Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 07:11 PM

75 posts, read 202,923 times

Advertisements

Are Atascoctia High and Humble good schools?

Old 05-04-2011, 07:14 PM

209 posts, read 523,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30236 View Post
Are the schools close to Fall Creek and Summer Wood good? High School? Middle School?
Yes they are good.

As far as African Americans go, it is also very good. Humble High School (which services the north side of Beltway 8, the the exception of the neighborhoods touching beltway 8) is about 40% Black and 40% hispanic. It serves a more At risk population.

Summer Creek High school is about 38% black 37% hispanic and serves a more Upper middle class population.

Both schools are excellent for black kids. Humble High School is probably a tad better given that it offers the IB program to all the districts students, while having a strong Majority minority presence. Their are only 3 IB high schools in Houston (lamar, Eisenhower, and Humble).

its an open district, so you can send your kid to any high school, but mind you the African American Presence is strongest at Humble and Summer creek. id stick to your local Middle and Elementary schools though. Fall Creek/Summer wood area have some really good ones.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30236 View Post
Are Atascoctia High and Humble good schools?
they are both really good schools.

However if you are in Summerwood/Fall creek area...you are serviced by Summer Creek High school.

but like i said, you can choose to send your kids to what ever high school.

Summer Creek and Humble are the most similar demographically, but different culturally. Humble has a higher percentage of economically disadvantaged students, but has a very good graduation rate for those kids. And they feature a the IB program....which is internationally recognized program.

Atascocita is not a school id recommend, if you are having to transport your own kid. Its not only a longer distance, but traffic is horrible.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexas1 View Post
With possible exception to Lamar and Bellaire all of the schools in the HISD fit that criteria.
Lamar, Bellaire, and Westside....very good schools.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUM398 View Post
Yes they are good.

As far as African Americans go, it is also very good. Humble High School (which services the north side of Beltway 8, the the exception of the neighborhoods touching beltway 8) is about 40% Black and 40% hispanic. It serves a more At risk population.

Summer Creek High school is about 38% black 37% hispanic and serves a more Upper middle class population.

Both schools are excellent for black kids. Humble High School is probably a tad better given that it offers the IB program to all the districts students, while having a strong Majority minority presence. Their are only 3 IB high schools in Houston (lamar, Eisenhower, and Humble).

its an open district, so you can send your kid to any high school, but mind you the African American Presence is strongest at Humble and Summer creek. id stick to your local Middle and Elementary schools though. Fall Creek/Summer wood area have some really good ones.
Thank you, hun. Where did you get this information from?

Old 05-04-2011, 07:44 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexas1 View Post
With possible exception to Lamar and Bellaire all of the schools in the HISD fit that criteria.
I can name a dozen schools that are not half as bad as Marshall
Heights High School
Incarnate Word
Hope
St Thomas
St Pius
Debakey Hugh School
HS for Performing and Visual Arts
Carrington
Strake Jesuit
Scarborough
St Johns
St Agnes

These schools may not be the most highly ranked nationally, but they are not war zones like Marshall.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:54 PM

Are there other communities that meet our criteria besides the other two beautiful communities?

Old 05-04-2011, 08:02 PM

57 posts, read 86,931 times
I live close to communities like those in Alpharetta and Milton.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:03 PM

57 posts, read 86,931 times
I change my mind about the houses. Those houses do look like houses in Atlanta. I think I was looking at the wrong ones.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:04 PM

131 posts, read 172,123 times
O wow I didn't think thurgood marshall was like that.. I just remembered when it was first built. I thought it was a new school. new attitude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston