Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 08:35 AM

20 posts, read 46,380 times

Advertisements

We want to build a large cat enclosure along the side of our house. If you have done this, can you make some suggestions? Or do you know someone who can build it for us? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 09:49 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,459,003 times
Do you own an exotic big cat or are you a breeder?

I hope you install some sort of enclosure with air conditioning. BTW, why have a cat(s) if they are going to be outside?

We have a cat for the companionship. Here she is right this very moment:

(Yes, I use my phone on the throne, lol)
Attached Thumbnails
Cat Enclosure??-image.jpg  

Old 06-25-2017, 10:31 AM

20 posts, read 46,380 times
No - we have plain ole domestic cats. Just want to give them
a quality, secure outdoor life since one in the family has become allergic.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:41 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,125,482 times
A quality outside life in Houston summer? I would re-home them before subjecting them to that misery. Why have them if you aren't going to enjoy their company?

Old 06-25-2017, 10:56 AM

814 posts, read 755,336 times
I think it's a great idea, cats like outdoors and hot weather. Houston is over populated and thousands of cats and dogs are euthanized each year, so finding them a new home doesn't sound like a good bet. As long as they're safe from predators and sheltered from rain.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:49 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,459,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peonypeony View Post
No - we have plain ole domestic cats. Just want to give them
a quality, secure outdoor life since one in the family has become allergic.
Got it. Please have an enclosure with a widow unit. Even if it's running constantly, it still won't cost you much running it throughout the summer.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:01 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,867,377 times
Some cat enclosures I've seen here in Austin have overhead fans. Most cats are fine as long as they have shade, even in July and August. Just make sure they have lots of water and something cool to lay on.

If you can, an A/C is even better (as someone already suggested).

One shelter I visited had an outdoor cat run with a cat door that led to a room inside the house. If you were to do that, the person who is allergic wouldn't have to go into that room.

During the winter, it sometimes doe get very cold in the Houston area (used to get a lot colder). Cats should not be left out in the cold when it's below freezing or when there's wind with the cold. They must have shelter, such as igloos full of blankets or hay.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:15 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,125,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Some cat enclosures I've seen here in Austin have overhead fans. Most cats are fine as long as they have shade, even in July and August. Just make sure they have lots of water and something cool to lay on.

If you can, an A/C is even better (as someone already suggested).

One shelter I visited had an outdoor cat run with a cat door that led to a room inside the house. If you were to do that, the person who is allergic wouldn't have to go into that room.

During the winter, it sometimes doe get very cold in the Houston area (used to get a lot colder). Cats should not be left out in the cold when it's below freezing or when there's wind with the cold. They must have shelter, such as igloos full of blankets or hay.
Good idea

Old 06-26-2017, 08:16 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,766,133 times
I would agree with re-homing before forcing your cat to be outdoors. Is kind of 50/50 I think, I really don't know enough.

That being said cats can do well outddors just as well from what I can tell. I am in the opposite spectrum with my cat. I've been trying to get this darn stray cat inside the house for over 2 years and she refuses. She adopted us over 2 years ago and we absolutely love her. So I setup a profesional cat house during the winter with an automatic warm blanket and during the summers she is on our shady patio by the pool. Must be nice to be a cat and have your own pool I guess. But she is happy and kids love her. I know the cat was abused or unfortunate, broken tail, few other things, but we absolutely love her. She is family...... and what's up with the birds and lizards she keeps bringing into the patio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
A quality outside life in Houston summer? I would re-home them before subjecting them to that misery. Why have them if you aren't going to enjoy their company?

Old 06-27-2017, 12:42 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,672,898 times
We used Purrfect Fence for our cat enclosure. It's quality. We had a door flap at one house and a window flap at another. They could go in and out. The only downside is it's held onto the poles with zip ties. Those ties are plastic and they don't hold up in the Texas heat. We had to replace them every six months.

Cat Fence: Purrfect Cat Enclosures and Cat Fences
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats