Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 07:44 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,927,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Katy is tiny? Really? Land wise or population?
What are unincorporated areas? 77084?
both.

Katy covers 10 sq miles and has a pop of about 10,000.

either way, it is tiny.

The unincorporated areas are the areas that have not been annexed or has not been formed into a new city.

Harris County alone has about a million people who do not belong to any city.

about 250K of these are in the Katy area. But the city of Katy itself is really tiny. You should see it sometime. Not there is much to see

Old 05-30-2011, 07:56 PM

to avoid confusion and nit pickers let me explain further.
Annexation jurisdiction is based on city limits. Cities above 100K people get a five mile border around the city in which any unincorporated development can be annexed into the city.

Katy is tiny and thus has little to no jurisdiction.
so when I say Katy is small, it is small. The hundreds of thousands of people who live in the Katy area are not in Katy's jurisdiction but falls entirely within Houston's jurisdiction.

The 250 people cannot be said to be in suburbs of Katy, they are suburban Houston residents and can be added to the city of Houston if the city wishes.

here is Houston's ETJ map:

Old 05-30-2011, 09:02 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,797,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
both.

Katy covers 10 sq miles and has a pop of about 10,000.

either way, it is tiny.

The unincorporated areas are the areas that have not been annexed or has not been formed into a new city.

Harris County alone has about a million people who do not belong to any city.

about 250K of these are in the Katy area. But the city of Katy itself is really tiny. You should see it sometime. Not there is much to see
I thought Cinco Ranch alone was huge.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I thought Cinco Ranch alone was huge.
you must not have read my posts??
Cinco Ranch is NOT Katy

Cinco is a census designated place in the Houston ETJ

It can be annexed into Houston but NOT KATY

My original post:

Quote:
you won't find good info for the Katy area,

the city itself is tiny (about 10K) but the Katy area has over 250K people in unincorporated areas

Old 05-30-2011, 09:56 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,834,996 times
Quote:
Annexation jurisdiction is based on city limits. Cities above 100K people get a five mile border around the city in which any unincorporated development can be annexed into the city.

so when I say Katy is small, it is small. The hundreds of thousands of people who live in the Katy area are not in Katy's jurisdiction but falls entirely within Houston's jurisdiction.

The 250 people cannot be said to be in suburbs of Katy, they are suburban Houston residents and can be added to the city of Houston if the city wishes.

Fort Worth is Houston all over again.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Fort Worth is Houston all over again.
Fort Worth's ETJ is no where as large and they have to work really hard not to get hemmed in.

Houston's ETJ is 1,200 sq miles and contains over 5M people.

FW grew like how Houston did back in the early 1900's, but FW does not have all the unincorporated pop that Houston did back in the day.

a lot of the populations 5 to ten miles away from FW are already incorporated cities.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:24 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,834,996 times
Quote:
Fort Worth's ETJ is no where as large and they have to work really hard not to get hemmed in.

Houston's ETJ is 1,200 sq miles and contains over 5M people.

FW grew like how Houston did back in the early 1900's, but FW does not have all the unincorporated pop that Houston did back in the day.

a lot of the populations 5 to ten miles away from FW are already incorporated cities.
Thats just insane....

Old 05-31-2011, 12:20 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,797,747 times
Quote:
you must not have read my posts??
Cinco Ranch is NOT Katy

Cinco is a census designated place in the Houston ETJ

It can be annexed into Houston but NOT KATY

My original post:
Cinco Ranch is in Katy though.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:34 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,946,339 times
Quote:

Part of me does not like this. I wish the unincorporated areas that use "Katy, TX" as an address were in Katy city limits instead. I think the area would improve. Currently, unless you are in a big master-planned community, the sidewalks stop and go. North Katy is filled with yard signs at every corner, etc. There needs to be some zoning around Katy. I also think I-10 and the businesses along it through Katy would look nicer also. At least The Woodlands is being released. Doubt Katy will be released since the City of Houston is annexing a lot of the commercial areas along I-10 and the Grand Parkway for tax revenue. Areas that Katy would have to use for tax revenue.

Quote:
Cinco Ranch is in Katy though.
Yes, Cinco Ranch residents consider themselves residents of Katy. They also go to Katy I.S.D. schools. Only difference is, the gutters read "City of Houston" on them. Other than that, this is all Katy for the people that live here, even though technically, they are controlled by the rules of Houston's ETJ.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Yes, Cinco Ranch residents consider themselves residents of Katy. They also go to Katy I.S.D. schools. Only difference is, the gutters read "City of Houston" on them. Other than that, this is all Katy for the people that live here, even though technically, they are controlled by the rules of Houston's ETJ.
I think he was being difficult from the start I said the katy are has lots of people but the city of Katy itself was tiny, and he kept asking the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston