Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 02:40 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
It depends completely on what happens in battery technology in the next 10-20 years. Solar is, and always has been, the energy source for all life on this planet. We just can't store it and transport it as efficiently as fossil fuels yet. Our species needs one or two more big steps in battery efficiency and we'll be there. Someday soon, this generation's Frederick Sanger will appear with a novel battery design that changes everything and we can finally take full advantage.
The batteries that are being designed for cars are going to be what causes the demise of the oil industry.

It's a bitter irony that the industry that started the demand for the oil industry (automobile) will cause the decline of the oil industry.

Tesla will be the new GM and Trina Solar the new Exxon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 02:48 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Houston needs to take a page from Dallas and spend its time courting non-oil businesses. I think they have definitely gained great ground here, but we still have a ways to go.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Houston needs to take a page from Dallas and spend its time courting non-oil businesses. I think they have definitely gained great ground here, but we still have a ways to go.
Dallas is a distribution hub due to its central location. Houston doesn't have that advantage.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:06 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Dallas is a distribution hub due to its central location. Houston doesn't have that advantage.
Once they get I-69 completed it will become a preferred route from Mexico to the eastern US and Canada and back over I-35. Houston is already starting to capture distribution to its own area, it's ridiculous that goods come into the port of Houston, then are put on trains to DFW just to be unloaded onto trucks to be brought back to Houston, believe it or not this is happening now. But there is all kinds of warehouse space being built in the east Houston burbs that will capture the local distribution and turn Houston into a logistics and distribution hub of it's own.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Once they get I-69 completed it will become a preferred route from Mexico to the eastern US and Canada and back over I-35. Houston is already starting to capture distribution to its own area, it's ridiculous that goods come into the port of Houston, then are put on trains to DFW just to be unloaded onto trucks to be brought back to Houston, believe it or not this is happening now. But there is all kinds of warehouse space being built in the east Houston burbs that will capture the local distribution and turn Houston into a logistics and distribution hub of it's own.
I-69 has made very little progress in the past few years. I believe that it will be another 30 years before even the Texas portion will have been completed. The Louisiana portion currently has no funds and won't for a long time. I'd suspect the Louisiana portion may take 50 years to complete.

Before you spout off, let me help you understand as I may be older than you...

Let's take I-49 as an example. Started in 1981 it still isn't finished in Louisiana. There is a segment in Shreveport that is not finished, and they still haven't even started the section in Lafayette.

36 years and not finished and Louisiana is a much smaller state than Texas so many less miles.

Don't count on I-69 saving anyone...

Old 06-24-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I-69 has made very little progress in the past few years. I believe that it will be another 30 years before even the Texas portion will have been completed. The Louisiana portion currently has no funds and won't for a long time. I'd suspect the Louisiana portion may take 50 years to complete.

Before you spout off, let me help you understand as I may be older than you...

Let's take I-49 as an example. Started in 1981 it still isn't finished in Louisiana. There is a segment in Shreveport that is not finished, and they still haven't even started the section in Lafayette.

36 years and not finished and Louisiana is a much smaller state than Texas so many less miles.

Don't count on I-69 saving anyone...

Nobody needs saving but I-69 through Texas is progressing faster than you think. Actually the main benefit to Houston will be the section between here and the Valley and most of US 59 is already interstate ready its just a matter of a few overpasses and literally posting signage, plus there is a spur to Texarkana that will allow travelers to avoid Louisiana (maybe for the reasons you site) and will connect I-69 to I-20 and I-30. Houston will carve out its share of the Logistics and distribution pie and it's happening now.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Nobody needs saving but I-69 through Texas is progressing faster than you think. Actually the main benefit to Houston will be the section between here and the Valley and most of US 59 is already interstate ready its just a matter of a few overpasses and literally posting signage, plus there is a spur to Texarkana that will allow travelers to avoid Louisiana (maybe for the reasons you site) and will connect I-69 to I-20 and I-30. Houston will carve out its share of the Logistics and distribution pie and it's happening now.
Very little done now, see map:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inters...69_(Texas).svg

Old 06-24-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:

There is a lot of construction going on now

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot...ojects_map.pdf

Old 06-25-2017, 09:36 AM

101 posts, read 139,805 times
Moved ato SoCal from Houston and with $.41/kwh for tier 2 (usage of more than 340 kWh), solar panels have become the norm. We don't even notice them anymore. 2,600 sq ft homes with pools have $600 monthly electric bills easy. And although we "iced" our pools in Houston, folks here have to heat their pools to get in for a swim (yes, even in July and August). With price of electricity here, ther is no option but go solar. If a house has it, once it hits the market it's the first thing under description: Owner purchased (not leased) solar panels! (And I used to complain about $.12/kWh when we lived in Texas...)

Old 06-25-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farink View Post
Moved ato SoCal from Houston and with $.41/kwh for tier 2 (usage of more than 340 kWh), solar panels have become the norm. We don't even notice them anymore. 2,600 sq ft homes with pools have $600 monthly electric bills easy. And although we "iced" our pools in Houston, folks here have to heat their pools to get in for a swim (yes, even in July and August). With price of electricity here, ther is no option but go solar. If a house has it, once it hits the market it's the first thing under description: Owner purchased (not leased) solar panels! (And I used to complain about $.12/kWh when we lived in Texas...)

How much of that .41c kwh is due to the regulatory scheme in California ? California is rich in carbon resources they could easily deliver the same economy as Texas, and if they did what would that do to the Solar industry there ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston