Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:52 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,415,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
Yes. Chicago has a very active gay community.

The Heights sounds wonderful. Wow. It sounds better than Montrose. I have been to Montrose but not the Heights.

What is the architecture of the housing like in the Heights? Is it older and with character?
Heights is mostly early 1900s primarily Craftsman style homes. However, there is a lot of new construction in the area, much of it in the same style, but there are townhome complexes and the like that look more at home in Montrose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 12:12 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,177,367 times
Default thank you

Thank you for the good information and links. The Har site will be new to me and I will check it out in a minute.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:26 PM

2,276 posts, read 4,011,548 times
In the heart of Montrose...

Bering Memorial Church

Old 03-17-2008, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,223 times
Default visiting houston

A very pertinent forum asking questions similar to my own quite well. I shall be visiting Houston probably in June to preview your town as a potential retirement location. I plan to spend a few days checking out the Montrose area so if anyone can recommend a convenient hotel or places to visit I thank you in advance. My name is Al and I currently live an work in california doing farm and ranch appraisals. I am 58 and single. Regards, Al. [MOD CUT]

Last edited by da jammer; 03-17-2008 at 09:53 PM..

Old 10-03-2022, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 414 times
Please note that I just moved to Dallas about 6 months ago, and only visited Houston a few times.

Read in a few comments folks saying that Dallas folks are more pretentious, care more about status than friends, and my experience has been far the opposite: everywhere I have been I felt welcomed by gays and straight, gay scene is live and tons of going on. Oak Lawn the gay neighborhood is walkable, a variety of nice gay bars and could have a better option of good restaurants — in comparison w gay hood from other metro cities, but there are plenty food trucks on the way out of bars. Good circuit scene too.

Houston is more spread out, definitely need a car to go around. Friends from both Houston and Dallas shared that the humidity is unbearable in Houston, but I have only been on spring, summer and fall and it was pretty comfortable.

Houston is definitely more diverse and IAH is a better hub for international flight than DFW.

I’m both cities I found gays are equally well integrated and welcomed in other neighborhoods, venues and activities.

Coming from SF, both are less cruise, you don’t see people making out or playing in bars, and you find more “faceless pics” on grindr.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:33 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,343,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gui.Alvarenga View Post
Please note that I just moved to Dallas about 6 months ago, and only visited Houston a few times.

Read in a few comments folks saying that Dallas folks are more pretentious, care more about status than friends, and my experience has been far the opposite: everywhere I have been I felt welcomed by gays and straight, gay scene is live and tons of going on. Oak Lawn the gay neighborhood is walkable, a variety of nice gay bars and could have a better option of good restaurants — in comparison w gay hood from other metro cities, but there are plenty food trucks on the way out of bars. Good circuit scene too.
Entirely agree. The "Dallasites" are pretentious stuff you read about on this website is absurd. Never felt that Dallasites were any more pretentious than anywhere else.

Quote:
Houston is more spread out, definitely need a car to go around. Friends from both Houston and Dallas shared that the humidity is unbearable in Houston, but I have only been on spring, summer and fall and it was pretty comfortable.
DFW isn't spread out? What parallel universe did you visit DFW on? Try getting from Garland to Southlake and get back to me.

Quote:

Houston is definitely more diverse and IAH is a better hub for international flight than DFW.
Agree but DFW is underrated as far as being diverse and international goes.

Quote:

I’m both cities I found gays are equally well integrated and welcomed in other neighborhoods, venues and activities.
This is what I notice as well, but I'm not gay so I'm not the right person to ask.

Quote:

Coming from SF, both are less cruise, you don’t see people making out or playing in bars, and you find more “faceless pics” on grindr.
Why revive a more than 15 year old thread?

Old 10-03-2022, 12:30 PM

783 posts, read 415,964 times
Quote:

I’ve heard Dallas has a slightly better scene for the LGBTQ+ community but I’m not gay myself so I don’t think I can really comment on that. I don’t think Houston is more spread out, in fact I think the opposite is more true. Sure both sprawl but most things in Houston revolve around the urban core/Central Houston. Don’t think that’s necessarily true in DFW. Maybe one could think Dallas is more centralized because of its smaller urban core? Also seconding Oak Lawn is a great neighborhood to live in. Have visited quite a few times and seems similar to Montrose if not including uptown Dallas in Oak Lawn.

Old 10-03-2022, 12:53 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,933,782 times
I definitely find Dallas more pretentious than Houston.

Old 10-03-2022, 01:57 PM

8,196 posts, read 5,312,911 times
I am not gay, but 2 of my 5 best friends are.

The common consensus is that the gay nightlife is much more lively in Dallas but that there isnt a better city to be gay in. I could somewhat see that. When my wife and I lived in Dallas we used to go to gay bars and clubs all the time. Here, its a much smaller selection and they are more scattered.

But day to day gay life, they are both good for that.

Old 10-03-2022, 06:11 PM

1,555 posts, read 753,355 times
Doesn’t matter. You get to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston