U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2018, 01:20 PM
 
20,276 posts, read 9,224,619 times
Reputation: 13127

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
You sound pretty bitter. You should probably let it go...its been nearly 30 years. The current maps are drawn in a thoughtful way that makes sense. No apartments are carved out now, and its drawn to keep neighbors attending the same schools...Its currently drawn properly.
I’m not bitter, but your “we work hard and the other people are slackers” attitude, coupled with the talk of property values on the south side rubbed me the wrong way. I don’t have a dog in this fight because I live in Katy now. Fact is, Northbrook used to be a good school, and now it looks like a hellhole. And the school board of the 1980s did that, comprised mostly of people whose kids went to Memorial with your same attitude. If the zoning is better now, more power to you.

My kids go to a pretty good school even though it has a relatively high free/reduced lunch population of students. I’m very glad they get to go there with kids from many different income levels. It gives them a better perspective and empathy in my opinion. But out here in the ‘burbs, the kids are usually still living in homes with two parents even if they’re poor. Their parents are still interested in their children getting a good education.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2018, 12:13 PM
 
1,483 posts, read 1,589,312 times
Reputation: 2505
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Right....and everyone should all make the same amount of money, regardless of whether they are surgeons or unemployed. We can all hold hands and sign kumbaya! Money matters, and schools drive property values in Texas...Any planner who ignores that fact is oblivious to the world we live in.
No one is saying that. Surgeons should definitely make more than restaurant workers--that's even the case in social countries. The issue is when the discrepancy is SO GREAT that the society becomes lopsided. I don't understand this "either/or" mentality--it's a plain silly approach to a complicated problem. And economically, it is simply not true that everyone could be rich if only they tried. Our economy necessitates that the majority be low or middle income. That's fine, but then there need to be certain standards for the low/middle income people. They need access to the same quality, for instance, in education, sanitation and healthcare. You have stated that the education is the same, but that is not true. If a school zone has parents mostly struggling, working two jobs to make ends meet, the kids are going to need more institutional support. That's just the way that it is. It would also help enormously to have those kids who are struggling in with kids who are not struggling.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2018, 01:00 PM
 
1,831 posts, read 1,200,596 times
Reputation: 2986
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
No one is saying that. Surgeons should definitely make more than restaurant workers--that's even the case in social countries. The issue is when the discrepancy is SO GREAT that the society becomes lopsided. I don't understand this "either/or" mentality--it's a plain silly approach to a complicated problem. And economically, it is simply not true that everyone could be rich if only they tried. Our economy necessitates that the majority be low or middle income. That's fine, but then there need to be certain standards for the low/middle income people. They need access to the same quality, for instance, in education, sanitation and healthcare. You have stated that the education is the same, but that is not true. If a school zone has parents mostly struggling, working two jobs to make ends meet, the kids are going to need more institutional support. That's just the way that it is. It would also help enormously to have those kids who are struggling in with kids who are not struggling.




For a variety of reasons, Houston has a significantly large and concentrated illegal immigrant, poor Central American, and other third world immigrant population. The key to any success for what you propose lies in maintaining an optimal ratio. You cannot help one group at the expense of the other; no sane parent will accept that, regardless of their worldview.

If you propose to integrate these two groups in order for the struggling group to benefit from the assistance of the other, you need to ensure that the kids who are not struggling be provided with what they need, in order to reach their optimal academic and social potential. That is how a rising tide lifts all works.
.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 09:57 AM
 
2 posts, read 935 times
Reputation: 10
Bump for the start of the new year. How are the dual language programs still doing? How is the transfer process going? Looks like all the good schools are closed to transfers like always. I'm trying to figure out what we are going to do for our little ones. I don't like that in my neighborhood every house is sending their kid to a different school. Each family sends their kid to a different private school. I liked growing up all going to the same schools.

options:
1. dual language
2. transfer to another school
3. Private school
4. go to zoned school
5. move to spring valley
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 10:24 AM
 
2,480 posts, read 6,776,616 times
Reputation: 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by spring woods guy View Post
Bump for the start of the new year. How are the dual language programs still doing? How is the transfer process going? Looks like all the good schools are closed to transfers like always. I'm trying to figure out what we are going to do for our little ones. I don't like that in my neighborhood every house is sending their kid to a different school. Each family sends their kid to a different private school. I liked growing up all going to the same schools.

options:
1. dual language
2. transfer to another school
3. Private school
4. go to zoned school
5. move to spring valley
Can’t speak to Dual Language programs. But I will say that we used to live in Oak Forest. And while I (and my daughter) really liked the school - I didn’t like the middle and High school we were zoned to. I understand that they are getting progressively better - but I had a middle schooler at the time and it just wasn’t going to work for her.

We move to the Spring Valley area so my younger daughter could go to Valley Oaks. We live north of Spring Valley, so technically not IN Spring Valley, so get the benefit of the zones schools and not the price tag of the houses south of Westview.

But my daughter now loves the idea that the kids she’s going to school with - almost all of them will continue on to the zoned middle school (Spring Branch) and then on to Memorial High. Whereas, in Oak Forest - most of her Girl Scout troop went to private schools, and most of the families I knew were planning on private for middle and high schools after Oak Forest. So my daughter’s friends would all go in different directions. For a city where it can be difficult to just let your kids out to roam and play in the neighborhood after school - during school hours may be the only time they really see their friends.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 08:32 PM
 
10 posts, read 7,921 times
Reputation: 22
Dual language programs are still sought after. Process is still the same. Tours in the fall and applications due in February.

Several schools north of 10 have a go local campaign going and more folks in spring shadows, royal oaks, Sherwood (a little different because this is a dual language school) are sending their kids to the neighborhood schools.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 01:14 PM
 
2 posts, read 935 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Housportsfan View Post
Dual language programs are still sought after. Process is still the same. Tours in the fall and applications due in February.

Several schools north of 10 have a go local campaign going and more folks in spring shadows, royal oaks, Sherwood (a little different because this is a dual language school) are sending their kids to the neighborhood schools.
How does the dual language program work? I get that they take half English and half Spanish in school day but are all classes with the same home room of students all day or are they mixed in with the entire school for some classes?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 09:02 PM
 
10 posts, read 7,921 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by spring woods guy View Post
How does the dual language program work? I get that they take half English and half Spanish in school day but are all classes with the same home room of students all day or are they mixed in with the entire school for some classes?
Might differ from campus to campus not sure.

For us, there was an English class and a Spanish class in the lowest grades and they mixed them for a portion of the day. In older grades the dual language classes are split 50-50 English Spanish and all classes are taken with home room. Recess and lunch are the whole grade and I think they also mix the whole grade for specials.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top