugar Land. We prefer it to Richmond and the other places you listed. It has everything we were looking for in terms of amenities, great schools for our kids (ages 7-13), and we are close enough to Houston. Plus a not bad commute for my husband. We are very happy here.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:08 AM

691 posts, read 829,096 times
Richmond and Sugar Land boarder each other, as do Katy and Richmond, so there isn't too much of a difference geographically. Richmond is a little further (10 to 15 mins) from either Katy or Sugar Land to "the city" of Houston, where many people work. Most of Sugar Land is in Fort Bend School district, Most of Richmond is in LAMAR School District. Katy has its own School district.

Katy and Sugar Land tend to have high home prices than Richmond.

As others have said, it really comes down to your commute. You cant commute easily from Katy, The Woodlands, Sugar Land and Richmond all to the same workplace.....

Start with where you will be working, then look for a reasonable commute, knowing that traffic will be worse than you think it will be.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,030 times
Default Migrating to Texas

Hi everyone!

Thank you very much for the thorough information you provided. I will be working in City West Boulevard in Houston. I have heard that the traffic in Houston is horrendous and I am gearing up for it✈. I have been doing some reading and it appears as though the Fort Bend County ISD is given high kudos in comparison to the other districts. Is this the case based on others experience? I will have the realtor check on houses in the Sugar land and katy areas to get some good leads on homes. I like the fact that sugar land has an abundance of amenities and activities for a young family.

Is there anything that I have not covered which I need to be cognizant about? No response will be ignored as this is a huge undertaking and I appreciate the added guidance and perspectives.

For the Swopoe family from Baltimore, how did the kids adjust to their new area?

May you all have a great rest of the week.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:42 AM

45,400 posts, read 26,992,566 times
If you are in Ft. Bend or Katy - you won't have to deal with the worst of the traffic if you are going to the CityWest area.

Being from DC/MD/VA, it is much more spread out here. There is no zoning laws here, so businesses are everywhere - definitely a different look and feel from east coast cities.

I always push the city of Meadows Place as an option that people overlook. It's a very tiny city between Sugar Land/Stafford and Houston - most home are older, but it is a tight knit community with a snoopy police force. My kids went to elementary school there and played in the youth baseball league. Some on here will poo-poo Meadows because it borders Houston - but it was a good, cost-effective experience for us.

Here is a post from one who just visited the area for the first time. That may help as well.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 06-07-2017 at 06:53 AM..

Old 06-07-2017, 08:28 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,653,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter77 View Post
Hi everyone!

Thank you very much for the thorough information you provided. I will be working in City West Boulevard in Houston. I have heard that the traffic in Houston is horrendous and I am gearing up for it✈. I have been doing some reading and it appears as though the Fort Bend County ISD is given high kudos in comparison to the other districts. Is this the case based on others experience? I will have the realtor check on houses in the Sugar land and katy areas to get some good leads on homes. I like the fact that sugar land has an abundance of amenities and activities for a young family.

Is there anything that I have not covered which I need to be cognizant about? No response will be ignored as this is a huge undertaking and I appreciate the added guidance and perspectives.

For the Swopoe family from Baltimore, how did the kids adjust to their new area?

May you all have a great rest of the week.
My kids were born here. But I am from Baltimore. Honestly, I prefer here to Baltimore.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:43 AM

2,541 posts, read 4,035,909 times
Sugar Land is my favorite suburb; they seem to have the best restaurants, retails, youth sports, schools, etc. without being very far from Houston.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:09 AM

45,400 posts, read 26,992,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
My kids were born here. But I am from Baltimore. Honestly, I prefer here to Baltimore.
Ditto for me - except my time was in SE DC, Hampton Roads, VA.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:39 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,921,230 times
One thing people have a hard time understanding is the sheer sprawl of Houston. There are numerous employment centers in the metro area. Driving across town here is akin to driving several towns over in most other places. If you value your mental health, it's imperative to house hunt around your employment location.

When we go to visit my wife's family, it's about an 18 hour drive. Five of those hours are spent driving in TX, and another 1.5 to 2 hours are spent just getting out of the Houston metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston