Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 06:43 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,255,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I just think it's tasteless and bad manners to brag about own money.
Person should EARN the respect of others.

I guess OP wasn't taught as a child: you don't talk about money and you certainly don't boast about your own wealth. And it's even more distasteful to discuss money during a recession like the one we are experiencing now.
If bragging about his wealth it's the "opening line" then his behavior will probably attract wrong crowd, and wrong kind of "girls". Most likely not what he is looking for.
That's the difference between old money and new money. Old money doesn't mention money. Profession, education, professions yes, but money never. Old money people are taught that when they're young. That comes with class. Bragging about money is tacky and very nouveau riche. It attracts the wrong people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 10:55 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
OP post is not about sharing information about wealth, and teaching/discussing financial steps to wealth.
OP brags about being millionaire, who is is wondering where to meet hot girls, or mingle with Rich and Wealthy.

We are now way off topic.

Sorta, yes. Many people still feel that way.
Here's Why Millions of Americans Feel Like the Recession Never Ended | The Fiscal Times
Sorry People's feelings from a year ago don't make a recession

Old 05-25-2017, 07:19 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
That's the difference between old money and new money. Old money doesn't mention money. Profession, education, professions yes, but money never. Old money people are taught that when they're young. That comes with class. Bragging about money is tacky and very nouveau riche. It attracts the wrong people.
I wish I had money to brag about it

Old 05-25-2017, 01:39 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times
To reiterate, I never said that bragging is something that's ok, just that I don't pay it any mind and don't understand this need to humble people like some Houstonians do. And if I feel the guy or gal have boasting rights I would just let them have their fun as long as they're not obnoxious. Living in LA you get used to wealthy people having this air of confidence that makes them look aloof to others and could be mistaken as arrogance. Think of Russell Brand in the movie remake of Arthur. Just aloof and very self aware of their wealth. They're not jerks just very very happy in life. I know that type of person might annoy the crap out of some Houstonians, even if they're the nicest person.
Now I'm just used to it and notice when I come back home that some people take this humble pride a bit too far and develop a knee jerk reaction to anyone like I described above.
And to answer a poster before, yes this is proly not a Houston thing per se, I see it less in the city and more in the exurbs and country burbs where I grew up. Lots of "humble pride" there.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:53 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
People are so sensitive .... he can brag about his money or whatever
I drive a $2000 car and it doesn't hurt my feelings

You might ask .... why a $2000 car?
Because I pay cash for my cars

Old 05-26-2017, 07:56 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times
Dopo, that is kind of how Houstonians are about people who flash their money. The guy did seem a bit of a braggart but he didn't seem like a jerk about it. I couldn't picture him based on his posts to be obnoxious. But I know the boasting about money and success makes Houstonians feel a bit uncomfortable. There's a need to humble people like the OP in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston