Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:26 AM

717 posts, read 898,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texx View Post
I understand why Houstonions want to downplay Houston's alleged "countryness" but lets be real for a second. Houston in my opinion is the countriest large city in the Unites States(especially in the black communities), and to say it is not country at all is more than a fabrication.

Lets take a drive thru the southside of Houston TX for a minute. Fly to Hobby and take a left on Airport and drive the 15-20minute drive it takes to get to 288. You will see country sh*t on the way that includes LARGE fields of grass with HAY, cattle, horses, dope fiends, vacant shot- gun houses, 5th wheels sitting behind cars, ect..If you are lucky and come thru on a Sunday you might get to see a trail ride(group of people riding horses, dranking, smoking) going down Martin Luther KIng stopping traffic. You dont see this in many large cities and this is why I LOVE HOuston. What is wrong with being country anyway and why did that become such a negative term that no one wants to be associated with. People have so many issues.

This does not reflect ALL of HOuston but anyone from Houston that tells you it does not exist is either lying or never been thru those black communities, but trust it there and is what truly makes HOuston UNIQUE to me.

Well this is a good point. If this is what someone meant by saying that Houston is "country" in the way it embraces this culture, then I can certainly agree with that. But that's not the same thing as saying Houston is slower than Atlanta.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:38 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
People from DC (a similar sized metro) move to Atlanta for a slower pace, so I think that statement isn't a good one.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:03 AM

18 posts, read 18,366 times
You can find trail rides in Georgia, but I don't think you'll find them in Atlanta specifically. But that city is not without it's country quirks. Pickup trucks, Confederate flags, sweet tea, shotgun houses, fried food, and football are still very visible part of the culture there.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:06 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Basically, I feel that Houston should market itself so blacks can know more about it, IMO. It shouldn't do what Atlanta did because from its marketing blacks are what really had Atlanta's population growing. I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.

Also, it's kind of weird that I've read posts from some of you guys saying that blacks from various places visit Houston with a negative view, but once they get a good grasp of the area, they love it. I still feel like blacks (we are a funny group of people. ) and other races think Texas is a cowboy haven. If Houston was to market itself a little more to outside black communities, I think many blacks won't view Houston and Texas in a "cowboy" manner.
Texas has the 2nd largest growing black population in the country. People have access to internet and other type of technology devices if they want to read up on Texas. Houston shouldn't have to market to anyone; we have a large thriving and growing black population; it's not like were Seattle or Austin. We've ranked tops numerous times in best places for blacks to live. Houston is a city for everyone; no one gets special treatment. It's the media that has put Texas in a bad light; not Texas.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Texas has the 2nd largest growing black population in the country. People have access to internet and other type of technology devices if they want to read up on Texas. Houston shouldn't have to market to anyone; we have a large thriving and growing black population; it's not like were Seattle or Austin. We've ranked tops numerous times in best places for blacks to live. Houston is a city for everyone; no one gets special treatment. It's the media that has put Texas in a bad light; not Texas.
Thanks for the clear up.The media can really cheat people.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:40 AM

18 posts, read 18,366 times
Lol, A&M.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 AM

153 posts, read 526,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Well this is a good point. If this is what someone meant by saying that Houston is "country" in the way it embraces this culture, then I can certainly agree with that. But that's not the same thing as saying Houston is slower than Atlanta.
I never really understood the "slower" word when describing cities because the term can and normally does mean soo many different aspects of city life. How does someone guage something like a city of 2 mil+ as slow or fast. The word "country" is a word I understand alot better and I would say compared to the rest of the country, Houston and ATL are both country, albeit I believe Houston proper to be moreso than Atlanta proper.

After living in Baltimore for a year, I recently came back home and it looked more country to me than ever before-and I really understand what some out of town people mean when they say it is country.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:55 AM

270 posts, read 478,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texx View Post
I never really understood the "slower" word when describing cities because the term can and normally does mean soo many different aspects of city life. How does someone guage something like a city of 2 mil+ as slow or fast. The word "country" is a word I understand alot better and I would say compared to the rest of the country, Houston and ATL are both country, albeit I believe Houston proper to be moreso than Atlanta proper.

After living in Baltimore for a year, I recently came back home and it looked more country to me than ever before-and I really understand what some out of town people mean when they say it is country.
Being an east coast native I used to go on what time the local drug store or something closed.

I mean if you pulled into the local CVS at 9pm and their doors were locked......My cousins and I used to joke that something like that was really 'Bama'

The Irony of all that ? Just about everything where I live now closes at 9pm,lol

Small stuff. What time does subway and bus service stop ? In Boston you can catch the subyway up until 1am. Convience and access to certain things are what some may gauge cities on.

-Public Transit
-access to entertainment,etc
- school system
-local infrastructure/utilities,etc ( I know places in Alabama that until recently couldn't get certain internet/phone service because the companies don't deem it worth their time to come out so far for so few people.
- airline service may be limited. In the city my mom lives in in Alabama there is limited service from many carriers,but Delta is the biggest fish in the bowl there. ( While Continental may dominate in Houston,you can still choose mainline service from American,Delta,Southwest,JetBlue,and whoever else.

I think it depends on where you're coming from and where you end up. Where you came from may be strong in one area....but your new home may be lagging behind there. In the same way your new home may be waaaay ahead in other areas.

Or....you could move someplace that is just way ahead on all fronts,or waaaay behind.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Pendergrass View Post
Lol, A&M.
The media does. I wouldn't be surprised if Houston will not be in the top 3 destinations for blacks when reports come out. Even though Atlanta has been beat out economically by Houston, reports will more than likely put it before Houston (not like it would matter because people move where they want to).

Old 08-01-2011, 03:18 PM

Hmmmm.......didn't know this.
4th Largest City In the World Gets Its 1st Annual Black Film Festival Feb 24-27th, 2005, As Hollywood Celebs, TV & Film Executives, Directors, & Actors Plan to Converge on H'Town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston