Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 10:58 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Really, just because you put in my face and I don't like it that makes me intolerant? Maybe I need my space just like everyone else. Do you really have to it put in my face so I can acknowledge that I accept you for who you are and I tolerate you just like everyone else? Why the face? I mean at work we're there to add to the bottom line and respect diversity and all that and yet I get this huge rainbow flag in my face. I don't see the same thing at work for memorial or independence day? IN MY FACE just like the rainbow flag??? That's true diversity, lets respect and acknowledge all the important stuff. My point is that I am not against it, I am just against putting in my face like the whole LGBTQ thingie. I am not asking you to stay in the closet, just act normally and do things like everyone else. Why do you have to be so flamboyantly different?

Please enlighten me, what a tolerant person in your view looks like in a situation like this? And try harder than "I am intolerant"

Yes, you're very intolerant. Painting a few rainbows in the Houston gay district isn't shoving anything in your face, no more than Chicago dying the The River green for St Patrick's day.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:42 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Quote:
Really, just because you put in my face and I don't like it that makes me intolerant? Maybe I need my space just like everyone else. Do you really have to it put in my face so I can acknowledge that I accept you for who you are and I tolerate you just like everyone else? Why the face? I mean at work we're there to add to the bottom line and respect diversity and all that and yet I get this huge rainbow flag in my face. I don't see the same thing at work for memorial or independence day? IN MY FACE just like the rainbow flag??? That's true diversity, lets respect and acknowledge all the important stuff. My point is that I am not against it, I am just against putting in my face like the whole LGBTQ thingie. I am not asking you to stay in the closet, just act normally and do things like everyone else. Why do you have to be so flamboyantly different?

Please enlighten me, what a tolerant person in your view looks like in a situation like this? And try harder than "I am intolerant"
Unless somebody has been constantly shoving rainbows in your face, Barney Frank's reply works for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYlZiWK2Iy8

Last edited by txdemo; 06-21-2017 at 04:57 AM..

Old 06-21-2017, 09:17 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Yea they got sued and lost didn't they, and now they have to reimburse some money to area businesses ?

I did find something called, Renaissance On Montrose Homeowners Association, Houston Texas

Renaissance On Montrose Homeowners Association, Houston Texas - Board Members & Property Manager
That's just one housing complex, probably condos or townhomes, where one would expect to have an HOA - but only within the boundaries of the development.

In general, Montrose doesn't have any HOA that requires dues as a condition of the property deed that covers more than a single housing development. There are some civic associations (the North Montrose Association has signs in the medians on Montrose for example). I think Avondale, which is close to this intersection, has one, but I don't think it is a mandatory HOA; it is voluntary.

The management district would be the most appropriate entity to fund maintenance, as it is funded by commercial properties and apartments, and the properties fronting this intersection are commercial (as is essentially everything along Westheimer).

Old 06-21-2017, 10:31 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,391 times
Quote:
Do you really have to it put in my face so I can acknowledge that I accept you for who you are and I tolerate you just like everyone else? Why the face? I mean at work we're there to add to the bottom line and respect diversity and all that and yet I get this huge rainbow flag in my face. I don't see the same thing at work for memorial or independence day? IN MY FACE just like the rainbow flag??? That's true diversity, lets respect and acknowledge all the important stuff. My point is that I am not against it, I am just against putting in my face like the whole LGBTQ thingie. I am not asking you to stay in the closet, just act normally and do things like everyone else. Why do you have to be so flamboyantly different? "
Quote:
I don't see the same thing at work for memorial or independence day?
That's because you probably aren't working those days and watching fireworks.

It's all relative.
Quit putting your Jesus fish in my face
Quit knocking on my door selling me your religion
Quit putting your Trump/Obama bumper stickers in my face

Old 06-21-2017, 10:33 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
My point is that I am not against it, I am just against putting in my face like the whole LGBTQ thingie. I am not asking you to stay in the closet, just act normally and do things like everyone else. Why do you have to be so flamboyantly different?
So you want them show public affection in public places just like "normal" heterosexual couples do? (holding hands, kissing, making out, a little smack every now and then, etc)

Last edited by Dopo; 06-21-2017 at 10:41 AM..

Old 06-21-2017, 11:06 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:

Just don't go to that intersection and it won't be in your face. Simple.

Some people make everything about them, even when it has nothing to do with them. Get over yourself, no one cares if you're upset that this is supposedly in your face. People are going to be different, sometimes flamboyantly so. If you're mad that this is the case, that's a personal problem you're going to have to deal with on your own.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:19 AM

218 posts, read 220,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
So you want them show public affection in public places just like "normal" heterosexual couples do? (holding hands, kissing, making out, a little smack every now and then, etc)
Thank you for this post. I had a similar response but you beat me to it. Being gay I deal with this ideology often. People that feel like this just don't want to be reminded that there are gay people. They want us to be quiet because we offend their sensibilities. Legally they can't discriminate against us so the next best thing is stealing our voice and shuffling us off to some whitewashed version of homosexuality that they can stomach.

My mother in law is like this. It took two years for her to even acknowledge that I was more than just her son's "friend". She still refers to me as his "friend" in front of her family and friends. She even had the gall to say that we should be sleeping in separate beds. I guess like a Lucy and Ricky type thing. Does she not realize that we have "relations" just like she does with her three different boyfriends, a secret that we all have to scramble to keep. I say "relations" so as not to offend anyone's precious sensibilities with actually talking about (looking around and whispering) men having sex with each other.

Out of sight out of mind I guess.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:28 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Well, yeah. And it's not like the community at large (i.e. all of us) got to vote on it, so to speak. It's ultimately a highjacking of a natural object, and changing what its represented for thousands of years into something utterly different, by a relatively small percentage of the overall population.

If you like the rainbow and want to display it due to traditional appreciation, people these days will think you mean the new connotation instead. So it's also confusing and misleading.

Why couldn't they simply create their own symbol? Artists, groups, and businesses do that all of the time. It's not difficult at all.
God made a terrible mistake by not putting a patent on the rainbow.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:42 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdz1979 View Post
Thank you for this post. I had a similar response but you beat me to it. Being gay I deal with this ideology often. People that feel like this just don't want to be reminded that there are gay people. They want us to be quiet because we offend their sensibilities. Legally they can't discriminate against us so the next best thing is stealing our voice and shuffling us off to some whitewashed version of homosexuality that they can stomach.

My mother in law is like this. It took two years for her to even acknowledge that I was more than just her son's "friend". She still refers to me as his "friend" in front of her family and friends. She even had the gall to say that we should be sleeping in separate beds. I guess like a Lucy and Ricky type thing. Does she not realize that we have "relations" just like she does with her three different boyfriends, a secret that we all have to scramble to keep. I say "relations" so as not to offend anyone's precious sensibilities with actually talking about (looking around and whispering) men having sex with each other.

Out of sight out of mind I guess.
Shouldn't you be equally as upset with the gay establishment that tries to make homosexuals more appealing for straight America? I think they've done just as much to push this whitewashed version of the LGBT community. I don't like the intolerance as much as you do but I've heard it from my older gay friends that they think the self appointed priests of the gay movement such as GLAAD do a lot to push the varied and diverse gay culture into this one homogeneous thing that's palatable for mainstream America.

Just trying to get your opinion.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:43 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
God made a terrible mistake by not putting a patent on the rainbow.
You are wrong, he did

Genesis 9:13
I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston