Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 11:05 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
You have to remember news traveled slow during those times; while blacks were freely living there lives in places like Georgia; blacks were still doing slave labor here in Texas. Blacks weren't officially emancipated in Texas until a few years after the Emancipation Proclamation; that is what Juneteenth is all about. These type of things set our AA community back and delayed us when it came to growth and development within our black communities.

Atlanta's location helps it become a stronger and larger AA base; it sits in the middle of the largest AA populated region in the country. Houston sits pretty much on the edge of it all. Once you get west of Houston; African American communities become very sparse and are pretty much non-existent. Houston's black community has accomplished and overcome a lot just like any other place. Houston has had it's protest, sit-ins and boycotts just like those in the SE. The only difference is our acts and stands against racial intolerance wasn't heard or publicized.

Houston Student Movement - [Historic Media Resource]
WOW! I'm surprised Houston isn't a haven for the blacks that live in New Mexico, Arizona, and other western states.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:13 PM

111 posts, read 208,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Let me stop you right there. Being that I'm one of the outspoken brothas who reside in Houston. Being that I work with grassroots organizations in Houston that are for the progression of black ppl and being that I have been around plenty of brothas n sistas in Houston or moving to Houston for economic gain I will def. say you're wrong WRONG WRONG on you're description of the black "power" base in Houston. Simply put real black power is Black independence that doesn't have to rely on a system created by a white supremacy institution such as the government of America. Neither Atlanta nor Houston or any other city in America has true black power. However Atlanta does have a slight edge over Houston in regards of seeing more economic diversity amongst blacks "making" it in America. But also in Atlanta you have more of a ignorant amos and andy scene more so then you do in Houston. That just comes with the territory I guess when you have so many blacks from all over the country coming into the city because of HYPE then you have the most of damn near everything including the good and the bad. And it's alot of "the bad" in Atlanta that made me not choose to want to live there. "Good ol boy mentality"??? Yet again I can remember a big number of blacks in Atlanta fighting over some got damn housing authority applications? So yet again brothas n sistas who can't strive for self begging the white authority for some crumbs. You would never see this in Houston.

‪American Welfare Chaos: Free Obama Houses in Atlanta‬‏ - YouTube

Houston's black social scene is underrated to many ppl outside of Arkansas, Louisiana and really just Louisiana or other parts of Texas who are already familiar with the social scene and economic structure in Houston. Which I think apart of that is because of Houston location, it's down bottom and not in the center of everything like Atlanta or even Dallas so it has a lone star mentality inside the lone star state, but for alot of ppl who come down here there shocked and some either like it enough to move down here like I. And for the record I'm born and raised East Texan and moved to Houston because I felt it was the better city FOR ME outside of Dallas and Atlanta which I had the chance to live in either or.

I'm not bashing Atlanta because I actually like Atlanta but I feel in my opinion it's overhyped and to say it's the NY of the SOUTH?? LMAO STOP IT. some Atliens love being NY little b#tch. QUIT ITTTTTT. NYers don't give yall that title. That lil apple term really came from all the east coast transplants that moved to Atlanta due to college or whatever and felt like making the country a lil more cityfied. Which is in big part a reason why Atlanta has gained so much popularity because of the many transplants that moved out there. It's worlds apart from City Atlanta and Metro Atlanta. Be real on that. Stop trying to claim some stuff like them out of towners aint come and hip yall country cats to some "bigger and better thangs" yall love to throw out there like it's just Atlanta home grown. Ya smelling ya own **** and it aint all GA peaches researchiskey. Nobody in there right mind would say ATL is NY of the south. ATL,Dallas,Houston honestly are more comparable then anything. I mean in what way is ATL the NY of the south please tell me? Let me guess, cuz NYC is the big apple and yall the big peach. right tee'hee I get it cuz yall both fruits huh..it makes perfect sense.. tee'hee. Please I can remember specifically when I was in ATL visiting my cousin and we were going out to the malls and the clubs cats would compliment me on my fashion sense and swear up and down I was from the eastcoast. "Aye folk where u git dem shoes from der folk dem junts fie folk"-says local ATL brotha as if he had never seen the pair of sneakers or clothes I rocked before even though I know ATL more so gets the "newest" n "latest" trends before Houston but then again I shop online from NYC retail spots but them cats was just as country, even more country.

As far as Dallas being more fast paced then Houston. Look coming from a east texan perspective. More ppl from North East Texas would choose Dallas to live in then Houston. Because most feel like east texas is more like Dallas. It has big city qualities,close to home, and it's also a place you can kick back in relax. It's a big city but sometimes you run into the same crowds way too often so it gives it that hometown feel too. Houston is worlds apart, not by much but it is. Houston is faster, bigger, rarley do you run into the same person twice, it's further from north east texas. It just moves to fast. Now this is coming from a east texan perspective. Houston is def. the faster pace city. Hole in the wall clubs?? Maybe you a hole in the wall ass person? Maybe you attract hole in the wall ass ppl? Maybe that's why you weren't built for Atlanta and skipped ya ass to Houston.
1. I'm not from GA or Atlanta, which I've stated several times.
2. You last sentence basically proves my point...even you feel Atl is better than Houston, otherwise why would you say that I wasn't built for Atl so had to come to Houston, bc it is a step down to you???
3. Why so emotional?

Last edited by researchiskey; 07-17-2011 at 02:45 PM..

Old 07-17-2011, 03:04 PM

Why do you guys continue to engage in ignorance? Let's have a nice and civilized thread!

Old 07-17-2011, 04:34 PM

The Houston Citizens Chamber of Commerce (http://www.hccoc.org/convention_tourism.html - broken link)

Quote:
Fifth in the nation in the number of black-owned businesses (88,777)
With 30.25% of the state’s black population, the Houston region should have 26,857 black-owned businesses.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:37 PM

http://www.houston.org/pdf/research/15KW005.pdf

Old 07-17-2011, 04:42 PM

Here's a Houston black/Hispanic website:
TheBlueZero.com

Old 07-17-2011, 08:59 PM

18 posts, read 18,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
and houston wasn't? whoever started the comparison this topic spurned from (black universities in the 1880s) used a dumb logic in the first place so it was stupid from the beginning.

i believe the logic was atlanta/GA was better in part because of a black power base forever ago --> all black universities in the 1800s. your comparing apples to oranges
I'd actually say that it was the Civil Rights movement and the politics of the mid-20th century in Atlanta that played the biggest part in what it is today.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:43 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchiskey View Post
That's bc I haven't given any personal info *shrugs*

What can I say that would prove it? They just put the red light cameras back on? River Oaks is located directly behind a strip mall with an heb, game stop in front of it, between westheimer and richmond? That the cops sit in between the medians on richmond to give tkts? That the horn is on richmond behind dave and busters next to scott gertners who employs half naked women to serve their food?
lol, now everyone knows that you know very little about Houston.

River oaks is between Westheimer and Richmond?? lol no wonder you are describing Houston opposite from what it really is. You are all turned about. River Oaks is North of Westheimer backing up to Buffalo, not towards Richmond at all. All those businesses in Upper Kirby that call themselves River Oaks this and that are not in River Oaks at all.

Tell me, when you were in Greenway Plaza did you think you were in Downtown?? Do you confuse Greenspoint Mall with the Galleria.

You started out the thread with about 25% credibility, it dropped the more you spoke, after that post you are hitting negatives

Old 07-18-2011, 07:43 AM

20 posts, read 42,831 times
Im with SouthernBoy, why all the ignorance? Im not from Atl, but i did attend Spelman. I am considering moving to Houston. I am coming from a very SEGREGATED place and I want something better (both I and my fiance do). From my research Houston sound like a cool diverse place for any race/ethnicity, is it really?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:48 AM

20 posts, read 42,831 times
Oh and what made most of you move to Houston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston