Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:13 AM

5 posts, read 50,655 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am looking for a public preschool for my child in the NW Houston area. She has limited English proficiency but I could not get past the birthday requirement of September 1. My daughter will be 4 years old on September 2 this year. Do you know and have any similiar situation that the school will allow admission any way? Is there some sort of grace period past the September 1? I have choices of Klein ISD, Cy-Fair ISD, Spring ISD. Any information on this will be grateful. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 06:25 AM

Default PreK age cut off

No comments/suggestions? Nobody???

Old 03-20-2008, 09:03 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,597,669 times
Call them directly to get more info.
CFISD - Contact us

Old 03-20-2008, 09:46 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Klein ISD has a Pre-K program, you have to qualify in other ways besides age--and if you can prove financial reasons then it is paid for by the district.

Not sure about Spring or Cy-Fair, though I am sure they have something...what about a PPCD program? Has your daughter been evaluated?

Old 03-20-2008, 10:20 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,206 times
Since when did the school districts start paying for preschool?

When we had our son in Montessori school it cost us $1000/month.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:46 AM

9 posts, read 66,406 times
Montessori school are different from public schools. Public school is free for 4 year olds if you qualify.....otherwise, you have to wait until the child turns 5 years.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:13 AM

377 posts, read 1,346,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Since when did the school districts start paying for preschool?

When we had our son in Montessori school it cost us $1000/month.
uh-oh.. Thats the standard for montessori ? you are paying that (monthly) for 5 days a week and 10 hours a day ? Do they have part time options ?

Old 03-21-2008, 05:50 AM

799 posts, read 3,693,899 times
Montessori doesn't have part time at least not as far as I know. They are expensive and sometimes hard to get into. They usually have a waiting list.
They are very good though. I have known several children who went to them.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:06 AM

I contacted CFISD but they are very short on theie answer stating: it's the state policy. They didn't want to discuss with me about making exeption for 1 day. I don't think that's too much of a stretch on the rule. Klein ISD, I couldn't get a hold of the person in charge or respond to my numerous messages. I even called the TEA but could only talk to the answering machine. Public Preschool is free. Private school is too expensive for me. I think my daugher will be too old/mature to start preschool and kindergarden just because she missed the enrollment cut off by ONE day. I wonder if anyone has personal experience that the school bend the rules. Please keep all your comments/suggestions coming. THANKS!

Old 03-22-2008, 07:00 AM

799 posts, read 3,693,899 times
Well in my case, I never went to kindergarden, my birthday is the 25th of sept. I went straight into first grade . The only thing is kindergarden is so much more faster now. the kids know how to read by the time they go into first grade.
You could go to a private daycare that teaches a preschool curriculum (home daycare).It wouldn't be near as expensive as the public schools. I know a lady out here who has been doing home daycare for thirty years. She has a whole curriculum for her older preschool children.The parents love her and she is caring for children of the children she once was a provider for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston