Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 03:57 PM

360 posts, read 665,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I am going to use this opportunity to shift the OPs strange topic to something that I've noticed about Houstonians that you brought up in this post. I've noticed that Houstonians HATE a braggart, guys who want to show off and such. I've always liked that about Houston but at the same time I think it can also be done to a fault.

I think Houstonians can also be a bit of a hater-ish bunch. They have this "you think you're better than me? you're not better than me" attitude, even if the person is better than them in every which way. If someone has a lot of confidence and couples it with success, I notice they get uncomfortable and have this desire to bring them down a peg. They can't just let it go that someone has them beat at life. I don't understand this insistence to try and "humble" people.
I can only attest to my own personal experience. I am not rich in any way, shape, or form. However, growing up in Houston, you meet A LOT of rich and wealthy people. Status and high bank accounts are fairly common, and even those in some of the poorest areas will know or rub shoulders with some of the richest. Yes, that happens here. I have example after example, but I won't type all of that. All I will say is I believe it's so common that people don't revere it as much here. It seems like an asinine thing for us to do because wealth is SO common. Plus, Houstonians of all backgrounds tend to be very down-to-earth here. If you want to "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" and do "more" with your life, you can and no one will bat an eye. The same can be said for those that choose not to. We're a huge city that lives and let lives.

If I had to take a shot in the dark, I would attribute it to Houston's layout. The city is not segregated like other large cities. Many of the wealthy areas back up to not-so-desirable areas. At some point, "highs" and "lows" will mingle, get coffee together, go to school together, bump into one another. It's just the way it is.

I will say this about your comment (below), no one with half a brain should walk around thinking others are better than them. What are you attributing that too? Money? Education? What? What makes one person happy, or successful, may not equate to success or happiness to someone else. Why should ANYONE walk around with their head down thinking someone is better than them? That's pure ignorance. I'm not sure why you consider this the "better" way to be, but I wouldn't want to live like that or think of myself in that manner, and I'm happy that most Houstonians choose to have more confidence and promote humility.

"They have this "you think you're better than me? you're not better than me" attitude, even if the person is better than them in every which way."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 04:03 PM

218 posts, read 220,768 times
Quote:
I was talking more about someone like an Elon Musk, some Texans will still try to humble him. And I do think a heart surgeon saving lives and making half a million a year is more successful than a teacher. It doesn't make the former a better person per se but better at life, sure. I just don't get why Texans in general won't let a guy enjoy his success? There is this defensive attitude about it. You don't need to humble people.
Um, without a teacher he wouldn't be where he is. No man is an island.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:39 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post
I can only attest to my own personal experience. I am not rich in any way, shape, or form. However, growing up in Houston, you meet A LOT of rich and wealthy people. Status and high bank accounts are fairly common, and even those in some of the poorest areas will know or rub shoulders with some of the richest. Yes, that happens here. I have example after example, but I won't type all of that. All I will say is I believe it's so common that people don't revere it as much here. It seems like an asinine thing for us to do because wealth is SO common. Plus, Houstonians of all backgrounds tend to be very down-to-earth here. If you want to "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" and do "more" with your life, you can and no one will bat an eye. The same can be said for those that choose not to. We're a huge city that lives and let lives.

If I had to take a shot in the dark, I would attribute it to Houston's layout. The city is not segregated like other large cities. Many of the wealthy areas back up to not-so-desirable areas. At some point, "highs" and "lows" will mingle, get coffee together, go to school together, bump into one another. It's just the way it is.

I will say this about your comment (below), no one with half a brain should walk around thinking others are better than them. What are you attributing that too? Money? Education? What? What makes one person happy, or successful, may not equate to success or happiness to someone else. Why should ANYONE walk around with their head down thinking someone is better than them? That's pure ignorance. I'm not sure why you consider this the "better" way to be, but I wouldn't want to live like that or think of myself in that manner, and I'm happy that most Houstonians choose to have more confidence and promote humility.

"They have this "you think you're better than me? you're not better than me" attitude, even if the person is better than them in every which way."
I totally get what you're saying but I think a lot of Houstonians live next to upper middle class 100k millionaires that own big homes and land in nearby exurbs. I lived exactly the experience you described and thought these people were rich. But I'm talking multi multi millionaire and billionaires. Real wealth like you'd see out on display in LA or NYC. That level of time and commitment to master your work and have it pay off immensely like that takes dedication and a level of intelligence that isn't common. It doesn't make that person better in the sense that their life is worth more but that I tip my hat to them in a way I wouldn't just for any regular joe.

I think the attitude you described comes from a blue collar pride in Houston and Texas in general too. A lot of guys think that because they can tinker with cars, hunt, fish and whatnot that it puts them on a different level than a yuppie who can't change an air filter. I also chock it up to insecurity. I've seen it where a guy doesn't even have to boast they'll just try to humble and tear him down to make sure he knows that they're not better than them. So the attitude is more reflexive. It can be knee jerk sometimes and project insecurities. It's a populist mindset that's prevalent in Texas.

I like that Texas and Houston are humble places and I agree that if someone is getting too boastful to shut then down but this knee jerk reaction, automatic fire to preemptively "humble" someone is just plain silly. No one has to revere or worship a guy for their success or keep their head down in shame for their lack of riches but this equivalence of the regular joe with the successful billionaire is just bananas.

It reminds me of the same outlook on small towns and anti-city sentiment by exurbians and small town folk. They can say whatever they want about how dirty, crime filled and scary the city is but if you say their small town ain't charming or their exurb is boring they act as though you took a wiz on the Bible. They think how dare you criticize their way of life, it's what God intended. They think you're being arrogant. It's the same with what we are talking about. Not putting a salt of the earth working man on the same pedestal as Elon Musk or any other billionaire genius is ultimate arrogance.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:50 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdz1979 View Post
Um, without a teacher he wouldn't be where he is. No man is an island.
They say those who can't teach but I don't knock down a teacher. I greatly admire them. I'm just saying I don't place them on the same ladder of success. Im just measuring success.

Look there is a humble way to be and I like that about Houston but there are people in Houston that are just haters. It can be a haterific city where people will want to take you down a peg if you mention you live in an upscale area in the inner loop or own a flashy car or do anything that might cause someone to feel insecure about their stance in life.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:31 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,288 times
I see some of this too. I ran into Lance Berkman at the Sushi Choo Choo a few times. Not exactly fine dining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post

[/i]

Old 05-23-2017, 06:35 PM

218 posts, read 220,768 times
Quote:
They say those who can't teach
A very dusty, yet interesting saying. Here's one of my favorite refutations to that particular idea. Sorry about the quality. I couldn't find a better video in the time allotted.

https://youtu.be/EzT5iKpxjFA

Old 05-23-2017, 09:11 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
He's 21 with more going for him than most posters on this forum.
He's hustling and anyone can appreciate someone who hustles.

Op, join a country club. Lots of networking opportunities. Meanwhile, develop your golf and tennis skills and have a good time.

I have 20 trillion dollars

Wait does that mean I have 20 trillion or did I just post that on the internet?

Old 05-23-2017, 09:16 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times
Rich and wealthy?

Old 05-23-2017, 09:43 PM

693 posts, read 1,107,891 times
Very upscale neighborhoods like Denver Harbor, Acres homes and Sunnyside are usually where the upper crust like to hang out.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:13 AM

256 posts, read 155,883 times
Quote:
I was talking more about someone like an Elon Musk, some Texans will still try to humble him. And I do think a heart surgeon saving lives and making half a million a year is more successful than a teacher. It doesn't make the former a better person per se but better at life, sure. I just don't get why Texans in general won't let a guy enjoy his success? There is this defensive attitude about it. You don't need to humble people.
Mainly because he's a hack charlatan who acts as if he has a special insight into industries that Houstonians have collective millennia's worth of experience and knowledge on, rather than a unique ability to swindle investors and government officials based on personal charisma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston