U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-11-2011, 04:46 PM

9,995 posts, read 9,692,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Black African American Demographics Population

Atlanta: 1,707,913
Houston: 1,025,775

It's a 682,138 difference. I think Houston is standing its own with Atlanta AKA "The Black Mecca."
I'm shocked at how close Houston is to Atlanta considering Houston's large Hispanic population.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:54 PM

Census: Many African-Americans Leaving Northern Cities CBS Chicago

Old 07-13-2011, 10:26 AM

111 posts, read 97,263 times
It may be kind of late to answer the OP's question, but here goes (and my answer is coming from a different angle). We lived in Atl for 3 years then moved to Houston. In relocating, we thought that Houston would be similar to Atl bc of it's size and business opportunities. Once we got here, however, we were surprised by how slow Houston is. You would think that it being such a huge metro area, that it would be much more fast paced (similar to Atl). Atl is like the NY of the south, everything moves at a fast pace and there always seems like something to get into. Houston is not like that at all. Dallas seems to be more fast paced than Houston.

Another difference is the ppl. In Atl alot of ppl seem to try to "keep up with the joneses". For the most part, they at least seem to do it well. Beautiful ppl seeming to live beautiful lives. In Houston, ppl from the same income level may attempt to "stunt" but it comes across as fake "bougie". For example, how are you "balling" but you are complaining about having to pay $10 cover charge to get into the club? Another example, thinking you look better than someone but you are wearing a $2 outfit from some bootleg store on Harwin. These things don't really happen in middle class Atl. They may be broke trying to stunt, but at least they do it well. From what I can tell, Dallas is more like Atl in this respect.

Houston while it still has it's share of home wreckers is no where close to how Atl is. Most (and I stress most) women will respect your household, while I found that Atl is completely the opposite. I am addressing this bc when we moved to Atl, the lack of respect by both sexes was shocking.

Houston caters to the Hispanic population more than Atl. Based on your criteria and locations you've already noted, professionally this may not be as much of an issue to you as others, but almost all jobs outside of corporate America (esp anything that requires dealing with the public) require you to be bilingual in order to be hired. So it's kind of a no-brainer to guess who gets most of these jobs. Which then leads to customer service issues. For example, last week I went into a Wal Mart in the middle of the day and stopped 4 different employees to ask a question and not one of them spoke English, thereby making them unable to answer my question. It is kind of crazy to have employees there (and more than 1 no less) that cannot speak the predominate language. This also bleeds into the school system in particular the elementary and middle school levels. A lot of schools still mix ESL (English as a Second Language) students with English speaking students which inhibits the teacher from teaching at a regular pace and inhibits the English speaking students from getting the most out of their education.

Houston's economy and job market is primarily oil and gas driven. The majority of the corporations are oil and gas related, whereas Atl has a variety of industries and corporations such as Coke, Chik Fil A, Turner, etc just to name a few. Houston has Shell, BP, Exxon, etc. If you can get a professional position in an oil company you will be set to go anywhere in Houston.

Atl while considered the black mecca of the south, still has a distinct "old south" feel to it. When we moved there, they were voting on partially keeping the confederate flag. That was kind of wild lol! And it was pretty common to see ppl with the flag in their yard and on their cars. That's not the case in Houston (esp in metro areas). However, if you go into the smaller country towns, it's a whole different ball game. Texas while part of the "south" is not like Ala, Miss, and Ga. Not sure how to put into words, but it is just a different vibe.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:40 PM

717 posts, read 135,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchiskey View Post
It may be kind of late to answer the OP's question, but here goes (and my answer is coming from a different angle). We lived in Atl for 3 years then moved to Houston. In relocating, we thought that Houston would be similar to Atl bc of it's size and business opportunities. Once we got here, however, we were surprised by how slow Houston is. You would think that it being such a huge metro area, that it would be much more fast paced (similar to Atl). Atl is like the NY of the south, everything moves at a fast pace and there always seems like something to get into. Houston is not like that at all. Dallas seems to be more fast paced than Houston.
That would be based on where in the city you lived. You're the first person I've ever heard describe Houston as slow compared to Atlanta. Most people I know view it as being faster, while less tourist friendly. Atlanta does have nice public trans though, while Houston does not.

Quote:
Another difference is the ppl. In Atl alot of ppl seem to try to "keep up with the joneses". For the most part, they at least seem to do it well. Beautiful ppl seeming to live beautiful lives. In Houston, ppl from the same income level may attempt to "stunt" but it comes across as fake "bougie". For example, how are you "balling" but you are complaining about having to pay $10 cover charge to get into the club? Another example, thinking you look better than someone but you are wearing a $2 outfit from some bootleg store on Harwin. These things don't really happen in middle class Atl. They may be broke trying to stunt, but at least they do it well. From what I can tell, Dallas is more like Atl in this respect.
Both scenarios are found everywhere. I can tell you this much. Boughetto chicks that buy a Fendi bag and think they're somebody, and broke dudes that think they're a star because they got on some Louis Vuitton sneakers. This is in Houston and Atlanta

Quote:
Houston while it still has it's share of home wreckers is no where close to how Atl is. Most (and I stress most) women will respect your household, while I found that Atl is completely the opposite. I am addressing this bc when we moved to Atl, the lack of respect by both sexes was shocking.
Something else that is not unique to any city.

Quote:
Houston's economy and job market is primarily oil and gas driven. The majority of the corporations are oil and gas related, whereas Atl has a variety of industries and corporations such as Coke, Chik Fil A, Turner, etc just to name a few. Houston has Shell, BP, Exxon, etc. If you can get a professional position in an oil company you will be set to go anywhere in Houston.
Well, first of all, Coke and Chik Fil A are not industries, nor do most of the people in the Atlanta area work for these big name companies. Second, Houston is far more than just energy. It also has one of the largest medical districts in the world (which is a leading employer), one of the busiest international ports in the world, and of course there's NASA, amongst other industries. There are also more Fortune 500 companies in the Houston area.

Houston's economy may be technically less diverse, but Atlanta is a jack of many trades master of none type of business city. It's mostly notorious for air travel. Houston also did much better during the recession while Atlanta is just now turning around.

Quote:
Atl while considered the black mecca of the south, still has a distinct "old south" feel to it. When we moved there, they were voting on partially keeping the confederate flag. That was kind of wild lol! And it was pretty common to see ppl with the flag in their yard and on their cars. That's not the case in Houston (esp in metro areas). However, if you go into the smaller country towns, it's a whole different ball game. Texas while part of the "south" is not like Ala, Miss, and Ga. Not sure how to put into words, but it is just a different vibe.
Can't argue that. If you want that Ala, Miss, Ga vibe, you have to drive up further north into deep east Texas.

Last edited by Chalie Brown; 07-13-2011 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 12:44 PM

15,832 posts, read 18,434,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
That would be based on where in the city you lived. You're the first person I've ever heard describe Houston as slow compared to Atlanta. Most people I know view it as being faster, while less tourist friendly. Atlanta does have nice public trans though, while Houston does not.

Both scenarios are found everywhere. I can tell you this much

Well, first of all, Coke and Chik Fil A are not industries, nor do most of the people in the Atlanta area work for these big name companies. Second, Houston is far more than just energy. It also one of the largest medical districts in the world (which is a leading employer), one of the busiest international ports in the world, and of course there's NASA, amongst other industries. There are also more Fortune 500 companies in the Houston area.

Houston's economy may be technically less diverse, but Atlanta is a jack of many trades master of none type of business city. Houston also did much better during the recession while Atlanta is just now turning around.

Can't argue that. If you want that Ala, Miss, Ga vibe, you have to drive up further north into deep east Texas.
That dude seems to be speaking heavily on personal experience moreso than in general.

I don't think he lives in Houston; let alone been here.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post

Both scenarios are found everywhere. I can tell you this much. Boughetto chicks that buy a Fendi bag and think they're somebody, and broke dudes that think they're a star because they got on some Louis Vuitton sneakers. This is in Houston and Atlanta

Well, first of all, Coke and Chik Fil A are not industries, nor do most of the people in the Atlanta area work for these big name companies. Second, Houston is far more than just energy. It also has one of the largest medical districts in the world (which is a leading employer), one of the busiest international ports in the world, and of course there's NASA, amongst other industries. There are also more Fortune 500 companies in the Houston area.

Houston's economy may be technically less diverse, but Atlanta is a jack of many trades master of none type of business city. It's mostly notorious for air travel. Houston also did much better during the recession while Atlanta is just now turning around.

First let me ask, have you lived in both?

Houston is waaaaaay slower than Atl. It is like a spread out country town.

They are everywhere, but it's a difference.

You having said this leads me to believe that you have never lived in Atl. The disrespect to relationships is like none other that I have encountered. I am a female and had not only men but women trying to be "other person". This was on a consistent basis. Not to mention the warning I received from a coworker when I first moved to Atl, she told me if you come to Atl married, you will more than likely leave divorced.

I didn't say they were industries. I said "and corporations such as Coke and Chik Fil A". Nor did I say that most of Atl works for these companies. I was merely offering a contrast to the variety of corporations that Atl offers vs houston. You are correct about the medical industry in Houston. Isn't NASA shutting down?

I didn't say which fared better in this economy. But with oil and gas reporting record numbers, and the medical business booming, who wouldn't go with Houston?

Old 07-13-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
That dude seems to be speaking heavily on personal experience moreso than in general.

I don't think he lives in Houston; let alone been here.

She currently lives here in Houston.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:50 PM

7,085 posts, read 3,794,917 times
Quote:

Houston caters to the Hispanic population more than Atl. Based on your criteria and locations you've already noted, professionally this may not be as much of an issue to you as others, but almost all jobs outside of corporate America (esp anything that requires dealing with the public) require you to be bilingual in order to be hired. So it's kind of a no-brainer to guess who gets most of these jobs. Which then leads to customer service issues. For example, last week I went into a Wal Mart in the middle of the day and stopped 4 different employees to ask a question and not one of them spoke English, thereby making them unable to answer my question. It is kind of crazy to have employees there (and more than 1 no less) that cannot speak the predominate language. This also bleeds into the school system in particular the elementary and middle school levels. A lot of schools still mix ESL (English as a Second Language) students with English speaking students which inhibits the teacher from teaching at a regular pace and inhibits the English speaking students from getting the most out of their education.

Wrong! Atlanta is nothing like New York. Atlanta and Houston are more like each other than New york and Atlanta. Slow? Nothing to do? You need to get out your house more. I find it hard to believe that you couldn't find anybody who spoke english at Wal-Mart. As far as economies go, Houston is only second to New York in regard to fortune 500 companies. Fortune 500 2011: Cities with most companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

As far as "Balling" or where you buy your clothes, who the effen cares? What is this High School.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Wrong! Atlanta is nothing like New York. Atlanta and Houston are more like each other than New york and Atlanta. Slow? Nothing to do? You need to get out your house more. I find it hard to believe that you couldn't find anybody who spoke english at Wal-Mart. As far as economies go, Houston is only second to New York in regard to fortune 500 companies. Fortune 500 2011: Cities with most companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

As far as "Balling" or where you buy your clothes, who the effen cares? What is this High School.

It actually is the southern city that is most comparable to NY. Have you lived in Atl?

I didn't say that I couldn't find anybody that spoke English in Wal Mart, I said that I asked 4 ppl a question and none of those 4 ppl spoke English. You seem to be getting upset for no reason and not reading the post thoroughly.

I said nothing bad of Houston's economy.

Ppl in Atl care, which is why I made the comment.

It seems as though ya'll are thinking I'm talking down on Houston, but I'm not. OP asked for a comparison, and I gave it to them from the perspective of someone who has lived in both areas, and more specifically moved from Atl to Houston.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
It actually is the southern city that is most comparable to NY. Have you lived in Atl?

I didn't say that I couldn't find anybody that spoke English in Wal Mart, I said that I asked 4 ppl a question and none of those 4 ppl spoke English. You seem to be getting upset for no reason and not reading the post thoroughly.

I said nothing bad of Houston's economy.

Ppl in Atl care, which is why I made the comment.

It seems as though ya'll are thinking I'm talking down on Houston, but I'm not. OP asked for a comparison, and I gave it to them from the perspective of someone who has lived in both areas, and more specifically moved from Atl to Houston.
However, how has your experience as a black person been in Houston compared to Atlanta (since that's the topic)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston